Iran to Sponsor Conference on the Holocaust

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 15, 2006.

1. yzf_bloodhound

Aug 2, 2004

only if you're in the middle. Read the title fu<khead.

2. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    it might help if you read the entire thread. The "conference" on the holocaust will assert that israel got its land because of guilt over the holocaust, which the iranian president believes is a myth.

I cited reasons for Israel separate from the holocaust.

hence the back and forth from sardus_pater.

3. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Iranians dont care about the holocaust, why not have a conference on opium addiction in Iran, or reconstruction of Bam instead on this crap which we the Iranian people dont care about. The government in Iran is only doing this to furthur isolate Iran and expand the power of the mullahs. I dont think many people understand the fact that one the mullahs make one atomic bomb which will happen, they will be in power for ever, even the United States cant watch Iran have a revolution while the mullahs have nukes.

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Because focusing on these things distracts the citizens from their governments own short comings.

5. AsanoAram

AsanoAram Member

Apr 14, 2005
    People don't give 2 shits about the conference either. From my friends and family in Iran, they tell me, everyone just takes what AhmadiNejad (AN as they call him in Iran, meaning ********) as a joke. He is just a crazy man with the brain of a child saying what ever the hell he wants. Most of the government ministries don't take his words seriously, and he is not the type of government man to keep his promises.

I think the rest of the world needs to realize this as well, that AN poses no danger, and will do nothing, and they should look at him as the clown that he is, like the rest of Iran does.

6. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    So who's the Dick Cheney of Iran, and what does it say that whoever's pulling AN's strings wants to inflame anti-Semitism in Iran?

7. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    according to Thomas Freidman, in the age of globalization all physical barriers are removed for individuals to connect with one another.;)

Those scholars don't have to be there physically to attend the sessions. They may or may not prefer to be there physically but using teleconferencing, they can tap in and share their moments of glory.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Thanks. Interesting viewpoint.

9. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    That's some governmental system! Elect a govt, ignore what they say if you don't like it. The Rule of Law at work!

10. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    Nice dance step! Now can you stop avoiding the question.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There are a lot of Iranians who feel the way you do. And this feeling has solidified among many Iranians in the years since the revolution.

However, to the extent Iran aspires to be a major ideological and political force in the region, it has to clinge to a framework that competes with the dominant one advanced by the US. Basically, the choice for Iran is to either accept a role subservient to the larger American framed calculus, or offer its own.

If it chooses the former, it basically has to follow the foreign policy Iran followed under the Shah and hope the "West" would be willing to be as accomodating as it was during that time, when partly for historical reasons and partly because of the "Cold War", the US did treat Iran as a special ally.

On the other hand, if Iran wants to be a leader in the region, it has to look for the grievances that resonate in its region and try to capitalize on them. There is no other unanswered grievance that resonates as much as the ones Iran has chosen, namely standing up to American "hegemony" and to the so-called "Zionist entity".

The choice is ultimately for the Iranian public to make, as a whole, and while there are many Iranians who aren't all that interested in the Arab-Israeli issues and many who are more distrustful of Arabs than Israelis, the fact is that there is a large opposing constituency in Iran as well.

12. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    As valid as that statement is, I suspect, for example, that the victorious powers in WWI would deal with Germany a bit differently in the "post war reorganization" if they could do it all over again.

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    First, Iran is not in a revolutionary situation at all. The regime enjoys strong support among a committed core, and the tacit support of what would constitute still a majority of Iranians. The committed, strong supporters of the regime, number around 10 million, many from families of martyrs and the kind of folks who (to demonstrate their fidelity to the regime) willingly walk barefoot hundreds of miles in the desert. The opponents of the regime are ones who gripe a lot but most aren't the type to take any real risks.

Second, a revolution would in any case be a terrible event for Iran. Revolutions are generally bad. Iran is quite close from being on the right road towards true democratization and the rule of law. That road does not require the "overthrow" of the system. Indeed, with certain minor (albeit important) reforms, Iran can have a system that will give you a democratic country regardless of the labels. Of course, in a democracy, you won't always what you want either.

Incidentally, I am agnostic and not religious. And yet I know that even "secularization" of Iranian society is advanced in the model I am discussing as opposed to the forced alternatives some have in mind.

Third, Iran having nuclear weapons enhances the prospects of necessary reforms. Once secure from foreign threats, the dynamics in Iranian politics and society will focus more on bread and butter issues. The sentiments will no longer be as inflamed by the constant inflamatory attacks on Iran and the reactions it creates.

Besides, as I recall, the Soviet Union had a lot of nuclear weapons and yet it experienced revolutionary changes. With the US encouraging the process.

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You have to realize that Iran is truly a 50/50 society, even if neither side is willing to accept the other and recognize that they exist.

What you said is absolutely correct with regard to those who either did not vote or voted against Ahmadinejad. This fifty pecent of Iran's population (a little less actually), predominate in certain classes especially (middle and upper middle class), look at Ahmadinejad as a joke. Even today, SMS messages with jokes about Ahmadinejad (aka "AN") abound and many of these folks take every opportunity to poke fun at him. The other fifty percent, however, view Ahmadinejad as one of their own and are supportive of him. Among them, in places such as south Tehran, even "Ahmadinejad jackets" have become popular, trying to emulate their president.

