Is it strange to support more than one club?

Discussion in 'Introductions Board' started by InterFan76, Nov 28, 2012.

1. OnlineSoccerCoaching

Jan 13, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It's common for people to have a soft spot for another club, whether its an admiration for the football they play or following your favorite player

XxXsoccer_fanXxX repped this.
  2. jakefake3

jakefake3 New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, I've seen many do that.

3. XxXsoccer_fanXxX

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My favourite team is Real Madrid, and nothing will change that, it will always be MY team. I'm a Madrista and proud. I LOVE the way the team plays.

Other than that, I LIKE Milan, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, and PSG.

However, in the CL my team is Real Madrid and none of my other top 5.

Also, I REALLY like Barcelona's Tiki Taka passing style, but I can't really support it because they're rivals. I do respect the team and enjoy seeing it play, except against Real Madrid :p

Overall, I love football and respect all teams.

InterFan76 repped this.
  4. CBWizard

CBWizard Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Nope not at all, I support several different teams, and my favorite club is Frankfurt since my Mom used to work there for 8 years while I took vacation in Germany and the rest of Western Europe in Summer. Its funny though, and in fact my preferred soccer league is Premier League.

5. Rolomoto

Rolomoto New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I like a couple of teams

6. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know it's strange but any of you guys out there follow teams from the same league? For me it's a no no to like or follow anyone in the Serie A besides my beloved Inter. But, in Brazil and Argentina I like watching a few teams.

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    there are two or three teams in france besides lyon whose results i always check, and watch if they're on TV.

to make sure they LOSE!

La Magica repped this.
  8. scott wilson

scott wilson New Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Club:
    Real Betis
    as long as its not for glory hunting reasons

9. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It sure ain't lol. I love River in Argentina started following when FSC had the rights the Aimar,Saviola,D'Alessandro era. But, have been following Racing in the Torneo Final 2014 since Valntin Viola is on loan from Sporting Clube de Portugal. Inter is my heart my soul. The other clubs just give me enjoyment when Inter isn't playing against them or playing at all.

10. OzFootballFan

OzFootballFan New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Not really, aslong as they are in different leagues its ok,
    A lot of people here in Australia support a local club in there state league, then have a A-Aleague team (National competition) and probably an overseas team eg in the EPL, Serie A or La Liga etc

11. Lewis Everett

Lewis Everett New Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wouldn't say its strange it depends on your reasons :)

12. pxmoseredux

pxmoseredux Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Absolutely not! I try and support one in each country...for instance here are my clubs:

Liverpool UK
    Roma Italy
    Vasco Brazil
    PSG France
    Dortmund Germany

13. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have a few different teams too.

MLS - Philadelphia Union
    Home team, nuff said.

Bundesliga - Bayern Munich
    Big Schweinsteiger fan since the 2008 WC, team also had/has a multiple guys that I watched then, so I followed them to the club team.

National Team - Germany/Sweden
    Germany is and will always be my #1. I also support Sweden though aside from playing Germany. Both of these due to my heritage. Germany hooked me in 2008 with Schweinsteiger, Ballack, Klose, etc.

EPL - West Ham United
    Believe it or not, I don't follow this team because of GSH. Randomly caught a couple games on TV of them playing ManU (I hate ManU lol) by chance a few years back and stuck with them since. Also, hard not to follow a team with a guy named Tomkins (my last name, although slightly different spelling).

I never got into the French/Italian/Spanish leagues...

14. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think it's great to support a team from different leagues, and countries in particular. It's part of getting emotionally involved with the competition, to make games more interesting. What I seriously cannot respect is supporting two teams from the same competition, or to support a big team in spite of your local one. This happens very frequently in my country and is the source of huge disparities between clubs.

s7kru repped this.
  15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    sporting braga! my son recently hitchhiked from paris to lisbon and along the way he got a ride with fernando couto.

raviept repped this.
  16. Ribeiro dos Reis

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #166 Ribeiro dos Reis, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    No, that is completely uncommon, i never heard of it, and don't even make any sense.

