Indoor pickup soccer in DC/NOVA?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Don't Tread on Me, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Completely agree. One guy guy pushed my GF from behind during a game becaues he was getting frustrated with her defense. She fell face first and I almost beat the living 'S' out of him.... only thing stopping me were my teammates.

I NEVER have put my hands on a woman to retaliate(sp) after some minor hacking. I may have brought it up to them telling them to chill out, but I try to go to the refs, or call them out in front of their own team and my own.

If it's a guy though, eye for an eye. ;)

2. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah there was a couple on one of my teams (both really fantastic people, the girl is one of the most humble, quiet, kindest people I know-- we set them up and went to their wedding), and she clipped (I mean just a light swing at the ball) at a guys heels while he was shielding, it was called, he flipped out, spun around yelling in her face and pushing her back and her future husband and most of our team jumped the boards.

Totally uncalled for.

I have chewed people out and given them something to think about just out of self preservation, but never taken it further. It's rec people. As long as we can all go back to work or school the next day, get over it.

Speaking of that, I remember an older guy on another team several years ago that broke his leg on a play, went out in the ambulance and ended up dying in the hospital because of some quasi-related issue. Crazy.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  3. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Jesus... what a freak accident! :(

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im sorry. I dont hack or hurt girls, but I definitely do not give them a pass if they are on the field with other men.

I dont slide tackle women, but I body them a lot. I give slight shoulder pulls.

Soccer is a game where you have to eat or be eaten. If I back out of a 50/50, Ill probably be the one hurt.

5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I will go in shoulder to shoulder, use some muscle.... but I will NEVER hack them... I will keep it clean on tackles..where I may go a little more 'agressive' on men.

6. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I've played all kinds of rules though. Sometimes you can't slide tackle them, sometimes a guy can't challenge them at all (lame), goals count two points, guys can't block their shots-- you name it.

I prefer the simpler no slide tackle and a minimum number of females on the field. I prefer it mainly because I've found that not being able to slide tackle girls usually keeps the guys from hacking you to death, and most players aren't good enough to execute a good slide tackle without destroying your knee, so no thanks.

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Agreed. Thats fine.

Also, I find that some of the girls I play with [especially futsal] are so good, you couldnt hack them if you wanted to.

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Fascinating! Never played in a coed league with ANY of those. I've just played in ones that have less women, but fair game.

9. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you ever actually go to SNF? I live nearby there, thinking about dropping in.

10. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did. the pickup was on a hard court and it was a group of kids who came together and were not interested in having a seventh wheel as it were. they also have a proper indoor field but it was league play and nobody needed an extra so I didn't get to play.

I need to get on a team :/

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey,

Are you either/both of you guys 30 or up? I run one of the Over-30 teams @ SNF, and while we're full up this session, we always have turnover.

Also, there's a new place opening up (a new business taking over an old facility, actually). They're trying to get new leagues set up--their website is REALLY bare bones and unless you're already in the loop you probably wouldn't have heard about the place.

If you are over-30, me and a friend are trying to put together a team for Thursday nights--get back to me and I'll add you to our roster. If you're younger, you should contact them directly and look for a Men's Open or Co-ed team:

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e6smp7euc862bd8e&llr=8iyau9bab

Let me know if you need anything else--I sorta know the people who own/run this new facility.

12. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 31 and I'm interested but my schedule is always stupid which is why I have been reluctant to join a league. I don't expect I'd be able to come with too much regularity but I really would love the chance to play again, it's been awhile. That's why I've been trying to search out pick up games - I've found a few that I usually hit up when the weather is better but nothing indoor or for over the winter.

13. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Anyone play at Rockville Sportplex?

14. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United