Is Bryan Ruiz the best player in the Concacaf region?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by MoRado, Mar 29, 2010.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I remember that US MNT mitfielder Michael Bradley also scored lots of goals for el Heerenveen

It it without a doubt a lot easier to score a lot of goals in Holland than in Italy or Spain

Nevertheless, Suarez and Ruiz are doing superb jobs

2. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If a player playing in the Eredivisie can be considered to be the best player in Concacaf...And I agree he can. Then a player in the Mexican League can also be considered because in my opinion(and people may agree or not) both leagues are very even and I consider the FMF to be a bit better

The FMF is the 9th best league in the world for me and the Eredivisie is 10th

Bryan Ruiz is top a 4 player for me. very well could be argued to be the best player in our region

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Twente won today, buy Ruiz didnt score, 5pts are separating them from the championship :cool:

4. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Mexico's league is a very good one however its not the 9th best in the world. Of course if you think its better then the Eredivisie it will be hard to change your mind. However I can think of 9 better leagues then Mexico's in Europe and South America. I mean England alone has 2 leagues that are stronger with the EPL and the Championship unless you count them as one. And with Asian leagues like Japans climbing Mexico's league may soon be on par with many other newer leagues.

5. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Championship is not stronger then the MFL, and Japan is definitely not closing the gap on them.

6. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    The Championship league has very strong teams. Again its not that I am being dismissive of the MFL its a very strong league and definitely better then some European leagues, but it doesn't have teams that are better then the Championship league. If you look at the top of the table of the championship and the bottom of the EPL you could argue they are easily interchangeable in terms of talent. Teams like Blackpool, Reading and Middlesbrough have the structure and talent to compete with Sunderland and Wigan. Thats not to mention Newcastle. We see many Championship teams go up and have strong performances against everyone but the big four consistently. There are a lot of talented teams in the championship I wonder why you rate the MFL so high? I mean if they were killing the Liberatadores on a consistent basis then I would agree with you but they don't. When Mexican teams play non CONCACAF squads in meaningful games they don't look super dominant to say they are the 9th best league in the world. I wonder which leagues you guys would rate above the MFL.

7. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Actually they do. They have winning records against all the countries except Brazilian squads, and yes, Mexican squads have beaten the Argentines more often then not. They just havent won the big one yet (Lib), but have been in a Libertadores and Sudamericana final numerous times before, not to mention the number of semi appearances. I believe they are 1 for 3 in South American Cup finals.

You're basing a lot of this on this years libertadores series, which Mexican teams have layed an egg in. However, the FMF still has 2 teams that will be playing in the 2nd round.

8. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    They aren't always dominating the libertadores like you say in order to dominate a tournament that means you have to win it consistently. That is like saying the Netherlands and Spain dominate the world cup because they do good in the group phase and on occasion get into semis and finals. Winning is what this sport is all about thats how you prove you are better. When you get 3 births to Argentina's 5 you are going to get teams like Chivas who are usually among the best teams in Mexico beating an Argentinian team that isn't as dominant that year. I wouldn't rate Mexico's league above Argentina because Chivas beat Lanus who clearly had a terrible tournament. My only issue has been that it feels that because the MFL is your guys favorite league it feels like you inflate its dominance beyond were it is.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^Good post.

But mexican teams do well in the libertadores, and add another competitve country to the mix, as far as teams go.

10. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Chivas isn't just beating Lanus, but there is no convincing you, and I don't really care all that much to argue this, seeing as how this is Ruiz's thread.

The FMF isn't as bad as you might think. It doesn't get the respect it deserves, mainly because we're in North America and automatically get associated with teams like the Galaxy, Wizards, and D.C. United.

11. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Chivas Lanus was just an example to prove my point that because the best Mexican teams have a good record against the more average Argentinian teams doesn't show that the Mexican league is better then the Argentinian league and doesn't really prove that they dominate the liberatadores. That record you stated against all the other countries beside the Brazilian teams is a bit inflated due to the fact that we are talking about the best Mexican teams like chivas versus more mid level teams like Lanus that finished last in its group after a bad tournament. As far as the FMF being bad I never said it was bad I think its a very strong league I just posted that it wasn't the 9th best league in the world as others have stated on here that is why I brought up the libertadores example.

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Wheres the list of the best leagues with Mexico as 9th?

13. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

O please, you're picking and choosing. The best Mexican teams don't go to Libertadores. The champ and the sub champ are forced to play in the ConcaChampions (bet you didn't know that, did you?)and can't go to Libertadores (sometimes they can go in through the back door and play in InterLiga). Your argument can also be used against you when talking about really good Argie teams beating the mediocre/bad Mexican teams.

14. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Let me give it a shot.

1. La Liga
    2. EPL
    3. Serie A
    4. Bundesliga
    5. Ligue 1.
    6. Dutch
    7. Brazilian
    8. Argie
    9. MLS

10. Japan
    11. Korea
    12. The Championship
    13. Saudi Arabia

14. Mexico's wack ass FMF

There, now everyone is happy.

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I was being serious dude! Stop getting so emotional! Where is the portugeese league? And we all know MLS is below the mexican first division, but I was wondering where is this list which has them as number 9. Im not saying they arent, I was just wondering who was ahead/below them in this list.

16. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

lol, this is why I hate the Internet sometimes, like Text messages, you can never tell someone is laughing or being sarcastic.

My previous post was sarcastic. Forgot the Portuguese league, Romanian league, among others.

There really is no list Bolivian, that's what I was getting at.

17. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Of course I know how the Mexican teams allocate their spots for the Conca champions and libertadores its not exactly a secret. However just because Chivas isn't winning the championship every year doesn't mean they aren't consistently among the best teams in Mexico. When I talk about the best Mexican teams I am talking about consistently strong teams not teams that had one strong season and then loan away players that made them successful as happens with the Mexican league. If you remove chivas, americas and cruz azul's performances in the libertadores the mexican teams records aren't that impressive. You are basically saying Chivas is better then many Argentinian teams not really the league. Having a strong team like chivas doesn't make your league better then the rest it just means you have a strong team. I don't rate Argentina above Mexico's league just because they have Estudiantes its a league comparison. The strong record you noted that Mexican teams have is because teams like Chivas do well in the group phase not because Mexican teams dominate the tournament.

18. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Don't put words in my mouth, and you're beyond dense, consistently saying the same exact thing. The FMF isn't based off of one team, there is a lot of parity, and the FMF doesn't revolve around Chivas. lol

Ok, now i'm really done.

19. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Look we can drop it if you want I just want to clear up my points. I never said FMF revolved around Chivas. It was just in example I used to your original response where you said:

Actually they do. They have winning records against all the countries except Brazilian squads, and yes, Mexican squads have beaten the Argentines more often then not.

I was just pointing out that record was as a bit inflated not that the FMF is somehow bad or anything else. Sorry if i repeated myself it just felt that from your replies I was misunderstood.

20. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    can you guys stay on topic please?

21. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have seen a list that lists the FMF as the 10th best. I will go find it and post it. I found it. Mexico is ranked 8th according to IFFHS.

http://www.epltalk.com/english-premier-league-ranked-number-one-by-the-iffhs/4039

22. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Intersting. I'd have to agree with those rankings.

23. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    sorry mates, offtopic posts will be deleted, open a new thread for it if you wish
    thanks

24. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Twente lost 1-0 today, I watched the game, Ruiz was double/triple teamed all the game

25. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    lol can you blame them?

I still remember the look on Tim Howard's face after Ruiz scored those two back to back goals against the US in DC.

Dude is quality.