Rumor: International Match @ Gillette or Boston area?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SeñorFutbol, Apr 23, 2013.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you follow a AAA team that is doing well, unless the parent club is absolutely stacked and cruising along in first place, you are probably going to lose your best players at some point, and then the team won't do so well. That's probably why AAA fans (and minor league sports fans in general) aren't going to get too worked up about the results. Therefore the message is about the event: Come out on a nice summer night, enjoy a good baseball game with guys who are only one step away from the big leagues. As a bonus, you can always say you saw [star X] when no one had ever heard of him. You never hear about hooligan action between supporters of the Scranton-Wikes Barre Red Barons and the New Britain Rock Cats, although I'm sure there are some plenty tough guys on both sides!

By comparison, while MLS stars might make the jump to a big 5 league, we are at the point where we are not purely a feeder league and we have lots of bona fide stars of our own. For many, we are a destination league, as Mexico is the only league in the region that can pay as well or as regularly as MLS.

Seamus nailed it, the Revs could have a higher profile if they were treated as a "serious" team by their own management. Look at Tronna, they have been crap since day-one for several years. Their fans are getting frustrated, and rightfully so, but they are a legitimate team in their media market. Not on the scale of the Leafs, but they are at least in the conversation among the Jays, Raptors, Argos and Marlies. Part of the reason people are frustrated is the fact that they are a "real" team, so the expectations are that they would have improved by now. By contrast, a stealth team like the Revs can wallow in nothingness for years and hardly anyone would notice.

RevsFanDan and KaptPowers repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard more commercials on 98.5 selling tickets for this one game, than all the Revs games combined this year.

3. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know that, but I can't judge. I still mourn the death of the mighty New Haven Ravens (2000 Eastern League champs!).

4. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would know it even more if you came to more than 1 tailgate every 5 years

5. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would come to games but I developed a really serious, late-onset allergy to bullshit.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, then you're definitely going to want to stay at least two states away from Foxborough.

7. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    side effects: may develop sleep eating behavior, serious neuropsychiatric events, dizziness, night sweats and anal leakage.

patfan1 and RevsFanDan repped this.
  8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you (the organization) are excited about Brazil-Portugal, but how does that international friendly benefit the Revs?

RevsFanDan and Crooked repped this.
  9. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This is a great question. There has been an uptick in interest in mini-game plans AND 2014 Season Tickets since the announcement.

patfan1 repped this.
  10. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So there's been ... 'an uptick (a number higher than the last known number) in interest (the state of wanting to know more)' about various ticket plans.

Will this rise in interest eventually translate to actual sales of these ticket plans? Could it be offset by "a downturn in interest" for existing plan holders, resulting in a total net loss of interest? ;)

11. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well that is my job to make sure the uptick in interest leads to actual butts in seats for Revs games....

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Why would it result in downturn in interest for existing customers?

13. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    All that matters is when will the Revs sign Ronaldinho?;)

Crooked repped this.
  14. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but, but this is a "Once in a lifetime experience," according to the ad....

RevsFanDan repped this.
  16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected this to happen. That's why Krafty isn't getting any of my money for this one.

Khkevin, RevsFanDan and dncm repped this.
  17. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no desire to ever spend big money to watch an exhibition match. Ever.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevsLiverpool repped this.
  19. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He said "offset by" not "result in". I know comprehension is hard, but....

Alan repped this.
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eusebio, plus whoever replaces CRo and the other 21 world class players on the pitch!

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the Liverpool pre-season friendly at Fenway a year ago - just a unique experience. But I hear you.

22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I also figured he would be out. Do they have any published of the rosters of both squads?

23. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may just be Bob Kraft's biggest money grab to date..!

The suckers willing to shell out god knows how much money to that monger for what may be a game filled with b level players is mind boggling. And just proves my point that the Apathy that Soccer fans have in the Boston area is about on par with Bob Kraft's...just that he's richer and tomorrow night they make him even more richer!

Also proves that none of the people going to that game give 2 $hits about the USMNT game against Mexico and that suits Bob Kraft even more!

:thumbsdown:

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Is that the best you can do?

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, I have less of a problem with the Krafts' money grab with this than I do in knowing (or at least haveing a resonable suspicion) that none of this "soccer" money is going to benefit the Revs in any way, shape or form. Any significant DP signing is largely paid for from the club owners wanting to bring in a player that will not only make the team better on the field, but also be enough of a "name" to interest new fans. The Revs have said this in the past, but we all know that any player well-known enough to move the needle (for example, a guy who ironically enough, won't be there) is not going to be even close to affordable, even if you went with the ridiculous theory that the Revs are willing to spend Dempsey/Beckham money for a player.

Nope, even the idea of getting, say, 2 $500,000/year DPs next year by using some of this windfall is no more than a pipe dream. We'll be lucky if they sign Goncalves, but asking for a new guy who can be what Agudelo has been this year is probably unrealistic as well....