Benfica - Sporting is the oldest football rivalry (popularly even called "the eternal rivalry") in Portugal, is also the most played derby in Portugal and both clubs have a long history of identity differences, not to mention the rivalry outside the fields. The only reason for him to supports both clubs is that he completely ignores the history of both clubs and is not an even an adepto (see below) of any one; you cannot be a fan of Benfica and a fan of Sporting at the same time: that's is like saying a communist is very much like a capitalist: the waters cannot be mixed. And since there are in reality only 3 national clubs in Portugal, that means their identities are clearly defined and they're big enough to be exclusive.

Even though the rivalry has downgraded in recent decades for a number of reasons, i still think it's the biggest rivalry in Portugal.
    Now, that doesn't mean we need to have to be killing each others around or so. That's ridiculous, and anti-sport. And there are many friends that one is for Sporting and the other is for Benfica (or Porto). Of course.

----
    On topic, i think there are a couple of misunderstandings around here, since there are many type of fans and many type of clubs. This is complex social world, and is not even a rigid world and probably varies between countries, so i will use some words in Portuguese to have a better understanding.

In Portugal, for instance, there's a division between being in a claque (supporters group), being a sócio (associate member), being one adepto (a follower), and being a simpatizante ("sympathizer"), and there are even some subdivisions among them.

There are adeptos who are loyal or faithful (in most cases, they are sócios) and there are those who are only adeptos. There are those who are sócios and simpatizantes, but they are not adeptos. There are those who are adeptos of one club and simpatizantes with other smaller ones.

I don't think this had anything to do with strangeness; i just feel that liking one club because we like the colours, one particular player, or their team, or their constant winning, has nothing to do with being a follower, but with being a well-wisher, or like the word i used, a simpatizante.

One cannot be adepto-faithful of many clubs. This one never leaves the club and cannot love any other, despite if it wins or not, despite of any particular player leaves and so on. So i think the word "support" here is being used in general terms without much meaning.

s7kru, raviept and guignol repped this.
  17. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've had this debate many of times before, but i'll put in my bit...

For me, I've always supported the club from where I'm from as its the tradition to do so...

But what you'll find is a lot of people get being a ''fan'' mixed up with being a ''supporter'', they're two totally different things...a supporter will generally go to games which is supporting a club (both by being there to support your team, and financially), and by buying merchandise (not that you have to).

A fan is just someone who doesn't support a club, but admires the club or one of its players etc (enjoys following or watching a certain team play).

So I'm of the opinion you should support one club, simply because every other team is a rival. And you could be a fan for a 100 teams for all I care, and tbh I never get why that bothers some people, if that's what people want to do then let them get on with it, that their own choice.

I also love people from different countries being a fan of my club, I would welcome you all with open arms.

InterFan76 repped this.
  18. SoccFan35

SoccFan35 Member

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago
    I think especially in soccer its perfectly fine. I can't enjoy a league if I don't have a team to root for (which is why I cannot really get into NBA) so I pick one per league usually. I do think you should pick an explicit #1 that would trump any head to heads in regional competition.

Even in International I'm a fan of multiple national teams which I know sounds silly but it is usually due to their style of play/history especially since I know my country will be eliminated early in the World Cup or not qualify and, again, I need to pick a team to be invested.

19. David Connolly

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No.

(Ignore me, I'm just trying to get enough replies in so I can start a thread.)

20. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I totally agree with you. I should have worded it better I support Inter with my heart and soul and I am a fan of the others I listed for various reasons.

21. DamianY

DamianY New Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I support:

Liverpool
    Liverpool Ladies
    Canada (Women in particular)
    England
    Toronto FC

Soft spots for Lille, Ajax, Dortmund, African countries in the World Cup, promoted EPL clubs

22. marcuspaulomm

marcuspaulomm New Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My clubs:
    Palmeiras - Brazil
    Barcelona - Spain
    Bayern Munich - Germany
    Manchester United - England
    PSG - France

Esportes

23. soccerskillerzz

soccerskillerzz New Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    can you guys check out my youtube channel? I post soccer tutorials and skills. Thx. Most recent video:

24. Madman1

Madman1 Member

Feb 1, 2014
    London
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I support West Ham, I like other teams but that's it like, being a full time supporter takes a lot and to be honest there only ever one team you can truly support

InterFan76 and guignol repped this.
  25. RobinVanRobben

May 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Toronto FC and Ajax.

What about dual national support? I would love to cheer on the Canadian men's team more often, but do not have the chances. The Canadians women's team and Netherlands give me many more opportunities.