Is it arrogant for Brazil to think it can win the world cup?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by SweetLife, Nov 22, 2012.

1. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time they won it...:D

2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    France 1998, England 1966, Uruguay 1950. Laugh all you want, takes them out of the winners group very little.

You say it's more likely than not that a new winner emerges? Who exactly? Portugal, USA, Netherlands? Bigger chance than all the past champions combined? :thumbsup:

(Not saying a new champ won't emerge, but now that Spain won it, the likelihood of that surely isn't over 50%)

3. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team like Colombia could emerge as Champions.

4. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I'd rank Mexico over Colombia just because of their style of play, but I think Mexico will only really be a legitimate threat in 2018 (assuming their U17 and U20 talent progresses, which I think it will).

5. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    True.

Still I'd say the combined chance of the already champions is more than 50%, but I'm 100% fine with agreeing to disagree as this debate is going nowhere fast.

6. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1- The five stars on my avatar show that it is no arrogance to think Brazil can win a world cup. Particularly one played at home

2- No European nation has ever won the cup in South America and I doubt this is going to change now. Expect Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay or Colombia or even Mexico as winners. Argentina has Messi and a player like him can win the cup single handed.

3- Brazil has a great goalkeeper in Diego Cavalieri and a great striker in Fred. Both have done an incredible Brasileirão. I actually think the reason Mano was fired is because he didn't want to put them on the team. The game in Argentina last Wednesday showed how wrong he was (good riddance!).

7. Luckyone

Luckyone Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Brazil can of course win the World Cup, no doubt about this

They have strong players, possible the strongest in the world.
    But I think they will not win it, because they are a young team and the mental Pressure will be very high at home. Furthermore throught their youth they will lack tactical Qualities, so against Ball Dominating Teams (Spain) it will be very hard to get the ball at all.
    So i will give them a 20% Chance max to win it all. Spain and Germany will also have a equal chance, followed up by Italy, Argentina and Portugal.

8. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I actually agree completely with those groups.
    Brasil, Germany, & Spain
    then Italy, Argentina, & Portugal
    then Holland, Columbia, Uruguay, and the major underdog that has a shot Mexico

9. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uruguay and Holland are over-hyped.

I am now starting to believe Brazil may go out in the group of the confederations cup since you seem to really fear Uruguay.
    If you get Mexico in your group at the Confed cup the ultimate humiliation could happen with the host exiting in the group stages!

10. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    What is overhyped? Are there 8-10 teams better than Holland and Uruguay? Both have a shot at winning it.

11. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you are basing your analysis on the last world cup then fine but, I am looking at the teams current form. Uruguay is getting hammered all over the place and there is a chance they may not even qualify for the world cup. Based on the last world cup though YES, these 2 teams finished 2nd and 4th while Brazil was between 5th and 8th.

12. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Everybody has their own opinions, nothing wrong with that. I do base my opinions on this on recent major tourneys. Of which Uruguay made the semis of the WC and WON the Copa-America. A few recent games in qualifying shouldnt take precidence over that.

13. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If recent major tourneys are the basis for who are the favourites in 2014, Brazil shouldn't be in the first group together with Spain with Germany.

2011: CA -> 5-8.
    2010: WC -> 5-8.
    2007: CA -> winners.
    2006: WC -> 5-8.

Given that they haven't exactly lit the world on fire in friendlies/minor matches lately further suggests this. That said, I think they are a strong favourite nonetheless, but really need to get everything perfect if they want to win it - not that that isn't true for any other team as well.

SweetLife repped this.
  14. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    strikers
    damiao, pato, luz adriano, wellington nem, ademilson, hulk, neymar

goalkeepers
    rafael cabral, gabriel, cassio, neto, victor, jefferson, diego alves, renan ribeiro

plenty of players to choose from.. heck too many compared to other teams brasil has enough talent to win it all... on talent alone they should be the favorites

[]__[]

15. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree! It will take a miracle but, miracles happen. A clinical 20 goal a season(in Europe) center forward could emerge! One of Brazil's keepers may be considered world class!!

16. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some of those guys are wingers and not strikers. None of those strikers would get in the squad of the biggest teams in the world. The same applies to the keepers.

none of these players are considered world class!

17. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

if you are referring to a strictly center forward damiao, pato and luiz adriano as a group are as good as any other three from any country in the world... besides brasil might not even use a number 9,

the keepers are all good enough and being world class is only relative and subjective ..... your opinion is they are not because you go by what the media tells you to believe and you probably never seen them play anyways

[]__[]

18. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen them play:D

Either way back on topic, Brazil is under a bit of pressure! Just like we call Mexico a Round of 16 team in my area of the forum, Brazil may soon become a quarter final team!:eek::whistling: Of course many teams dream of even making it to the quarter final but, it seems Brazil is stuck there!!

19. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOLOL stuck there are you crazy? they won it in 2002 only two teams italy and spain can claim they won it more recently... and before last one spain had been pass the quarters only once in their history and now everybody is sucking their d.ic.ks as if they invented the game.... when was the last time germany, argentina, france, holland, england, and uruguay won it

one team that can always be considered a favorite of any tournament they enter is brasil.... they have won more trophies in every category than any other country in the world...

brasil makes the quarters of any tournament they enter just by showing up with a little luck they can win it.....

[]__[]

20. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why I suggested Brazil should not hire a Spaniard as a coach. It would have been a new low. One quick correction Brazil has not dominated Copa America. Go read up on who has!:D

21. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

never said they dominated copa america i said they have won more trophies than any other country in the world with 5 world cups, 4 copa america, 3 confederation cup, 5 U-20, 3 U-17 cups, 13 beach soccer cups, and 5 futsal world cups.....

[]__[]

22. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Argentina has better (of course, their level all around doesn't match their attackers).

Agreed with SweetLife that Brazil definitely is under pressure and WC is a huge challenge. Gonna be an interesting club season leading to the WC next season, as people really have to be "hot" to earn their place.

23. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    italy will win trust me. this is not old italy and when they perfect 3-5-2 formation they will be force. with new young players like veratti. insigne and others italy will be force. only reason why they lost euro final was injuries

24. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy is too old. By the time the tournament comes around many of the players will be 32-33... Too old for international football. Having one old guy is not a problem. having a team full of them is.

25. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    imo:

1. The only reason Italy lost the final definitely wasn't Italy's injuries.
    2. Italy isn't "too old". They're always a potential candidate in WCs, just like Brazil.