Is Heaps Another Bust?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Nov 20, 2011.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point of time, what exactly is there to talk about?

2. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We can talk about how bad they play.

Seriously, what do the KADs want to discuss? The team sucked last year, and has yet to make a single on-field improvement. There haven't even been any rumors of moves. There isn't much to talk about as it relates to the game on the field.

3. risapres

risapres Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I attended the Brown University vs St Mary's NCAA round of 16 game yesterday. The game was scouted by the Houston Dynamo. Assistant Coach attended along with Geoff Cameron. Where was our new Coach? What needs to be done now is scout whatever talent is available in the NCAA tornament and [pray as there is nobody in the FO capable of scouting Internationals. I have have not paid for my tickets for what would be my 17th year as an STH and at this point nothing has changed

4. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Good point. I don't know what the magic formula is. Anything I can say about attendance in general would only be wild speculation (What? On Big Soccer?). A good team would be a good start for me personally, but yeah, it's probably not enough. It's a shame that it needs to be at a "starting point" at all, which I suppose is Mr. Out's (and others') point about how things have been run with this org.

>sigh<

Go, Heaps, go.

Kevin D.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see if the Revs send anyone to the UConn game this weekend. Number 3 and number 17 in the country going at it. UConn has a couple of guys that could be taken in the draft.

6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ Emily Litella ]

What's this about coaches needing busts to be good?

Oh that's right, that guy Arena has a great set!

Oh, a bust...

Never mind!

[ /Emily Litella]

7. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah Cascio will definitely get drafted, and I think Nickardo Blake could end up being one of the steals of the draft later on. Other than that, they have a very young team, so no one else will likely be drafted unless they enter the draft as a GA player.

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    showing your age on that one,,,,,,wonder how many posters actually remember Miss Litella

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan on going,,,,I'll keep and eye out for Coach Heaps

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cause/effect was moving into Gillete, and the seating configuration.
    It's a horrible venue for an MLS game. I've only attended a handful of matches there. Everything about it screams Bush League Soccer.

11. risapres

risapres Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uconn has a couple of guys who could play right now and Brown has one player who is at least a second round pick Sean Rosa. The game will be scouted by at least two Mls teams that I am aware of now and more are likely!

12. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re-Entry Draft Stage 1 is actually this Sunday, December 5th. Revs pick 2nd (both in this Draft and Stage 2).

Last year, only 1 player was selected in Stage 1 (Joseph Ngwenya by DC United) due to a Stage 1 draftee being guaranteed his 2011 salary, and Ngwenya's cap hit was only in the $70k range. Very interested to check out the availability list when it gets released to see if there might be some steals for the Revs.

Also, I believe the Revs need to make Joseph a qualifying(?) offer before Sunday to keep him off that list.

EDIT: Not sure if this post fits better in this thread of the Agenda thread. Feel free to move.

13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Stage 1 of the re-entry draft will be this Monday, December 5th.

14. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Blargh, I'm terrible at reading calendars.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    understandable,,,,,calenders are a pretty new concept....;)

16. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who don't know about Emily -- she is one of the all time great Gilda Radner characters. You can find lots of her stuff on youtube.

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I figured that Heaps would probably go, but now they're saying he'll be out of the country scouting.

I would guess they've already seen UConn a few times this year (at least Nicol has :p).
    Plenty for people who want to talk about it. Who we should waive, who should we look for in re-entry, who we should hire as assistant coaches, whose looking like a good fit in the ncaas, what we should do with our draft picks, etc., etc.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And many of those things are being discussed pretty much on most threads, except really for the assistant coach talk. So ... your point is?

19. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Not that Ives' opinion is the be-all, end-all, but I thought this was funny:

[Comment From David: ]
    What is your gut reaction to Jay Heaps hiring?

Ives:
    I think it's a terrible move, extremely risky and things just might spiral out of control there. I get that Jay Heaps is a great guy, and extremely intelligent, but a coach with zero experience joining a front office that hasn't exactly worked magic in recent years sounds like a recipe for disaster.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/11/sbi-live-qa-nov-30-edition.html#tp

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's so negative!

21. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't Ives just be patient and wait and see till game 12 of next season before making such rash judgements.

It seems terribly unfair, after observing 17 years of franchise history facts, to go public with such talk.

Apparently, he's not a true fan.

22. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Game 12? You are such a reactionary. You have to give them until at least August.

23. risapres

risapres Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pessimistic due to the lack of any international contacts or knowledge amongst those in the FO making decisions. The 2012 season will be determined by what player moves and acquisitions are completed by 3/15/12. only luck or massive quality acquisitions of the quality of the three Galaxy DPs will have any impact as the Keystone Cops run around playing President and General Manager.
    Next Question would a Roy Keane, David Beckham, or Landon Donovan type player put their careers and knees on the line to come to New England?

24. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We don't know, because there is always the future.

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Ives? About the Revs? Well, duh.