Invited Countries to Copa América

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by IncaEnclave, Jul 20, 2011.

1. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I think Mexico and Japan will be guest countries for Copa América 2015 as Mexico always is invited and Japan will be re-invited after having to cancel this year. However, with the schedule of the Copa America going to be likely quadrennial then I would like to review the process of sending out invitations to non-CONMEBOL countries.

Mexico had to send a lesser squad to Copa America this year because of the proximity with the Gold Cup (and it being extra important as the champion gets to go the Confederations Cup). I know Mexico wasn't too pleased with their performance this year but I have to imagine it was an outstanding experience for their young players that should payoff soon enough. Mexico has been the second best performing team in recent Copa America history (behind Brazil) and has been a vital link for Americans like me in terms of sponsorship and broadcasting on accessible US television.

The second invitee was always supposed to be the US but since the US has turned down invites frequently it tends to go to another CONCACAF nation such as Costa Rica or Honduras but also Japan was invited and went in 1999.

How about inviting the European Championship host to the Copa America? I'm sure they would want a tune up as they would be unable to go through qualifiers as the rest of the participants in the Euros would have to.

Imagine France (host of the 2016 Euros) being in Copa America 2015? I know sometimes there are co-hosts but even then something can be worked out. I actually think Poland and Ukraine would've been more competitive than Mexico's and Costa Rica's U-22 sides.

2. hwkn

hwkn Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The US wouldn't turn down the invitation if they offered to let us host it.

3. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Then I guess that means no more US on the Copa América.

Also any invited side will have the trouble of being denied players by the clubs even if they aren't limited to U22 players like Mexico and Costa Rica, which is why Japan withdrew.

How about not inviting anybody? I think that's the best idea, period.

4. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I would the U.S or Mexico to come, but make them prioritize this cup over concacrap.

5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Actually, after the embarrasment of seeing in this years edition, how the four semifinalist teams played only not to lose, I would eliminate the knock-out phase too and go back to the 2 groups of 5 teams each (no invited guests), and have semifinals between the first of one group against the second of the other, to get the 2 teams who would play for third (losers in semifinals), and the 2 teams (winners in semifinals), who would actually play for the title....

6. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    te apoyo.

7. Mr. Beelzebub

Mr. Beelzebub Member

Jun 12, 2007
    West New York
    There are talks of inviting even more teams for the next cup. You could be looking at a 14 team tourney for next Copa America.

10 team tournament is not a feasible plan. What do you people want 8 teams advancing out of 10???? Or just ******** the groups stage and go straight elimination 'cause you can't have groups without 8 teams in the next stage.

8. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    2 groups of 5 teams. Then straight into semifinals (1a vs. 2b, 1b vs. 2a) or a second group stage like it was done for 1989, 1991

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, we will have 2 groups of 5 CONMEBOL teams in them, where the 2 first of each group advance to semifinals as I already explained, and afterwards will decide who will the champion be.

At the same time there is going to be a third group, with 4 invited teams, who will play between each other, and who wins is going to be declared, the Champion of the invited guests group and sent back home with a small 2 inch tall copper replica (donated by Chile) of the Copa America, with a small badge that will say : "Thank you for participating, try again next time"
    :D

10. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nobody is talking about having 8 teams to qualify.

11. Broncano

Broncano Moderator

Jul 31, 2006
    Lima
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Apparently, the current format has its days numbered.

http://www.canchallena.com/1391242-se-viene-una-nueva-copa-america

The idea is to merge Copa de Oro and Copa America into one "Copa de las Americas" with 16 teams (10 CONMEBOL teams and 6 CONCACAF)

Thoughts?

12. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I doubt that will happen. USA will want the tournament to be played in the US every time, or every other time. I doubt CONMEBOL would allow that. Their egos are too big.

As for Mexico: they are really the 11th team. They will always play the Copa America because they bring both US and Mexican TV dollars. And as long as the money talks, they can bring their worst team to play for all they care.

13. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    The Copa America is a proud stand-alone tournament. Two groups of 5 with the the top two in each playing semis and the the final. Every team gets four games and the finalists 6. An easy and good solution me thinks.

14. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Sorry, just seen this. IGNORE my post everyone!

15. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    10+6 is the best idea. US has to wait to host it just like every other participating country

16. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  17. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  18. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, another thing could be having the top team of each group qualifying to the semi-final and have the second and third of each group eliminate another so they meet the top ones in the semi-final. Meaning that the teams that finish on top of the group would play 6 matches, the teams that finish 2nd or 3rd between 5 and 7 matches and the ones that don't make it out the group 4 matches, meaning that there could be less matches in total but more matches for each team.

The best is idea is 10+0. Even if they were invited the rotation is only between south american teams, so they'd never host it.

19. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    error craso

de ser asi, que saquen la copa oro de USA
    viajes de mas 3 o 4 hrs Incluso entre equipos del mismo grp? wTF

que roten la sede entre 6 paises (no islas por favor), a pesar que fifa jugo un mundial juvenil en trinidad y T.

O porque no lo juegan al mismo tiempo, con 10 en cada lado (2 grps de 5) y la misma sede.
    avanzan los dos mejores de cada GRP.....partidos de ida y vuelta, el mejor por puntos es el campeon!!! quieren otro formato?
    No se si lo anterior propone ganacias monetarias....pero volvemos al mismo tema de copa Libertadores con invitados (un viaje de 9 o 11hrs para un partido) ....que desgaste

usa.....tiene de sede a boston-foxboro y los charruas el Centenario??