Is dropping Gonzalez a possibility?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not depressed about things on the backline - the whole team is a sketchy mismatch. Typical this time of the cycle. We expected things to get whipped into shape by now and then head south with a kick-ass mentality.

Plenty of time yet for the guys to be done with their club bizness, get squared away with Klinsi about what they're expected to do and then get in butt-kick mode. I think it'll happen. These guys know what they have to do - no one wants to be embarrassed like the French in the last WC. We're better than that.

Too many guys on this board from the East Coast with weather-related SADD. Lighten up - it'll be summer soon. Rio beaches, babes in bikinis....yadda yadda. No worries - you'll make it.

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Jeff Agoos was a horror show in 2002. We still made it to the Quarterfinals. Just saying......

3. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather is fine here in Jersey.
    Problem is too many Bro'ski's here on the Left-Coast.
    I know how "killer" that sense of urgency is in SoCal.

4. smokey

smokey Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Cali
    Gonzo had 2 awful turn overs passing out of the back with little or no pressure against Chivas usa today. Also committed a sliding tackle in the box that took a player out. Should have been called. Landen missed 3 1 on 1 with the keeper opportunities. On current form, these guys can not help in Brazil at all.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm...what? That's what you got out of the total domination of Chivas?

Omar's had his 1 brain fart/game - wrote about it in the MLS thread in N&A. It was when he held onto the ball too long in the right corner. His tackle was to come out of that, and it worked (shouldn't have put himself in this position in the first place, but he recovered). It is right to be continually concerned about his focus. But that was pretty much all he had to do today.

As for Landon, please read the recap and the chalkboard - he had two assists:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/06/chivas-usa-0-la-galaxy-3-mls-match-recap

Dan Kennedy closed down the 1 v 1's well.

6. smokey

smokey Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Cali
    Playing chivas is like playing traffic cones so I admit I was muchh more focused on mistakes. On all 3.chances Donavan had the time and space he certainly will not have against better competition. Omar had 2.giveaways under no oressure. Thanks for your advice on reading other analysis. Having played div 1 soccer myself, I will stick with my own assessment. Feel free to disagree. That's what a message board is for.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine...but not helping in Brazil at all? One of the people you mentioned had 2 assists.

8. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    I think that he's trying to break the assist record first, and then go after the all time goal scoring record. :)

9. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    ??????????

JAB started for Hertha today and played very well....Kobiashvili was the one who was put on the bench and he, Kobiashvili, was the main culprit in Schalke's 2 goals versus Hertha. JAB didn't play in that match (vs. Schalke; the match before the Hoff. one) because Hertha rested numerous starters (including JAB) since it was their 3rd match in a week with Gladbach and Bayern coming before. If anything JAB is heating up right now.

10. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We don't have a consistent center back is the point. And yes, our odds of going beyond three is limited if our back line doesn't play better than it has been playing.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I like our chances WAY better with Cameron, Goodson or Parkhurst back there.

12. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cameron has been our most consistent CB, imo. Though, it does annoy me that on more than one occasion he hasn't hustled back into a play a possibly saved a goal. Cameron has had most of his lapses at CB imo. But he has done well against not allowing simple through balls and long balls like Besler has allowed. So, Cameron and Goodson while not sexy might be our best combo. I personally like Parkhurst at LB and Beltran at RB at this point. But I acknowledge the possibility of Fabian/Cameron at either wing to get them into the line-up.

13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar indeed had some iffy moments in yesterday's match. I think it's possible his confidence has taken a beating after Mexico; even during that game he seemed to have trouble bouncing back mentally after the first goal. Probably wouldn't kill him to sit for awhile but I'm not convinced there's a clear better option. The would-be replacements simply have not had the opportunity to screw up as often.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    JAB got subbed though, around the 60', when Hertha took on a more attacking formation. It was just a tactical sub, though. JAB was ok.

15. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes, this latest match that is correct...he was subbed out for them to change to an attacking formation. Similar to what Luhukay did vs. Hamburg. 60 minutes is significant time, unfortunately Hertha couldn't rebound with a victory.

16. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I'm holding out for Eddie Pope and Tony Sanneh.

17. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not take a live chicken, but HeyDude must perform the services.

18. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'd probably consider dropping Besler before Gonzo (or Cameron at CB).

Besler may defensively give you this:

[​IMG]

He won't give you this either:

[​IMG]

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yea because Omar did a great job on that first play too.

20. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez sucks.

21. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You foolishly assume that because Gonzo made the frame that he screwed up on the play. Go back and watch the highlight and you'll see Besler get beat straight-up. And then his (lack of) recovery was far from impressive.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Ream went the full 90 in a 1-0 win as a CM. CDM I would assume.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Ream will most likely be called into the 30 but likely no chance at making that squad. Seems a little too late. If only JK had been paying attention the past few months.

24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I refer back to my earlier comment that all too often for USMNT fans, the answer is assumed to be the guy not playing.

Not one guy listed here is without a shocking performance in defence for the USA.

If Omar keeps screwing up, then those guys are in contention but I think it's pushing it to annoint them as readymade answers.

I also believe that despite it not being a great leap from what has been achieved previously in tournament terms, you have to consider it a good performance if the US progresses, simply because of that nightmare of a group.

As long as they put up a fight and don't get flattened in any of the three games, I think they'll leave with credit. The one solid test in terms of result though, is against Ghana. They have the resources to beat them and need to get it done this time.

25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, Ream has been in camps...knows what Klinsi wants and is in form. He can play LB. I would take him over Goodson and Onyewu.

I think Evans is out of contention.