Indiana Hoosiers 2012

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by BigRedFootie, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonderful time to be a Hoosier. Congratulations to the team and coaches. I am very happy for Coach Todd Yeagley.

2. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009

and little bro won tix for next year in Philly too! Let's do a double!

3. rct2009

rct2009 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    NY/Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HOO-HOO-HOO!!

4. mdc00

mdc00 Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one of the really cool things about this title is that it showcases the extent to which youth soccer in Indiana is producing fine young players. Yes, this is IU's 8th title. But in the past, it always seemed like the title-winning teams were primarily composed of players from elsewhere (especially St. Louis!). I played HS soccer in Indiana in the late 70s (badly), shortly before IU started winning national championships, and relying on teams primarily composed of Indiana players wouldn't have gotten Yeagley the elder very far. (The sport wasn't even officially recognized by the Indiana HS Athletic Association when I played!) Today's game featured seven starters from Indiana. Indiana youth soccer has come a long way!

soccersubjectively and Hararea repped this.
  5. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    IU - 7 starters from Indiana
    Maryland - 1 starter (Raley) from Maryland
    Creighton - 0 starters from Nebraska, 1 starter (Hines-Ike, Denver) from a bordering state
    Georgetown - 0 starters from DC, starters from a total of 10 different states

A few weeks ago, I was questioning the Hoosiers for not looking more out of state, but I have take it back. What's even more remarkable is that the Indiana talent doesn't stop with the IU kids. Kitchen is already in MLS, Mares is a star for Louisville, and I'm sure we could list a few others, as well. If only there was a magic formula to sustain the wave of talent.

In some cases, this was actually a good thing, since unrecognized HS teams were able to play as much as they liked, including fall, spring, and indoor, and they had fewer restrictions on kids splitting time with club. I don't think IHSAA sanctioning arrived until the mid-90s.

6. Not Vago

Not Vago Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what do Kitchen, Mares, Petts, Corrado, Doody, and Bushue all have in common? They played together on a Chicago Magic team, although Petts usually played up a year. There are another half dozen or so players from that team that are doing well at the D1 level. Magic formula is find good players and give them good training as young players

7. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    You're taking credit for those boys? Doody as a Fire Jr. product when recruited; Petts, Mares and Corrado were with the Indiana United DA team for the past few years prior to IU; and Kitchen was in residency. But they were studs back in the u-14 days for you.

8. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Congratulations Indiana.

9. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    So proud to be a Hoosier!

10. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
  11. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you guys are going to love this tommy thompson kid you are getting from the Quakes academy for fall 2013... check him out for the quakes reserves vs. antigua barricuda last night:

13:20 - receives ball, passes, makes a long run into box and brilliant assist to set up adam jahn for the goal

20:38 - similar long run into the box, receives ball, almost sets up jahn again

helped create stewart's goal near the end

Sandon Mibut and stphnsn repped this.
  12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  13. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States