Iranians from all the sides in the various divides in Iranian politics should learn to acknowledge each other, their differences, and try to find common ground. Ultimately, Iran remains a country that for various reasons cannot trust anyone in its region: not the Americans, not the Russians, not the Arabs. Basically no one. Except ourselves, provided we learn to be less dismissive of those who we might not agree with.

15. AsanoAram

AsanoAram Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Those jackets weren't necessarily popular, but they have always been relatively cheap, that's why many have one. I only think a few are wearing them for the sake of emulation.

16. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I actually did you a favour but you ungrateful and lazy didn't notice, I posted the link of probably the best site on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (history et alia).

Their brief history is fantastic (brief but unbiased and complete), from that starting point you can then go deep into the details.

http://www.mideastweb.org/briefhistory.htm

You should read it if you're interested in understanding the issues but something tells me you're a warrior in the barricades wanting your side to win because that's what you think it's ultimately Good.

I'll post the introductory note

And since you're being a bit annoying claiming what you should already know it's not true.

http://www.mideastweb.org/briefhistory.htm

This answers the propaganda myth concerning Jews buying the land.

This answers your wrong assumption that arabs were not the majority in the land to be partitioned.
    Actually arabs were 2 times more than the jews (1,2 m vs 600k) but they were given approx. half of the land.

http://www.mideastweb.org/181.htm

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You mean apart from the ones that were blowing us up, presumably... and, let's be honest, we were actually fighting the fvcking Nazis at the time who, let's be honest, were, (shall we say), a bit mean to the Jews. It would have been nice if ALL the Jews supported us... and not just for the duration. It would have been nice if we'd have been a little lee-way afterwards as well. Maybe that's too much to expect.

Look, I'm on record on here as stating that the proportions were different in favour of each side. I'm simply saying that to try and portray the issue, as this gold dude is trying, as all one way or all another is BS.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ok then, Denmark. I should be able to go and grab a bit of Denmark as I'm Anglo-Saxon then, should I? I mean, the Angles and Saxons have only been here for about 1200 years. For you fellas that's almost current affairs, isn't it.

19. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a very dangerous stance to take. I can assure you the world will not allow Iran to become a nuclear power, i pray it never comes to that but if Iran thinks it can strong arm change by having nuclear weapons they will learn a terrible lesson.

At least a US point of view, our current adminsitation will never allow it. The prospect of having Iran building nuclear weapons in the volitle middle east would be viewed as a major security threat. Not so much directly to the US mainland since Iran would still need to develop intercontinetal balistic capabilities, but indirectly to its interests in the region as well as the prospect of Iran selling that weapons grade material to would be terrorists.

I doubt you would see an Iraq like invationary force, most likely you would have an Irseal-Iran scenario where we precision bomb all the facilities. The world will cry foul in public but behind closed doors they will say nice job.

20. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Spare me this crap, if you knew history you would know that it was Arab leaders who told Palestinians to go, it was Arab leaders who would not accept their brethern, (to this day) it was Arab leaders who refused to sign any peace treaty with Israel, it was Arab leaders who were too greedy about land, it was Arabs who sold the land to the Jews.
    We have argued about this over and over, you have your view, we have ours. Does it matter now? NO, Israel is there to stay, unlike many of your buddies here who share your view, care to admit. Palestine will be there as well, as long as someone on the other side has the balls to do what Sharon did and risk his life or his career to fight terrorists and support a PA government that can actually live peacefully with Israel.
    P.S. This is about Holocaust conference - stay on topic and better yet go there and let us know how it went.

21. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All I want is correct history if history is mentioned. Above all if ppl start their statement with "history clearly show ..." and complete it with incorrect data.

I also think that knowing history and aknowledging all the wrongs that lead to the current mess is useful. The first part of your post clearly show you're far from it (that silly "it's all arab's fault" rant).

Don't pretend you didn't understand who I was answering to and what subject.

I did also post my opinion on the topic btw if you really are interested.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    let's try to focus on Iran here and its crazy mullahs, including that whacko president.

23. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    If a bunch of Englishmen and women decide to repatriate to Denmark, buy land, live there for fifty years or so, then after the Danish government falls and is replaced by, oh, let's call it a Japanese colony, and the Japanese government splits the former Danish Empire into various administrative zones, including a majority-English one, and after all those mini-zones are granted independence the rest of the Danish states attack the English state, and get their asses handed to them not once not twice not three times but four times, then the English mini-state occupies some strategic land because they were sick of being invaded not once not twice not three times but four times, and then the Danish states decided to renounce their claim to the occupied territory but encourage Danish terrorist attacks while treating Danish refugees like dogshit, then yeah, you should be able to grab a bit of Denmark.

I recommend it, too. Very pleasant country.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    And making sure that Jews couldn't escape certain death from the Nazis, but nevermind.

I tend to be very pro-British to the point of Anglophilia, but if we're going to point fingers...

25. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Mullah..Moolah...its all the same.

~worm~