Interview with Wenger/Gazidis

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by antifan, Aug 7, 2010.

1. biggonez

biggonez BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No, the problem is not that you question. Even the most staunch apologists have questions. The problem is that when you and all the other "haters" question, you don't really question. You believe you have all the answers. For instance, you judge a player like Kos, who hasn't played a real game yet, and believe he's not good enough. Period. You judge players like Denilson, Diaby, Almunia, and deem them not good enough when cold, hard stats prove otherwise. And the general consensus among the you "haters" is that Arsenal has some divine right to win. Doing well and coming close does not count.

So questioning is ok. Acting pompous while doing so is not.

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not questioning Kos or Diaby, Denilson etc. I'm questioning Flappy and Manny as our #1 and the lack of depth behind an already injured Djourou. There is nothing pompous about that.

3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    What in the world are you talking about? I haven't made a comment about Kosielny to date. I haven't seen enough of him to judge him. Cold, hard stats prove Almunia, Diaby and Denilson are good enough? Really? Seriously?

I don't have a problem with Denilson and Diaby. Maybe you haven't been on the board for a while, but I have repeatedly said that we should keep both players (actually I have said that we should keep all of our players and add more..and I have been saying it for many seasons now). Now, niether Diaby or Densilon are DMs. We only have one real DM. We've only had one since we let three of them leave at the same time a few seasons ago. Thats the problem. Wenger has identified this area as a problem a long time ago but hasn't fixed it. That's the problem. Now we're seeing the same thing with the CBs. We don't have enough. We let three go, and we bought one. Djourou may have a good season. Same goes for Kos. Same goes for TV. But that's all we have, and we're supposed to compete on four fronts over nine/ten months? I don't buy the argument that we can't find another CB as good as these guys to add to the mix. No one is asking for Nesta, but there isn't another TV or perhaps Kosielny out there? It's BS.

Now, to your divine right question: I'll speak for myself and say that this "hater" wants to win trophies, but I don't think its the end all be all. I can deal with not being good enough compared to Chelsea, ManU and the like if it turns out that way. What I can't stand is that we don't do the best we can to try to win. We sacrifice tournaments, we let positions go unaddressed, we sell our best players and then we blame injuries, inexperience and youth for our failings. It gets old.

You may not like what I have said, but it doesn't make it wrong. I didn't make anything up in my last post. I only can call it as I see it.

4. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore

I think I've heard it all now....

5. biggonez

biggonez BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was not reffering to you in particular. I apologize for not making that clear. I was speaking in generalities in response to a generalized comment you made in your previous statement, "After all, if you even question the coach or the club, you're not a true supporter according to some fans.

Many detractors frequently complain about players such as Denilson, Diaby, and Almunia who are mistake prone and inconsistent, yes, but they conveniently leave out the good stats and good performances, while using their mistakes as a reason to oust Wenger. People to rag on Almunia despite the fact that since the '06-'07 season, he has had a 36/133 better than Lehmann or Seaman. Denilson is constantly ragged on no matter what he does. I remember people ragging on him when he collapsed during the Everton game last January which led to a goal. In actuality he is one of the best passing outlets on the team. He has one of the best pass completion percetages in the league. Diaby is another player who receives criticism no matter what he does. It is harder to measure what he does in stats. He is inconsistent, but has more good games than my point is no matter the problem detractors often can't look past the usual suspects in their hate of Wenger. Not a specific dig at you.

6. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Re: Interview with Wenger

Please tell me you are joking! Great managers but hardly intellectuals!

7. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i hear arsene wants to sign Given, but it really is his own fault that we've won nothing since 2005.

My real expectation for the season is to win one of the domestic cups, and beat Spurs in the champions league. i reckon they'll beat young boys over two legs, but a quarter-final mullering of them would be sweet.

8. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Depends on smarts. Fergie and Mourihno are the masters of psychological taunts. Ask Keegan or Benitez. :D

9. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore

That says a whole lot more about the mental midgetry of Keegan/Benitez.

10. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland

fergie is no fool. he actually has a strong interest in politics, enough to be one of the biggest individual donators to the labour party (from his trade union roots).
    i used to like him before he went to united, then hated him for years, but i've grown to kind of respect him again. :)

11. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was sure that Fergie lost the plot 5 years ago. He proved me wrong. ******** him.

12. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
  13. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines