Is England a "World Power" in Soccer?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Jtsmith1, Mar 21, 2013.

?

Is England Powerhouse in International Soccer?

Poll closed Apr 11, 2013.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Maybe

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. racheldodd

racheldodd New Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    they have good team support also deserved good ranking

2. David Connolly

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    pow·er·house
    noun\ˈpau̇(-ə)r-ˌhau̇s\
    : a person, team, etc., that has a lot of energy, strength, and skill

I would argue that Brazil, Italy, Germany and Argentina are not the only footballing nations in the world with a lot of energy, strength, and skill.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I thought you did watch football in EPL? so you only watched results in wiki, or youtube?

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    here are some:

Van Persie with 4 different positions (RW,, LW, SS and CF)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Suarez at 3 different positions; LW, CAM, SS, CF
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you've posted two positions Van Persie has been used, on the Wing, or, as a Striker. Just as I posted. It's funny how you've had to go back at least 5 years to get those match reports of Van Persie playing as a wide man, which kinda shows how often Van Persie really does play in other positions other than a Striker.

How often does Rooney get moved around? all the time, this season, last season and ever since he's been playing at the top level.

It's clear to see that Rooney is obviously a more versatile player.

And a supporting/shadow striker is a role, not a position.

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...Nice try....but epic fail. They are all basically as striker of 'off striker'...sometimes a bit to the left ...sometimes a bit to the right...but all in advanced positions.

Kev THFC repped this.
  8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I am sure you NEVER watched Van Persie at Arsenal and Netehrland games, nor much of Suarez for Liverpool and Uruguay so STOP NONE SENSE

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I never said Van Persie or Suarez are more versatile than Rooney, but they TRUELY are versatile.

Quickly and BLINDLY claim Rooney is more versatile (base on WHAT?) is just NON FACT

10. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Here is one example of you quoting my posting after claiming Rooney is more versatile than Van Persie. ^^^

But yeah...I'm ''ridiculous'' for claiming that.

You argued against people who posted that Rooney was more versatile than Suarez and Van Persie.

And no-one apart from you has claimed that to be a fact, you even posted that I was ''speculating'' whilst you was posting ''FACTS'' lol. But you obviously have a memory problem...

You've tried to insult people when people have argued against you, and you annoyingly type in caps (which is considered rude) to try and get your point across.

You even posted...Van Persie is more versatile than Rooney because Van Persie has played in more positions, but what you still can't grasp is Rooney has played every role and position that Van Persie has, but more. So even if we was to base our argument based on your logic, you're still wrong.

england66 repped this.
  11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    FACT said both Van Persie and Suarez played more different positions then Rooney ever played PERIOD

all you guys cam up is SPECULATION - which may be true? maybe not but nothing to back that speculation

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ..no they haven't....no caps required....Rooney is way more 'versatile' than either of them.

13. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You haven't proved what your trying to claim, you keep claiming it's a fact to suit your argument, but you haven't actually proved anything to be a fact at all...we're both stating an opinion, that's a fact. Jeez, learn the difference between a fact and having an opinion.

Haven't you ever known about the huge bust up Sir Alex Ferguson had with Rooney because Sir Alex had played Rooney in different positions ? doing that when Van Persie was signed... so if Van Persie is more versatile as you claim, then why wasn't Van Persie the one to be moved back into deeper roles? I'll tell you why, because Rooney plays in deeper roles to a much higher standard.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/09/wayne-rooney-reasons-leave-manchester-united

Ferguson has played Rooney in just about every midfield position, As a forward, on both Wings and in Central Midfield, and Rooney gets moved around the pitch all the time. Van Persie has never played deep roles like Rooney, NEVER. Van Persie has played probably about 99% of his games as a frontman.

You post that Van Persie plays on the Wings, how often has he done that? hardly at all.

So you haven't posted any facts at all, you're posting utter rubbish and making yourself look stupid.

14. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Versatile doesnt mean you are a better player, it means you arent good enough to beat the guy at your main position so you have to move around. The main reason Fergurson moved Rooney to midfield last season was because Rooney wasnt as good as Van Persie as a forward. Van Persie arrival made Rooney move positions.

[]__[]

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    .....Bullshot....

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That's so called ENGLISH media ..,..

Rooney was used as CAM only few games a year, especially this year (ONLY) ... and his career was 10years already OK?

Van Persie was ALWAYS a Wide man back in Arsenal team, at leats for 3,4 years ...

That's why I said= it's so FUNNY that if someone STARTED watching football THIS YEAR they will claim:
    - Rooney is a CAM (for 8-10games)
    - Lahm is a DM (for 16games)

17. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But we're not arguing who's the better player, are we? James is trying to make a claim that Van Persie is more Versatile, which is rubbish.

