Interesting Wave Update

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by IndoorSoccerNews, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndoorSoccerNews

Nov 28, 2010
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    i imagine the wave will work out an extension wit the cell. especially if they join the pasl. black is likely to get some of her money back from the misl because she paid in for 3 years and the league is folding after 1. now i don't know how much, but even if she only gets half of the 250k back, that should be enough to wipe out her dents .

3. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    She never paid $250K did she? They were already in the league when she took over the team. She could get her letter of credit back.

"Dude, I'm working on it!" haha

4. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    i'm not sure whether the franchise fee is a one time deal upon joining the league or is it something you have to re-up with a new contract. if its the latter then shes likely to get it back, since she was asked to reup the league deal upon taking control of the team.

5. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    so the wave pay 5500 a game or about 55k a year in rent, minus the rate of kids games which is lower. say 50k in all. thats pretty reasonable, isnt it?

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually a "franchise fee" is just that - the right to buy a franchise from the franchisee, to be in the league. Year-to-year league assessments are, obviously, an annual cost, but they're not a "franchise fee."

And while we don't know the machinations of the actual agreement, I'm not sure anyone ever puts all three years up in cash right from the get-go.

And $5,526 a game, if that includes everything (setup and takedown, the video stuff, security) is a really good deal. We were paying $11,000 a night in the CISL in Indiana in 1996 and 1997. Part of the reason there was no 1998.

NickWISoccer repped this.
  7. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    thanks kenn for the info. so it is a very reasonable rate. if i were sue i'd re-up for one year with the goal of doing a long-term deal,since hopefully being in the pasl will offer assurances the league will be there for at least a few years. teams may come and go like they always do, but as long as the Wave have a place to call home they'll keep playing.

8. Wave Fan

Wave Fan Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    On top of that she get's a cut of concessions per their new agreement as well, so that rental cost is even lower than that.

9. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Syd , When she bought the team she had to buy her own USL Franchise and sign a new 3 year agreement with the league . I wonder if the former owner seen this coming and suckered her in to buying the team LOL

10. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I don't know for a fact, but what you're saying sounds incorrect. Let's say someone bought DC United for $30 million. They don't ALSO pay a $40 million expansion fee to the league. They might sign a contract to be bound by the terms of membership in the league, but they don't pay anything other than the annual assessments.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, who knows how soccer business works better than Lewis?

CometsFan repped this.
  12. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you at a secondary arena or Market Square?

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MSA. The only other arena in town would have been what was then the Pepsi Coliseum on the fairgrounds.

Which, oddly enough, has undergone a huge renovation and will house an ECHL team next winter. It would actually now be a very good venue for an indoor team. If you could get dates. Oh, and an owner.

MSA was a fabulous building for hockey and indoor soccer. Just terrific.

14. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing the Wave's rent is much cheaper because the Mecca has to be price competitive to get any events (IIRC, all they have is UWM men's basketball, the shows that can't afford to play the Bradley Center, and the Wave.).

By the way, was the Pan-Am Pavilion (part time home of the Ice when they can't play at Bankers Life) ever an option?

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and dates, were the reasons for the move, I believe.

US Cellular is also more appropriately-sized.

Oh, God, no. You couldn't get anybody in there. I don't know what they've done to it since I left town in 2001, but that would have been a substandard PASL venue.

16. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew it was small. I didn't know it was that small (was going only by photos).

17. Dallas Sidekicks

Mar 22, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the eyes of their loyal fan's the Milwaukee Wave made the wrong move one year late,

Sneaking out of town under the cover of darknee and reloating to Green Bay Owner Sue Black became even more notorious the head coach she gave up Keith Tozer was the loss that a failing but once-proud indoor soccer could not survive...

18. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    dallas i have no idea what you are talking about. theres no reason to relocate to Green Bay.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your first sentence speaks for everybody. :)

20. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think she had paid the full amount I am sure she paid some type of fee to buy the team and get approved by the USL they seem to have a fee for everything .

21. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how Francisco Marcos rolls (so I've heard from many and unrelated sources).

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know Marcos doesn't really make any USL-related decisions anymore, right? Hasn't for years?

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  23. Dallas Sidekicks

Mar 22, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have any one seen the Mayflower truck out side the U.S. Cellular Arena in Milwaukee it like the Milwaukee Wave are relocate to Green Bay.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can make no sense in two languages, I'll bet.

25. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that, but did the current people in charge have any incentive to change the great framework Mr. Marcos put in place to make money? For people in charge, I mean? :)