[NDR] insanity

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by metroag, Feb 14, 2011.

1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Kryptonite implies it is bad for you. If you are Superman, Whataburger is the sun.

ChrizG13 and *rey* repped this.
  2. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to the ultramarathoners! A couple Sundays ago, finished my 11th Houston Marathon, 12th marathon total. It was 20 yrs and 3 days after my 1st marathon (Houston '94)...

[​IMG]

DNez2001, Barrelhead, metroag and 2 others repped this.
  3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    MLSNHTOWN repped this.
  4. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Congrats dude! You are now a Houston marathon vet and bypass the lottery!

5. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, when they started the lottery a few yrs ago, they also exempted the people who had 5-9 Houston finishes (I guess so they could keep going for 10 finishes and become a Veteran). I already had 7 finishes at that point, I think, so I haven't had to worry about the lottery anyway. Having "10 Year Veteran" over my name on my bib this yr got some compliments from the spectators, I had to tell them, "It just means I'm completely insane!" :)

MLSNHTOWN and troutseth repped this.
  6. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I desperately need 2 runners to round out my team for the Texas Independence Relay for the end of this month. A really fun event. A cross between a road trip and half/marathon. Please message me ASAP if you are interested.

http://texasindependencerelay.com/

7. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its that time again. Any runners out there interested in doing the Texas Independence Relay? http://texasindependencerelay.com/
    It is in 2 weeks 3/28
    I need 1 runner to make 12 for my team. We are a laid back team with a 5 year captain and half the runners with TIR experience. Let me ASAP if you are interested.

8. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exchange 6 is near my brother in-laws property that he's letting them use for that race.

9. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to not be able to help you out, txsn. Palm Sunday weekend, have to be with our choir at church.

But thanks for bumping this thread - on 1/18, finished Houston #12, overall #13. Big wup, who cares. However, our friend @MLSNHTOWN finished his first ever half-marathon that day! Woohoo! Well done, sir...

Heft and MLSNHTOWN repped this.
  10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Thanks! Don't know that I have recovered yet. LOL. Had an ingrown toenail infection two days before the half-marathon. Didn't think there was a chance in hell i was going to be able to run. But then adrenaline kicks in!

zolafan and Heft repped this.
  11. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd run but I'm running back-to-back-to-back races at S F Austin State Park. Have fun! I did it back in 2012 and it was quite an experience. Be safe!

12. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hey Frenchman,

How’d you fair at the San Felipe Shootout? I thought it was great course. A few unique downhill portions.

I finished 24th overall in the Shootout – 19th among males and 11th among my age group. My best individual finish was the 20th overall in the 10K, ranking 17th among males and 8th among my age group.

Attached Files:

13. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, I could have have used a runner like you! We ended up doing well for us and finished middle of the pack 70 something of 150.

14. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You ran as part of a team? What's your team name? I have been hesitant to join a team because I have trouble committing to races. I work in manufacturing, which requires weekend work whenever necessary, so I always avoided teams in fear of letting my teammates down if I couldn't make it.

On another note, have any of you guys run the Brazos Bend 50? If I have not been training specifically for an ultra marathon, do you imagine I can complete the course without bonking if I slow my pace? It's coming up soon, and I was thinking about entering.

My longest distance ever is 26.5 miles in 3:43:00. I've never surpassed that, nor have I been training for an ultra marathon. I have not exceeded 26 miles since the USA Fit Sugar Land Marathon in February. I ran the San Felipe's combined 22.4 miles without issue, but I am concerned about bonking due to a lack of ultra marathon race-specific training.

Heft repped this.
  15. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo assistant coach Wade Barrett slayed the trail knar Saturday at the Brazos Bend 100, posting an unofficial time of 15:44:01 and taking second place in the muddy 100-miler.

The course's route allows runners to cross one another numerous times, and he looked fresh and controlled deep into the race. I was lucky enough to cross the 50-mile finish as his pacer was prepping to enter the fray, and she said he felt strong and was gunning for the top spot. Unfortunately, he missed first place by less than three minutes.

The shy opened up and unleashed massive showers intermittently throughout the afternoon and evening, turning the trails closer to the Brazos River into slush. Might've slowed him down a bit. Amazing performance, nonetheless.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_N8Y8wv63K/?taken-by=trailracingovertexas

Attached Files:

16. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I can't even watch TV for 15 hours straight.

TX Bill, *rey* and Soccergodlss repped this.
  17. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its completely unreal. That's close to 4 marathons. Its impossible for me to fathom, almost like trying to grasp the actual size of the universe.

CeltTexan and DNez2001 repped this.
  18. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends....is it World Cup season with all of those shows running 24/7 analyzing every sneeze? If so, I can totally do it. If not, I'll need a nap by hour seven to heal up for the second half of TV watching.

CeltTexan and El Naranja repped this.
  19. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Heft, metroag, *rey* and 2 others repped this.
  20. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

But that's because Dane Richards wasn't in the race.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Love ya Cap.

CeltTexan repped this.
  21. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    DNez2001 repped this.
  22. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    For those on these boards who've asked about Wade's whereabouts, he's apparently been preparing for one of the nation's pivotal ultramarathons. A recently-updated registered runners list for the famed Bandera 100K now includes the Captain.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 2.34.44 PM.png
    For those unfamiliar with ultrarunning, the Bandera 100K is a race whose top two men and women gain entry in the world's oldest 100-mile footrace, the Western States Endurance Run. Gaining entry into Western States is very sought after, which means so-called "Golden Ticket" races traditionally draw deep fields.

While Barrett crushes local and regional races, a stiff challenge stands before him this weekend. This will be arguably his fourth attempt at top-tier ultramarathon. He placed 108th overall at the ultra-competitive 2016 North Face 50-Mile Endurance Challenge in San Fransisco in December 2016. He placed 20th overall at the 2014 Rocky Raccoon 100, which is also a WSER golden ticket race. He took 13th overall at the 2012 Rocky Raccoon 100.

Hopefully he does very well. I am sure he's been training very hard.

Soccergodlss, DNez2001 and Heft repped this.
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States