Ireland v Latvia/Poland (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Nov 13, 2013.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    First friendlies for the new management team are Friday (v Latvia in Dublin) and Tuesday (v Poland in Poznan)!

Discuss here.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I'm interested to see how the team lines up.

Still don't understand why Stephen Ireland wasn't called in. Scored a brilliant goal at the weekend.

3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Because of pink underwear, a few too many dead grannies and all the attendant lunacy that goes with the same..

Father Ted repped this.
  4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He can have all the pink underwear, dead grannies, and lunacy that he wants if he improves our absolutely dismal midfield play.

5. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ireland XI: Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, Wilson, Ward, McGeady, Whelan, McCarthy, McClean, Hoolahan, Keane.

4-4-1-1

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I don't disagree, but we would have to ask ourselves, at what cost? If he comes in and plays as he can, then great. But if he comes in and is a disruptive influence, then given the small squad, the lack of world class players and all the other frailties, then he is too expensive an option.

The lad is some seriously damaged goods. If O'Neill can find a way to incorporate his lunacies that would be fine. But I can't help thinking that Stephen Ireland always wants to be pampered.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Maybe. It's possible he's matured.

Only way to find out is to actually call him in.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yeah, perhaps, maybe. I do believe the ball's in his court to prove that he's not Porky Pig's best mate.

Once upon a time he might have been a really good midfielder. But his antics have allowed the times to pass him by. Ireland got to a Euros without him, Villa off loaded him due to his Bugs Bunnyness, club and country have moved on and thrived without him. Don't forget this was a player with a shot at a starting position or bench in Mancini's City.

Yeah, so maybe give him a shot in a friendly, but the notion that O'Neill, Keane or the FAI should go begging his Irelandness to pretty please think nicely about returning to the Irish fold? He ain't that good or worth the trouble.

Let him prove himself at club and Looney Tune level first. Then maybe.

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ireland has moved on from Ireland, excuse the pun. That's in the past, he's done. Plus he hasn't been that good in about 4 years now. If he is lights it up at Stoke for the rest of the season, maybe call him in for some summer internationals.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    All I'm saying is if Stephen Ireland plays well at Stoke like he has been and makes himself available for the NT, he should get called in like any other player.

No special anything.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Agreed.

12. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I'm glad that Ireland has come back to play in Poland
    there are a lot of us who remember the great Irish fans from Euro2012

Good Luck!

Deand21594 repped this.
  13. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Starting XI:

Forde, Kelly, St. Ledger, Wilson, Ward, Walters, Green, McCarthy, McGeady, Long, Stokes.

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Today was a good reality check.

Just because O'Neill and Keane are here doesn't mean the players have switched bodies with the likes of Zlatan and Cristiano.

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Equally, I think it's fair to say that had this been a competitive international, the team(s) would have been very different. Friendlies don't have much going for them - look at the interest/crowds at Eng/Ger last night - except that they allow management to have a look at fringe players and alternate formations. And in the case of The last two games, a get-to-know-ya quotient between a new management eam and the squad.

A home win and an away draw with the dross of the unqualified UEFA nations of about the same standard as Ireland, while allowing O'Neill and the players to run the rule over each other? Not too bad.

Better than Latvia, about equal to Poland with work to be done. Mission almost accomplished, one might say.

USvsIRELAND repped this.