Is it arrogant for Argentina to think it can win the world cup?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by SweetLife, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I honestly don't know what you guys keep giving this guy the time of day. The question was formulated in such a stupid way, that it warranted no attention at all.

SupaMario repped this.
  2. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    its ok to have this thread , but title has to change my suggestion will be " what has to be do for lifting WC in 2014..."

3. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread is harsh reality! When the chanting dies down one has to deal with reality and, unless you magically find 2 decent central defenders and a world class keeper it will be 2010 all over again!

4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    pueden mejorar mucho todavia y tienen potencial para hacerlo.......pero hoy en dia, argentina es un equipo muy diferente atacando que defendiendose.....

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually, Romero wasn't half bad on 2011 Copa America, and since then has mantained a decent level. The only mistake i recall from 2012 is against Brazil in the 4-3 match, but other than that I think he has been doing just fine. In fact, he was essential on the last Eliminatorias (Qualifiers?) match against Chile.

Of course he's not Fillol, but neither was Pumpido in '86. I think it's the back line we have to be concerned about.

6. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Considering that Argentina has been in 3rd place in the FIFA standings for two months running. I say we have a shot.

7. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  8. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA ranking is a joke.

pepinointer repped this.
  9. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's alright but, when you add him to your poor central defenders you can see the disaster 2014 will be.

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No one cares about this. The important thing is that boca lost.

pepinointer repped this.
  11. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The only thing that is a joke is you.

Leon12 and xdryza repped this.
  12. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What does that say about the teams below Argentina? Your comment implies they are not very good. I agree they have issues, but your statement loses it's perspective. The World Cup is incredibly difficult to win.

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Valdano finished when it mattered, though. Argentina has a pretty good shot at winning 2014 in Brazil.

14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    International tournament isnt all about players quality. Mentality and luck played a huge role. Italy reached Euro final recently with Balotelli upfront, scoring twice against Germany, so I think we might consider him better than Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney and Klose?!

Everyone think Holland will do well in 2012 Euro because their WC performance and they have what this thread starter would consider "better defence and midfielder" plus 2 league top scorers. Yet, I dont remember them getting any point.

Argentina in 1986 was not considered as favorite, the same in 1990. Yet, it's back to back final. At the time Maradona said, it was all about Zico's Brazil and Platini's France.

Also, here's another reason why I think Argentina can go all the way.

[​IMG]

Pipiolo and Chesco United repped this.
  15. NuffSaid

NuffSaid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As this thread and this post proves, it is not arrogant for ANY nation to proclaim that they have a chance of winning a tournament - UNLESS it is England in which case it is EXTREMELY arrogant!!

16. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina definitely needs to get a new goalie before Brasil. Romero is just awful. Not just in the mistakes he makes, but in the fact he never makes any wonder saves and he lets in so many soft goals.

Look at the Germany game in 2010. No blatant errors, but if Buffon or Iker had been in goal for Argentina, Germany wouldn't have scored. Those were four VERY weak and soft goals all of which you expect your goalie to save.

In the copa america as well, against bolivia and uruguay, two soft goals.

I'd give Willie Caballero a shout. He's the best goalie in la Liga this season. At a local level, Barovero is a very confident keep, key with Velez and now River. I'd even prefer Andujar over Romero