[NDR] insanity

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by metroag, Feb 14, 2011.

1. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
  2. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Then I must be insane as well - I'm running Austin this weekend and looking forward to training for the 100 and 50 miler trail races down the line Have a few 50 and 25Ks lined up.

What races do you run HJ?

3. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Frenchy you are nuts as well. and your meniscus agrees with me.

4. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    There are more than a few Dynamo supporters in this forum who are marathoners and some folks like ZolaFan and Schwabe have been out there pounding the pavement for far longer than I have. I have tremendous respect for them and for anyone who pushes their own limits.

I ran my first marathon a few years back and it went pretty well so I figured I could either train hard and run it faster, which sounded like a lot of work, or I could train easy and just run further. I took the easy route :) Running ultra distance is easier in a way. You have to plan a lot more walking into your race (unless you're someone like Wade) and it becomes a game of managing your energy and your nutrition throughout the day and night. It's not uncommon to burn 8000 to 12000 or more calories during the course of a 100 mile race. There's something surreal and cool about running along a trail in the middle of the night with your entire world encapsulated in the small circle of light from your headlamp while your iPod sits on your shoulder playing Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.

I definitely enjoy trail running more than road running. Right now I'm in triathlon season and I'm training for the Ironman in the Woodlands in late May, but then it's probably going to be back to ultra running for the rest of the year and into the winter. I'm taking another crack at the Rocky Raccoon 100 miler next February and I'd like to finish it in under 24 hours if possible. I'm probably going to run the Cactus Rose 100 on Halloween weekend as well and probably all the local 50k races I can find throughout the fall and winter.

I think it's really great that Wade's into it as well. Last year I busted my ass to try to finish the RR 50 in under 10 hours. Wade had a "decent" race with what he described as a bad finish and he still nearly broke 7 hours and he took 5th overall. It gives me a good appreciation for just how fit those guys on the field are. I'm still convinced I could run Landin into the ground though!

Also, Wade finished his race and then hung around for an hour and a half to wait for me to get back to the turnaround point so he could cheer me on. That meant a lot to me.

5. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  6. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +rep to the Capt.

Also, HJ, you should know that while your VFFs initially shocked and disgusted me, they provided an early spark in what was to become an ongoing minimalist adventure. So +rep to HJ too.

7. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Just got back from Austin. Ran my first Half Marathon in 2:13:49. It was the most demanding thing I have ever done, but it was well worth the blood, sweat, and tears. Had a cancer scare this past summer, grandmother went in hospice in January, and a failed engagement to a girl who lives in Austin last November (my way of saying screw you). I left it all in Austin.

Props to all runners.

8. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Great run on a hot day at a tough course! Austin's on my bucket list.

Speaking of bucket lists, I just discovered the Portland Marathon is four days before the Dynamo game up there. I just signed up with a custom race bib that says DYNAMO! and I'll be representing the colors of course. I hope I get some good-natured trash talk going at the race.

Hey Zolafan, are you traveling to Portland for the game? I've heard their marathon is first-class.

9. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys ARE insane.

Respect.

10. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HungryJack has got me totally pumped for the second week of October in Portland.

So pumped, that I've already got my tickets.

So pumped, that I'll be sitting at the finish line toasting him with a local brew as he approaches.:D

11. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Insanity is back this weekend folks. Your very own Wade Barrett will run the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile race this Saturday at Huntsville State Park. His bib # is 97 and you can follow him here: http://www.ultralive.net/rr100/webcast.php

BTW, Hungryjack, bib #61, will also be running the 100 miler.

I will be volunteering at Nature Center aid station and cheering runners as they come through.

Wade and Devin, see ya'll this weekend and hope you have a fantastic run!

1 person likes this.
  12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    uhh . . well . . . I will drink a beer for each of them.

13. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're freaking amazing. Congrats and I hope it all goes as planned if not better!

14. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    you guys know Pheidippides died after running from Marathon right?

15. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    Nice! How did I miss this thread last year. I'm an avid runner/marathoner as well. I stick to my 13.1 & 26.2 though. Much props to whomever is doing the 50+ and 100+ milers :eek:

16. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm alive. Devin's alive. Wade's alive. Zola's alive. Cesar is alive. :p

17. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    ....;)

18. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can't even drive that far...

19. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple wks ago was my 10th Houston Marathon (11th in total, ran NYC years ago), very happy about that milestone. Represented with one of my Dynamo hats. Took along my camera for the first time during a race...

With Dynamo ticket rep Brian Kozel, who was out cheering the runners in the Heights...

[​IMG]

Got a couple celebrity shots during the race too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    should have added, good luck Hungryjack and Wade!

21. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Ronald McDonald is getting fatter lol. What happened to the healthy menu???

22. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    I did not expect to see this here.

I ran the 100 mile race last February but I had to drop out after 76 miles and about 18 hours because of stomach issues due to poor race nutrition planning and execution. It sucked because I know my legs had another 24 miles in them. I have run the 50 mile race twice, finishing in 11:06 and 9:50. Last year Wade ran the 50 in a little over 7 hours a week after getting cortisone shots in both knees. Yeah, he's a different level of athlete :)

So this year I have been working with a race nutritionist to help me figure out the kinds of food that I enjoy and sit well in my stomach during the race. I think i have a pretty good handle on it and barring unforeseen events (what unexpected events could possibly happen while running 100 miles?) I should be able to finish this time. My goal is just to cross the finish line and the race allows 30 hours to do so, but my ambitious goal is to complete the race in under 24 hours.

Consequently, it's estimated that you burn about 100 calories per mile on average in a long distance race, so if I can finish in a day, I can say I have burned 10,000 calories during the race plus the 2000 or so calories my body burns in a day even at rest. That's Michael Phelps territory. People estimate it takes about 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat, so I suppose this is my 24 hour weight loss plan and I'm aiming to drop about 3.5 pounds. 12,000 calories burned the day before Super Bowl Sunday means I get to eat whatever the hell I want during the game.

In order to do this, I will need to maintain an average pace of 14 minutes and 24 seconds per mile. Those of you who are runners know that's a really slow pace. In fact, it's too slow for me to run and it's too fast for me to walk. I will probably try to run about 12:00 pace and walk all the hills. Yes, most people walk as part of their race strategy. The winners don't though. The guy who won it last year ran 100 miles in a little under 13 hours. That was one of the fastest 100 mile trail races ever run by anyone.

I regret the fact that I have not been able to talk much with Wade about his training and how things are coming around for him. As far as I know, he is still planning to run the 100, but I guess I'll know if I see him at the start line on Saturday morning. My rough guess is that he will finish in about 17-19 hours if he can maintain the pace I expect him to.

Thanks for all the well wishes and we will see how I do. I really think that 2012 is the year for me, but if you track me online you will see how well I hold up and how well I can maintain that 14:24 pace. I plan to cross the finish line in my Dynamo jersey of course!

One last thing. I'm not the type to shake people down for donations, but I am running this raise as a charity fundraiser for Team COCI, which is Cherish Our Children International. This organization finances programs around the world to help the most vulnerable children in some pretty awful situations who need help the most. One of the many programs is a youth soccer program in Israel for Jewish and Palestinian children to learn to play and live with each other in peace. If you are curious about Team COCI or if you'd like to give a few dollars for a worthy cause, I can assure you the money will be well spent. Check it out at https://my.reason2race.com/DevinBrown

23. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wow HungryJack!

Good luck on the race!

24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    OK Wade and Hungryjack.

you ran 50+ miles, we didn't. your 'huevos' are bigger than ours. no need to run INSANITY and lose any more toenails.

ps - good luck.

25. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck and respect to all doing this nutty crap. I could never run for long unless I was chasing something -- or something was chasing me.