Is dropping Gonzalez a possibility?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Apr 3, 2014.

1. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #126 KC96, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    If Jones goes forward too much for your tastes when he is the supposed "Dmid" (where Bradley is supposed to be the attacking mid), or even as a "pulley" (one goes up one stays back, Bradley/Jones figures it out on the fly) mid with Bradley, wait until you see Jones the "CB" going forward.... especially with JK's belief in building up from the back.

You won't be able to finish seeing 3 US games at the WC because you'll have died from a heart attack caused by multiple crazy Jones forays forward, leaving us exposed in the back :)

Oh, plus crazy yellow card tackles in/near the box. Although that wouldn't be a strange thing for Besler to deal with in a CB partner - he is paired with Collin on his club team, after all....

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Could Jones/Edu do it in a pinch if we were absolutely desperate? Sure. However, there is so much about that position they can't possibly have in their muscle memory.

Edu did a bang up job for a few games in the Olympics that one time, but you could see that his positioning in particular was all over the map. A very VERY scary roll of the dice if you ask me.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way does Jones play CB. We can't even keep him on a leash at CDM. I'd rather put Beckerman back there...

Edu, on the other hand, should have always been a CB. That's why I'm glad Okugo went ahead and made the switch... Some people are meant to be center backs and others aren't. For example, I never thought Kitchen should have been a CB. And to go ahead and call this now, I think O Neill and Ream should be a CDM too.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Goochie was excellent in that match against league leading Leicester before the rib injury.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And don't forget...

5) Ugly mug: uncanny resemblance to 1980s wrestler and member of the Fabulous Freebirds, Terry Gordy, which enabled him to scare the wits out of opposing forwards.

[​IMG]

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    For the USMNT, for all his great form at RB with Stoke, Cameron has only shined as a CM. As a defender, he's been ok only, IMO.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, Cameron is good at the CB position but not that good, he needs the reps to be better.

I don't think OG is going to be dropped, but his starting role is in jeopardy.

8. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Cameron was pretty damn good against Kono (very very good winger) and Ukraine and he killed it versus Austria (MOTM type performance).

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I disagree. I think he did the basic, cover his flank decently, but didn't help the movement forward. Nor helped the CBs when he could.

I prefer him as a CM with the NT, so far. However, if no other options appear (Chandler?), I'd slot him in RB. Only guy we have for it, right now, IMO.

10. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree with your second part...I'm totally with you there. However with regards to the first it would be great if he could go forward but if he can provide that sort of defensive stability vs. Portugal and CR7 that'd be great. But yeah I wish for Chandler to come back as well.

11. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I argued for testing Jones as a CB 2 years ago. It's too late now, though. During an in-game emergency if all the subs have been used but a CB goes down, then sure, try Jones at CB, But not now as a planned thing. That ship sailed a long time ago.

To me, 3 of the 4 back line spots are set: Cameron at RB, Besler at LCB, and Fabian Johnson at LB. All 3 playing the same positions they play most of the time professionally.

One position remains in doubt, RCB. In May you let Gonzo, Goodson, and Parkhurst battle for it, within the context of the other 3 positions being known and stable. Those are the ONLY 3 CB options, and all 3 have played defense for the US recently and all 3 are playing CB for their clubs right now. Two months before the Cup you cannot open auditions and bring in a half-dozen CBs. A back line NEEDS stability, cohesion, and the least amount of change and uncertainty possible. Build the back line around those 3 best-choice known starters and decide on the 4th starter ASAP in May and allow the quartet to build some cohesion.

12. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respect Jurgen, but I think he made a big mistake writing off Bocanegra and Jonathan Spector. I have no delusions about what they bring to the table, but I view them as better options than what we currently have on the table.

As others have noted, Gooch has looked better this season. He might just be able to exploit Gonzalez's weaknesses and work his way back into the starting CB rotation.

13. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Omar Gonzalez is making a push to trademark and market the "wait, I thought YOU had him" reaction.

14. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, that is f'ing hilarious.

15. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom line is that Eleven Bravo called it right with the opening post. We need Bocanegra at CB.

16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #141 Cannons, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Go somewhere where he would be challenged? He has all he can handle right here. He tries to move to a Euro league and he'll be riding the pine and that will not help him to improve.

Its kind of funny reading all the BS experts talking about trying Edu back there and other silly combinations. One of the reasons Parkhurst is going to Brazil is that he can play all the back line positions, including CB. For those that forget, before going overseas, he was an award winning MLS CB including MLS rookie of the year, MLS best 11 and MLS defender of the year another year and was a CB in those days. He is currently playing CB for the Crew and their defense is doing quite well. Contrast that with Goodson that gave up a game winner last week when Lee Nguyen schooled him in stoppage time. Lee is a small quick forward that Omar, and apparently Goodson as well, have trouble with.

There is no need to try and force Edu into that position. We already have a solid player in the pool that knows how to play center. IDK why JK insists in playing people out of position all the time? I seriously hope he trys Parky in the center on one or more of these upcoming games. We cannot win with Omar bleeding goals every game

His best bet is to stay right here but try and fix his many flaws. At least here, he will play 90 minutes. Can't sat that about Europe

17. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarence Goodson is not the answer.

18. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the U.S/Belgium match, the Omar Gonzalez superfans out there may not wanna rewatch this.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, Beasley too. He got worked that game. OG was at fault for the first two goals, (failing to clear Howard save, and also a horrible touch that got stolen inside own box) but the third was a no-clearance by Dempsey off of a clearing header, and that second ball OG has to be covering the huge guys near the penalty spot, so it's not really his fault he gets beat back post by what looks to be JJ's guy (Fellaini). The fourth goal was Beasley pretending to be a CB.

20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Depends entirely upon the question.

deuteronomy repped this.
  21. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As a Galaxy fan, I am well aware of Gonzo's ability to play like an MVP one game and play like a b-team guy another game. You have to take the good with the bad with him. If we had much better options, I'd leave him. But we don't have any A level talent at CB.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I look at Gonzo playing, and I worry.

I look at the alternatives play, and I despair.

PS: Hertha seems to have moved Kobiashvili back to defence, so JAB may be bench riding for a while.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that sounds like a recipe for 3 and out at a WC. Centerbacks need to be consistent. I would not take him.

24. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

25. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh, CBs are the only players that must be consistent?