Not really sure if your post is aimed at me or not.

Van Persie was a recognized Striker for Arsenal... in 2004/05 and 2005/06 was when Wenger was blending Van Persie into the side, he played his games as a left winger but was often rotated between different positions (Wenger had many strikers at the club at that time), then Wenger had soon found his Van Persie's natural position, as a Striker.

You could say the same thing with Henry, he started off on the left Wing, but to call him a Left Winger is stupid when probably about 85% of his games throughout his career have been played as a forward, that happens with many young players, or even sometimes when players need to be utilized...Wayne Rooney is apperently a very good goal keeper too, now how about that for being versatile?

I've watched Premiership football from the age of about 8, I'm 33 now...so quit with the you've only just started watching football. I've seen Van Persie play live 7 times, both at White Hart Lane and The Emirates.

But lets not move away from what we're debating, we're debating who's the most versatile, not whether Van Persie is a Left Winger or a Striker...Rooney can be played almost all over the pitch, same can't be said of Van Persie.

18. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Totally agree... Although i think rooney is a decent player he is nowhere near being world class.. And i am fed up with the media treating him like hes pele... When he has a great game for england or performs in a big game for united i will happily eat my words.. People always say he " works hard".. But so do alot of players that are not world class. His job is to create and score...

Pipiolo repped this.
  19. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney gets played in deeper roles if Hernadez is playing, or Welbeck...that doesn't make either of those 2 strikers better than Rooney though, does it? so puertorricane's post isn't really accurate at all tbh. The argument isn't really about who plays better as a Striker, we're debating who is the most Versatile.

Rooney gets dropped deeper because he's the most versatile out of the lot of them, it's as simple as that. Could you imagine Van Persie playing CM? or even as a wing back...no manager in the right mind would even think of doing that, as where as with Rooney, he wouldn't look out of place...

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    (firs bold) Not exactly ... I just meant in general, someone quickly claim Rooney as a more "versatile" then Van Persie or Luis Suarez - like a "fact" - is actually non fact. that's all.

This is nothing to do with who is better player, nor who is better in different positions.
    I just got in to sat Luis suarez or Van Persie were indeed used in many different positions before (especially Suarez) then Rooney. That's ALL

Now 2nd bold, until 2009-10, Van Persie became the "striker" for Arsenal to be EXACT,
    also written in his description at Arseanal WEBSITE.

“I was hoping to play as a second striker... I never thought I would end up as a main striker,” Van Persie told Arsenal Player. "We only tried it [at Arsenal] when Adebayor went to Manchester City [in 2009].
    "The boss didn't buy anyone else because he was convinced I could do it, but I wasn't even convinced I could do it. I had not really played there that much, and I hadn't thought about it much before.

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    and look at how Wenger described Van Persie :

“Van Persie is Dennis Bergkamp – with goals,” enthused Arsene Wenger before the game at Tottenham. Of course Bergkamp was from a different era and ultimately of a different style, one of the best ever in his position but with his frame one may feel the Dutchman could have fulfilled that role.

The fact that Robin Van Persie can play in this higher role signals an evolution in the requirement of strikers. “Robin’s always had the vision and the talent, but what really stands out for me is how he’s developed into a team player,” continued Wenger. “It’s a remarkable transformation.

No other formation is as efficient in covering space,” Wenger says but even he has had to utilise Van Persie as the fifth midfielder by detailing him to track back. “If I have a triangle in midfield, Makelele behind and two others just in front, I will always have an advantage against a pure 4-4-2 where the central midfielders are side by side. There is nothing a pure 4-4-2 can do to stop things. That’s why I think the popularity of 4-4-2 will come to an end in England. It has to. It does not work against teams like us.”

22. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whoosh...this is like talking to a child, goes in one ear, then straight out from the other.

23. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Link me to that quote on the official website, considering Van Persie used to quite regular partner Henry up front I find that very hard to believe. Henry left Arsenal in 2007, so that quote obviously isn't right or true, you've probably just wrote that yourself lol

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    the get lost ... since you act like never watch EPL games
    IF you did you should have SEEN yourself , no need for me to "write that up"
    Now it's way off the topic ...

25. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So called world class players can adapt to playing deep or up front and im tired of people making excuses for rooney ( not you kev ! ).. Listen- id love it if he finally has a world class game for england and shows his supposed genius at the world cup. But it will be the same old BS .. He was carrying an injury- he wasnt fit- he was played out of position etc etc.. If hes so good then why doesnt he show it.. Yes- he scores the odd great goal but against good teams he looks out of his depth.. Someone said he was just as technically gifted as silva suarez hazard etc !! Get real.. Hes a good player but not that good.. Injured or not he was dire against bayern .. And guess what..they blamed his misses on his injury !! ..