Interview with Wenger/Gazidis

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by antifan, Aug 7, 2010.

1. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    Re: Interview with Wenger

then again, as of the end of last season, graham now has a better "league titles per year" average than wenger. *shrug* of course, wenger has another 4 seasons to overtake him again. ;)

2. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland

I still don't see why people confuse economics and financial management.

Also, what does his degree have to do with him being the first team coach? When other teams are seeking out the first team coach and not the CEO to talk about transfers, there is a problem.

IMO, Wenger talks like he wants to be a FIFA director or something. He's on a crusade to save the worldwide game from all of the evil teams that only play to win and are willing to do it by any means necessary. I respect his views, but this fight shouldn't be his fight. He should leave that fight for others more equipped to make a tangible difference. Wenger's job is to put out the best and most competitive team Arsenal can given the resources Wenger has available - be it by using the transfer market and the budget he has been given, by using his youth academy or by using his current players. The CEO and board of directors should worry about the well-being of the club as a whole, and the game authorities (FIFA, FA, whomever) should worry about the macro welfare of the game. Right now, it seems like the balance is off, and, imo, it's due to Wenger not concentrating on solely being the first-team coach. Our team is suffering for it.

3. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson
  5. biggonez

biggonez BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I'm sorry, but with that comment you sound like a right twat.

One thing you and the rest of the haters need to understand is that despite your incessant whining Wenger is not going anywhere for years to come. The club loves him and the majority of fans around the world love him. Even if, god forbid, we go longer without winning a trophy, he's going nowhere. The club just offered him a 5-year extension. So find a new club or learn to like him.

6. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson

Guess who sounds like the twat now? Isn't me.

7. ithacat

ithacat Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love Wenger and I'm glad he's extending -- the sooner the better. His patience drives me batshittycrazy, but I still love the guy.

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did anyone watch the interview?

Gazidis said: "You have transfer fees of £30 million to £40m being talked about as if it's monopoly money - it isn't and it's not sustainable for any football business. We can't and won't compete.

9. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland

I did. I thought the part he said right before that (starting around the 9 minute mark) was much more interesting. He must think we're stupid. The rest of the interview basically is what you would expect to hear from the company's CEO.

10. superduck18

superduck18 Member

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

His reluctance to buy has nothing to do with debt or how much money he has to spend. It has all to do with a man's obsession to do things his way - and only his way. If that means dragging fans through the gutter during transfer windows, not addressing obvious needs in a practical manner, or having his teams finishing on the fringe of trophies, so be it.

He's doing it his own way and that's really all he cares about - some kind of higher calling that surpasses even winning...

11. BenP

BenP Member

May 23, 2006
    Like I said at the end of last season, Wenger should be canned.

Its clear now he's not going to change. I hope I'm wrong. I badly would like to proven wrong and have us win the league. But his failure to improve the defense is criminal. I don't think he's capable of successfully managing this club anymore. A great manager, but he's become stale at Arsenal.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    hear, hear!

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A spurs fan agrees with you on this point. In other words, you're wrong.

I think the lack of transfer spending isn't Wenger's fault, but rather the board being unwilling to fund transfers, for whatever reason. I refuse to believe that Wenger isn't spending money simply because he's cheap - you only need to see his interviews after games we lose to see how badly he wants to win.

This, of course, begs the question: what is the board planning on doing with all the cash on hand? The debt is very long term, and at very favorable rates, which is nothing like LOLerpool (incredibly short term) or Man United (ridiculously high interest junk bonds). My guess is that it's something to do with the property business.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

wow i diddn't know u were charles xavier and have been in arsenes mind

look how much money we spent back in the 90's

he does spend, but if u hadn't noticed the massive cnuting stadium we have now then maybe u never will....

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yes! let's sack our best manager ever whose shrewd business has captured us a beautiful stadium, more worldwide revenue, 3 league titles, 3 fa cups and a champions league final

he's proper fcuking shite isn't he?

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ars-ne-wenger-signs-contract-extension

you will get something right, one day ;)

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

This is a good interview

honestly, in 10-20 years when Arsenal are completely self sufficient and dominating football while some of these clubs who have been puffed up with bank loans and when the billionaires leave because they are not making money (or reign in on spending) these 5 years without a trophy will not only mean nothing but this period will be thought of much higher than the people who are complaining now (in fact these same people will probably start talking highly of this period, lol)

18. ithacat

ithacat Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sadly, I fear that might be prophetic.

I like the part about augmenting the squad when necessary and doing it in a sensible manner. That's all I'm hoping for really.

19. ithacat

ithacat Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We won't know for a decade or two, but I don't believe it. I think there's always going to be some billionaries who want an elite club (read winning clubs). If not, the world economy will be in very bad shape.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

what i've been saying for ages

people are impatient

21. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

not buying it.
    the money is there and available.
    we would be a self sufficient club, even if we bought a keeper and a centrehalf.
    dont give me that crap.

22. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland

Repped.

EDIT: Well, I tried to rep you.

23. BenP

BenP Member

May 23, 2006
    I go back and forth. I do think the pro-Wenger folks make some good points.

That said, I can't be anything but skeptical at this point. My problem isn't big spending. Its, in particular, the unwillingness/inability to fix problems like 1) defensive organization; 2) willingness to sign cheap/stopgap players (look at what Campbell did last year). In general, I'm concerned that Wenger has become bigger than the club itself, which is problematic in that he is accountable to no one and allows mistakes/misjudgements to go uncorrected.

Arsene, IMO, has major blindspots that are becoming bigger problems with time.

24. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So our willingness to sign cheap/stopgap players like Sol is a problem? or it isn't? :confused:

25. BenP

BenP Member

May 23, 2006
    The problem is the unwillingness. Sol was an aberration. Why not resign him?

Why not make 5 million pound signings to fill out the squad, something Liverpool has done? Something even teams like Sunderland and Fulham do? I'm sorry, but I don't accept that there aren't viable CB squad players we couldn't have signed this summer. Indeed, we let one we had leave because of Wenger's frankly silly policy about over 30s.