Infants at Games

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Ch(Elsey), Apr 1, 2014.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    squeaky[1].jpg ...and I used to have my own live Crew Cat, so I'm biased....

henryo, puttputtfc and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  2. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Not normally, but when he marks the opposition dugout he has a weird look on his face. Is he neutered?

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like he and my younger brother would get along well, considering Garyn has had a few of those ... incidents in the section, as well. Oh and he likes to drink, too. So much so that he is the reason I have ever left a Crew match early. Paging Crew Union people from circa 07/08. You know what I am talking about.

4. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    So, you're saying Mookie intended to swing?

[Super-old callback which you may or may not remember...]

Bill Archer repped this.
  5. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never seen this side of Garyn. Fascinating.

My dad was never a soccer fan, but I wouldn't be the Crew fan I am today without him taking me to 4-5 games a year, including most of the milestone games during those first half a dozen years. I didn't appreciate it fully till I started taking my own son to games. His selflessness will have spurred two generations of fans.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Reminded the young un tonight that we are going to the game on Saturday.

He went off to find his Pipa has a posse t-shirt so I could wash it in time. Good lad.

7. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I remember the one time I brought my dad to a game. My wife had connections through her job that got us into a swanky fundraiser event for bigwigs only. There was an all-game buffet in the 2nd terrace conference rooms in the SW corner over looking the field and open bar on the outside terrace with seating adjacent. It was a comfortable summer day with a gentle cooling breeze. And oh, how dad bitched and moaned the whole time about the boring sawker game and couldn't get past a single one of the denigrating stereo-types of soccer created and perpetuated by knuckle-dragging troglodytes that he kept trotting out to the delight of everyone around long enough to actually pay attention to one god damn thing on the field.

Ah. Memories.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. You just reminded me of a memory that I have not thought of in a long time. My older brother, Casey, and I drove out to see a Crew-Metrostars game at the end of the 2004 season. To preface, Casey likes soccer. He just never got A) my fascination with MLS and B) my passion as a supporter. So picture the two of us in the stands. I have been told that I am not a wallflower at games... Well at one point Casey told me that if I did not take it down a few notches that he would move to another seat.

My memory fails me. I honestly cannot remember if he did move. He probably did.

ZipSix repped this.
  9. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute! ... you do that sober?!?!

10. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    two point (BTW, I'm an engineer, not a good storyteller):

1: I confirm what most people have said about bringing infants/toddlers. Never brought a stroller, just used a carrier. Never had any problems with the diaper bag (formula, water, milk, kiddie snack). Second the blanket thing. I tend to not think of things like that.

2: My memory is USA vs. Mexico part I. I went with my father (who was my coach growing up, so us and soccer isn't anything new). We went with the group a large group of referees and friends (of my dads, not mine). It was my senior year of college and remember tailgating in the bitter cold before hand. That was the first (and probably only time) I had drinks with my dad (outside of a glass of wine at dinners), and I remember drinking bourbon out of the back of someone's trunk. Apparently there was a good chance I met Bill Archer, though I didn't know who he was (let alone that he was so infamous and dastardly) at the time, as it was with Kinsley's group.

11. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

another train Driver....:D

12. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, pretty much. Tough with college hoops, too, though I took my oldest twice this season. Much easier when they just sleep in your arms the entire game.

13. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epic #TBT

0526_usa_ven_wej_27.jpg

207344_503337232852_2326_n.jpg

henryo and ZipSix repped this.
  14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have been throwing back all week.

15. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Crew14 (Huff) last seen 5 years ago on BS
    @TownKrier (Geeg) last seen a year ago on BS

17. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm in there too, but too many rows up to ID.

18. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    "Now go over there and kick the nice man in the middle area...don't worry...it's a science experiment."

What I have to look forward to this year.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see me but that little head behind the U in USA is @beast01 and I'm beside him and hidden. I think that the DTOM flag is also beasts.

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you again for all the suggestions. Some items I probably would not have thought of without this thread.

[​IMG]

This little guy appears to be ready to tailgate. We will see how tomorrow goes. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. If you happen to spot this little guy, be sure to say hello. He sure loves other kids.

henryo, Draghignazzo, puttputtfc and 2 others repped this.
  21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    #71 fidlerre, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    First soccer game my father ever attended, he was annoyed as hell that he had to go with me to that original game. It was him and my youngest brother - to this day he talks about it being the greatest game he's ever attended. Memories...

I've brought our daughter to games since she was 4 weeks old - she turns four this summer - we've never had a problem bringing anything in and unlike others we always being a stroller because we just stand along the fence in the SW/SE corners and lets the kids roam, stand and eventually eat/fall asleep in the stroller. Now were just on repeat with our 11-month old son...

upload_2014-4-4_9-8-16.jpeg upload_2014-4-4_9-8-44.jpeg

At 9-months old you still have a stationary kid so enjoy actually watching the game. Once they started walking it's all over, they just want to walk around the terraces, go get a hot dog or dip'n'dots or whatever other item that will fleece you of all your hard earned cash from Sodexho. We've had it pretty lucky, our daughter loves soccer and hockey so she'll actually watch the games...

Oh, and I'll 4th/5th/6th the idea that you can NEVER have enough blankets or clothes for the kids. The stadium is always at least 10 degrees colder than what the air temperature tells you so come prepared to keep them bundled. The U90 Club is a great place to take a break, alas it seems to be more crowded with HSH folks these days...

henryo, CrewV Man, kgilbert78 and 2 others repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whelp the inevitable happened.

After his fancy vacation in Paris, our lovely moderator fiddy decided to post photos of his gorgeous kids (a perfect pair - a girl and a boy) in this thread. I am surprised he did not show off one of his super cute family photos. I do not know how one guy got so lucky. He must have sold something to the devil. Or god. If either exist.

HardHatMike repped this.
  23. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only ready to tailgate if that's o'Douls in the sippy-cup...

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there an N/A version of Crew-Ade?

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that sounds like a job for grandpa or grandma.

Do not repeat these words to my husband. Yesterday Tim came home with a 24 pack because it was band practice last night. He was putting the cans in the fridge when he handed an unopened can to Markus (our son) which of course Markus was pumped because he was given something new and cold.

"Let's get a picture of him."

"No."

HardHatMike repped this.