News: IOC kills Wrestling from the Summer Games

Discussion in 'International News' started by Mr. Conspiracy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    U.S., Iran, Russia team up to save wrestling

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

And speaking of Olympics and killings, Mr. South African no-legs just got arrested for killing his model girlfriend.

Man! What a way to completely fk up one of the most inspirational stories ever.

Chesco United repped this.
  3. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Snap! Who forgot to make the bribe.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  5. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    The bitch probably wanted to divorce him and take his money.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe he didn't have any more money. Maybe he was on his last legs. As it is, now he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

7. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Touche...

8. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see that when needed the US and Iran can get along. :)

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/02/20/289904/us-wrestling-team-sides-with-irans/

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/02/21/290165/iran-beats-us-in-freestyle-wrestling/

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  9. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I wonder if US and Iran have strong enough lobbies that can overthrow the corrupt decision of IOC

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I teach a course on sports and international affairs, in which we've long discussed the most important intersection between the US and Iran, which has been wrestling for at least 20 years. I think the list in the article Mani quoted a page or so is important as it shows the kinds of countries who have been chose to speak on behalf of the sport - the ten states which fared best at the last Olympics. It's an interesting mix of states.

As for failing to pay a bribe - I doubt the wrestling federation was even at the meeting. Another aspect of the class is "politicking about sport" and what it takes for sports to get added or dropped from the games. This completely flips the accepted model, since the decision cannot be reconciled with other decisions in the past.

Something I am positive about is that it has nothing to do with trying to isolate Iran. Indeed, the reverse will help wrestling's case for readmission: it has the potential to ease tensions with Iran and the west.

11. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  12. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  13. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't see ANY sport being able to have the potential to ease tensions between the IRI and the West. The "ping-pong" diplomacy seen between China and the United States was conducted when China was moving away from its revolutionary excesses. The IRI still has not gotten rid of its revolutionaries. In fact, the IRI has seen a resurgence of its revolutionary fervor in the last 8 years or so. Khamanei recently said he was NOT a diplomat but a revolutionary.

Heck, EVEN when the IRI was moving toward moderation in the 1990's, football/soccer was not able to help ease tensions between the US and Iran when it was the most popular sport in Iran and more popular than wrestling in the US.

14. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Im also very sceptic that this positive engagement between Iran's and US wrestling federations will lead to anything beyond that. Let's see what happens.

Edit: Btw Iran beat Russia in the final, and won the World Cup :D
    I think they beat them in every weight class, but Im not sure.
    Gonna watch it now.

15. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well congrats to Iran for winning the World Cup. Gonna try to take time to watch the matches that I can find this weekend. My son has his regional wrestling tourney this weekend so time may be short.

16. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, it absolutely will not truly improve things politically. But that does not mean the idea that it might won't appeal to the IOC in a big way. There's something of a sibling rivalry between FIFA and the IOC about which one can do the most "good" away from the sporting realm, and which might pip the other to one day (perhaps soon) win the Nobel Peace Prize. Not that either should, but institutionally they are aware of positive legacies, and this would be a chance to publicly state that rapprochement is a factor in a decision.

There's lots of other considerations of course, but this is an avenue of pursuit for FILA to leverage, as evidenced by the clips provided by Mani above.

Ultimately and perhaps confusingly, something does not necessarily have to work for it to work.

18. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    LOL @ Ahmadinejad, he loves the attention

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    ABC News report about the US-Iran wrestling alliance

20. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia has never won a medal in wrestling (not sure it has even won a match) and it is not a sport I would watch, but this is a farcical descision. Wrestling is one of the few sports that has a link not only to the beginning of the modern olympics but also back to the ancient games.

Rugby should be there IMO as it is probably the 3rd biggest team sport after Football and Basketball, although Volleyball would also be close, and 7s rugby which is the proposal is a good adaptation that will only take 2-3 days in a single stadium to run the competition, and allows smaller nations to have a better chance against the powerhouses, is more "amatuer" than the full game, and already has major international competitions. It has also been in the olympics before in 1900, 1908, 1920 and 1924 (France, Australiasia and USA(2) won the golds)

I dont' know about golf as it doesn't really fit the olympics for me (which part of faster higher stronger applies to golf?). But it shouldn't be at the expense of any other sport, golf wouldn't cost the host nation anything as it would be held at a golf course - not needing any upgrades for a city worthy of hosting the games, and should earn them some money as well.

It is what I would call the "made up sports" that should be kicked out IMO. The ones that dont have the history, in or out of olympic competitions. ie Synchronised swimming, trampolining, rythmic gymnastics (also the most corrupt sport in terms of judging) and synchronised diving. These sports are all in their just to increase the gold medal tallies of the (usually rich/ powerful) nations that are good at them.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is that none of those sports are in the Olympics. Rather, swimming and gymnastics are in the Olympics; synchronized swimming and diving, and trampoline and rhythmic gymnastics are events under those sports. Anything under the purview of a particular international sporting federation is within the same sport, and a variety of events. Hence, wrestling and FILA are the (were the) Olympic sport, freestyle and Greco-Roman the events (rather than separate sports).

22. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    CNN Report

Ismitje and teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  23. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Times Square:

25. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=26389

Too bad we can't get the heads of each organization to handle the differences between the US and Iran politically.