Rumor: International Match @ Gillette or Boston area?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SeñorFutbol, Apr 23, 2013.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually said it was a good business decision. There was no derision of Kraft ... but you still had to defend...

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next question is, will the home game vs MON, currently set for 9/7, be moved to make this a double-header?

3. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Are you serious? He clearly wrote that the game was deliberately scheduled for the Monday to leave the weekend open for another money-generating event. He totally ignored the possibility that the Monday date was the preference of the teams.

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd say that it's highly unlikely considering they'll sell this game out anyway. They'd have to include it as part of the season ticket package, taking away a bunch of valuable midfield seats. I'd say the chances of it being a double header are slim to none.

5. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    A smart busines decision would be to offer reduced ticket prices for Portugal - Brazil for people that purchase single game tickets to the Revs - MTL game.

People will be paying tickets for both games... one "reduced" to over regular season ticket price...
    Portugal - Brazil will sell out regardless.
    You're still going to pay parking at least for Portugal - Brazil
    people are going to buy beer food at Revs - MTL, and some merch, etc..
    Portugal - Brazil is going to sell a LOT of beer, and a LOT of food...
    and you offer the casual observer/rabid por/bra fan an incentive to purchase tickets and see the mighty New England Revolution with exactly one win and 2 goals.
    RevsSeasonTix

6. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's right. I forgot about that. Now give me a moment to remove my foot from my mouth. (Again.)

revsrock repped this.
  7. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I've always thought it was a great incentive to buy season tix when I knew a special game or two was included each season. The Revs pulled the plug on this a few years back with Man U. game.

Why not this:

Buy a season ticket to the Revs remaining home games (prorated price) and receive 1 free ticket to the Brasil vs. Portugal match. Free parking for every 2 season tickets purchased. Limited availability.

or

Discounted tix to STHs and FREE parking in Lot 5.

These big games are important to the Revs FO to try and use to boost either season ticket plans or specific single games.

oh yeah...almost forgot...I'm sure the effort was made to steer the organizations to play on a Revs home match day to get the attendance #s up! Works every time!

Crooked repped this.
  8. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I couldn't agree more. People complain about these two particular ethnic groups not showing enough interest in the team. This seems like a great opportunity to expose them to our product and try to get them interested.

9. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Your Revs stats are outdated.

Sachem07 repped this.
  10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol Who said diabolical? I was giving KSG credit even if it wasn't premeditated. The irony that you of all people picked up on that post as somehow a criticism and someone repped you for misreading my post (he has apparently un-repped you since) is hilarious.

What are you talking about? I was simply giving them credit for a good business decision (if it was intentional). Why would you bother quoting me for that? And why am I responding to you? Who knows.

11. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  12. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't generally post, I mostly read the board, so I appreciate being trolled by you, it helps me feel relevant.

Crooked repped this.
  13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's generally what they do (discount and early access to tickets and 1 free parking pass per account).
    Oh man, we've been there and done that. The Revs just get majorly dissed in the process (if the Revs are first, people show up late. If the Revs are 2nd, there's a mass exodus after game one). Plus, a double-header takes about 5 hours and I don't think Foxborough would be real happy with 60K+ fans hitting the road ~midnight.

Just make it a standalone game, make a lot of money and use it to finance a DP.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  14. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain game Grrrrrrrrr :mad:. I still get mad when I remember how I laid out over $200 for tickets to that game only to see Bob Bradley trot out the 'B' team. I know all about the timing and other games coming up after that game but it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like I was screwed.

So this game, if it happens, could be interesting but you never know if the two teams will bring in their stars or if we'd pay top dollar for a JV scrimmage. Heaven knows we aren't getting ANY NAT games here anymore. Remember when Foxboro was an automatic for that? I think the turf , and the cost of laying sod over it, ended that.

15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You have selective reading. I'm recommending offering this as part of a season ticket for the rest of the season. Buy Portugal-Brazil tickets now and for only $xx.xx more get Revs season tickets for the rest of the season. I completely agree with you're saying, the Revs always get dissed in a double header sitaution, but then again, that's not what I'm advocating for.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  16. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how long it takes to remove the grass. Pats play home opener that following Thursday. Which means the grass has to be completely removed by Wednesday AM. For Pats and Jets walk through practices.

17. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do know the Pats play Thursday/Sunday/Monday night games that end at or close to midnight. This past season they 2 straight weeks games ending at midnight.

18. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    All I did was point out that your info was inaccurate. If that's trolling then so be it.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I felt the same way. Especially when Spain brings a quality team and we don't even want to get that irreplaceable competitive experience that comes from playing the best? Why invite Spain if you aren't even going to play your first team?

My other lasting memory was the thoroughly embarrassing display put on by Sam's Army and other US supporters behind the goal at the lighthouse end.
    Yes, but ...

- the town doesn't really like the late games, but puts up with them (partly because it's "america's game")
    - people generally don't trust soccer crowds (lack of familiarity?), as we've seen from TeamOps. Possibly because of the "foreigners" or because of stories of riots and hooligans from Europe and elsewhere, possibly because the whole sport is somewhat foreign to the local decision makers and law enforcement.
    - with Pat's games, they are pretty familiar with the type of crowd and potential problems that can arise. With a game like this, there are 10's of thousands of fans who come who don't come often or haven't been there at all. So it's a much more unpredictable situation from the town's point of view.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I am repeatedly reminded, Sam's Army barely exists anymore. So don't blame us. :p

Crooked repped this.
  21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Because there's nothing quite like standing and singing for 90 degrees in summertime heat when your nation's B team is getting trounced. You're a piece of work. I love how you belittle and criticize the supporters even though you have no interest in participating.

bwidell repped this.
  22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, if he knew anything about who he was criticizing he would have known that American Outlaws were the ones who organized and managed the supporter's section, tailgate, etc. for that match. However, he'd rather blindly criticize from afar, even if he's not being critical of the right people.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yes, I know I'm defending a group that barely exists. :(

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon, stop picking on poor DJEsq. He's taken enough from you lot already!

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, excuuuuuuuuuse me. Whatever supporters group and/or individuals were involved then.
    I have no problem with standing and singing. What I have a problem with is people who are so falling down drunk they barely notice there's a game going on. I also have a problem with the obscenity chants repeated over and over again. I have a problem with the female (I hesitate to call her a woman) in front of me who screeched like a witch most of the game and was passed out in the aisle at the final whistle.

Spain, IMHO, plays brilliant football and is worthy of a little respect. To have them bombarded with obscenities from drunken idiots is pretty classless and pretty embarrassing to me as an American (and whatever other country's fans do when our team is visiting doesn't justify similar behavior here).

If we're going to bring a B team to play the best in the world, we should at least take our beating with a little dignity.