Is it arrogant for Argentina to think it can win the world cup?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by SweetLife, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am well aware of the football at that time. Burruchaga played great, beyond what anyone expected, at the WC, but he never replicated that form with his clubs. He was a good player but was always carried by an exceptional one: Bochini at Independiente and Maradona with Argentina. His time in France is merely average, and there is a reason for that: even in a second-tier league at the time, he was unable to shine on his own.

The history of the rivalry between Uruguay and Argentina extends to nearly 100 years, we are speaking about a very specific and narrow period of time (85-89) when Uruguay was clearly better than Argentina, and only the genius of a unique player reversed what would have been a certain loss. Uruguay beat Argentina in two official matches they played following WC86: at Copa America 87 and again in 89. Finally, Enrique was not world class, Bilardo himself called him the "overall worker" type that he needed in midfield, implying he was no Ardiles or Cerezo.

I know you want to big up the River players, but here's an analogy: Passarella took to WC98 a team esentially made up of the River players that won the Libertadores in 96. Without a Maradona type, it went out at the quarterfinals.

2. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You know what Pipiolo I think Sabella will adopt the same idea. Try and build a reasonably solid defence and work on the midfield a bit more and hope/plan that the magic upfront led by Messi does the business.

The way defending is going these days across the board this plan may very well suceed. Messi has not even peaked yet, di Maria is improving although Kun and Higuain need to develop a little more than they have.

3. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Futbol is all about opinions.I dont agree about Enrique,Burruchaga or Ruggeri.Tell me who was better in his "working role" in 86 than Enrique.Burruchaga was magnificent for Independiente who in the eigthies were much more than a Bochini team.
    What the hell has the River team in 96 have to do with Argentina in 86.Anyone who saw Uruguay in the 86 World cup and tell us they were better than Argentinais living in cloud cuckoo land.You try and make the point that Uruguay were better because of the 87 copa when Maradona played but interestingly absent thru injury were you guessed it Enrique and Burruchaga.

4. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The answer to the question is no.

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You need to watch the 86 game again: Uruguay almost equalized once Paz and Venancio Ramos came in, the two actually combined to beat the defense and Ramos was set up one on one with Pumpido but thankfully the referee whistled a marginal though correct offsides. If Argentina were so much better as a team according to you, how come Uruguay came within half a meter from tying it towards the end of the game? Also, Maradona pretty much single-handedly made that goal by Pasculli, so there is no evidence that Argentina would have managed to score without Maradona playing, so at best it could have gone to penalties where Uruguay would have to be favored, as Alves was a better pk stopper than Pumpido, and their shooters would have included Francescoli, Paz, Alzamendi and Da Silva.

The match in CA87 was lost because of the absence of Caniggia. Also, while their absence was indeed felt, Enrique and Burruchaga being better than their backups does not mean that either is a world class player, particularly Enrique who just isn't in that class by any stretch of the imagination.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you watch all 14 Argentina goals in 1986 WC... 10 goals was assisted and scored by Diego, another 3 goals involved him in the process with only the first goal against Bulgaria has nothing to do with Diego. Plus countless wasted chance which created by Diego.

In WC 1990, Diego involved in 3 goals and Argentina only scored 5 in that tournament.

7. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I never said Maradona wasnt important but you could make exactly your argument about Messi in Barcelona today but are u going to deny Iniesta or Xavi as key players?

8. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    with players like messi, di maria, higuain, pastore, lamela, tevez, arguero, lavezzi... they should be considered one of the favorites so no the answer is no

[]__[]

Pipiolo repped this.
  9. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Albi, various of your fellow Brits in the Twitter-sphere are hailing Zabaleta as the best right back in EPL.

I think Galgo could be more than servicable as a LB - he's tenacious, perpetually involved, clearly has offensive nous, would not avoid his defensive responsibilities. Colo in the middle with Garay or Fede - what the hell is wrong with that back 4? Nada!

Just give Arrogant Argentina the Cup now ...

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  10. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All of them play the same position! Argentina is weak in defense, have average central midfielders and have an average goalkeeper. If you think a team can be on the attack all game you are wrong. They may dominate in the group stages but, when you get the the Round of 16 there are no clowns left and the flaws will be exposed!

11. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    you're still here? I see your still wrong. if you think Mascherano and Gago are average central midfielders thats your problem. the defense is average and improving.

so the question now shifts to, is it arrogant to act like you know a team when you dont? and already declare they will lose in the mundial when its still a year and a half away?

cigar_city and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  12. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need Masherano in central defense or, your defense becomes weak.

13. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Since when did you pick up a coaching license ? Have you actually watched him play this position or is it the trendy thing to say ?

He has struggled in this position for Barcelona in reading the offside trap, has been caught out under the high ball and outmuscled a few times by bigger taller opponents. He isn't a central defender. River Plate's coaches are no fools and realized this and moved him to defensive midfielder and he is probably among the 2 best players in that position.

When Peruzzi and Pezzella come in they will strengthen the defence no end.

CC there is a paucity of quality fulbacks in world football. More often than not they can attack but they cannot defend. Zabaleta is probably the best fullback in the EPL.

He is tenacious and attacks well and gives 100% which has endeared him to his club's fans. He was again in the team of the week yesterday.

I think if we can get Peruzzi in at rightback then Zabaleta could slot into his preferred position of leftback.

I've already ordered the food and drink for the 13th of July and accompanying fireworks. I was thinking of coming to Brazil in 2014 but given the security situation there and the way Tigre were treated as well as the shambolic organization it might be better to give it a miss unfortunately.

14. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Argentina can go very far in this tournament.
    They have been playing very organized defensively. Look at a team like Holland in 2010. Their back line was not a defensive Juggernaut but they played well together as a cohesive unit. I guess you can say their Keeper (Stekelenburg) is much better than Argentina's but he was not experienced in big tournaments when he took over. Romero has a few games and Major tournaments under his belt to say the least.

I think Sabella is doing a pretty good job as manager and can lead this team far. Especially since the tounament is in South America.

Albiceleste2010 and locoxriver repped this.
  15. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Yesterday i was talking about Galgo Gutierrez, who i always enjoy watching play, always terrorizing the left flank. While the Maradona reign was forgettable, particulalry the placement of CBs all over the back four, i thought Jonas ripping forward and back down the left flank from his occassional LB position was one of the very few positives.

Peruzzi is the real legitimate hope out there.
    Wherever Argentina or the US end up, i'm going to Fortaleza and relax!
    Brazil's Northeast Coast = most underrated beaches in the world.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  16. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    speaking about defense.... watching zabaleta for this season , he is fabulous in his position ... i will say he will be our new zanetti.... [feel free to disagree]

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's not that consistent actually, last season he was great for City. Against Newcastle last week he was solid but in Champions league games for example he's often exposed...against Saudi Arabia it was the same. But with his experience and workrate alone, he's solid player overall.

18. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least you are starting to admit your Central defense is not good compared to the best and the fact that the same thing applies to your goalkeeping.

Reaching the quarter final would be a huge accomplishment with a team that is so unbalanced. Zabaleta is good but, his performance in the Champions league along with the rest of his teammates at city leaves a lot of be desired. Overall Argentina has a chance but, I just can't see the team lifting the cup and I would feel that way even if it was hosted in Argentina. I see the team hammering the likes of Costa Rica, New Zealand, Tahiti etc in the group stages but, after that anything goes! A team like Portugal will put Argentina out by neutralizing your attack force and punishing your defenders and goalkeeper!

19. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You're a troll and a very poor one at that. What are you doing on this board ?

Needless to say our very poor and flimsy defence is the tightest in current CONMEBOL qualification and restricted the mighty Germans to one goal and the other year we beat the mighty Portugual with relative ease.

Go and post on a tiddlywinks board. It suits your level of footballing knowledge you bitter Brazilian or England fan.

Pipiolo and locoxriver repped this.
  20. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He is very solid. The best fullback in the EPL. That he has struggled in the CL ? Well so has Aguero and Tevez indeed the whole of the Manchester City side inc. players like Silva, Kompany have all underperformed.

21. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Make sure it doesn't end up as the latest installment of Far Cry amigo. ;) You'll have to run from Century's Best pretty quick......

22. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Spot on. I don't think defences worldwide are up to much at the moment. I struggle to find a centreback or fullbacks that stand out above the crowd. Perhaps for once it may well be the side that can score most rather concede the fewest goals that will triumph.

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Did you watch WC qualifier? he's good but not more than that.

Neutral always think German is a strong team and will win the World cup or Euro but what have they achieve since WC 90 and Euro 96? No WC, no more Euro... Italy did better despite looking sloppy and decent in qualifier.

England fans always think they could win it and they got world class players in all areas. Well, the only reach one final in any tournament and that's at home soil like half century ago.

Above the paper, WC 2006 belong to Ronaldinho's, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, but did they got? You cant predict something that only happen once in 4 years. So, any country that has lifted the WC in the past, it's natural that their fans think they could do it again.

24. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is it arrogant for me to call this the worst thread on this entire forum? Well tied for first with "is it arrogant for Brazil to think it can win the World Cup?"thread

Is it arrogant for me to call this guy the worst poster on the forum?

tatoRMN and cigar_city repped this.
  25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would say it's sensible.