Indiana Hoosiers 2012

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by BigRedFootie, Jul 29, 2012.

1. padgman1

padgman1 Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

As usual, Sandon's history lesson clarifies the point.......would love to know if the current IU staff even has East Coast or West Coast contacts...especially since a few years ago, big mention was made of the fact that IU seemed to be a draw for some teens ( in general, not necessarily athletic) from the East Coast.......

Todd's only unfair task is trying to live up to the reputation of his father, who took IU from a club sport team in 1973 to a NCAA regional final in 1974 and a final in '76 in his first four years.........

2. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    What makes it unfair ??

In any sport or even most any human endeavor those taking over successful organizations do so accepting the challenge to at least maintain a level of proficiency if not to improve upon it.

It's not like anyone gets tapped on the shoulder after putting ink to paper in these situations and gets told.....by the way here is how things have been in the past and we expect you keep this house in order.

People accepting these positions accept these expectations. Its part of why they even want these positions.

24Seven repped this.
  3. padgman1

padgman1 Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I would think it would be very difficult as a son to try to "compete" with the storied accomplishments of a father the likes of Jerry Yeagley......especially at the same university. That doesn't mean the son does things the same way as his father......times and overall tactics change......and it doesn't mean he cannot desire to achieve a measure of success.......still, there's external pressure to maintain a high level of success ( students, alumni, athletic admin, etc) and who knows what internal pressure there is.........

Bottom line, Todd Yeagley has not accomplished much in his 3 years at IU...compared to the past/ recent past. Does this warrant a change? Not yet. If IU stopped making the NCAA tourney, THEN there would be a reason to change.

24Seven repped this.
  4. Soccer Joe

Soccer Joe Member

Sep 23, 2012
    According to the AD just making the NCAA tournament is not enough. We MF was dismissed I believe the AD said they are about winning championships or at least getting to he college cup. Sorry I don't remember the exact quote. But when MF was let go the standard was set, college cups and championships.

5. padgman1

padgman1 Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Would not doubt that Fred Glass may have said this, but I cannot find this in any Internet account of Freitag's dismissal (cannot access the local paper's full account). Freitag himself in a statement given a few days later does mention that the goal of IU's program is to win championships and graduate players..........

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/freitag_statement.pdf

Anyhow, by these "criteria", Freitag had 5 years after his 2004 championship to get back and did not ( see previous post by me about 2008)........this at least gave administration some plausible credence to let him go ( Paul Harvey is not around for "the rest of the story," as you have intimated before). This is Young Yeagley's third year..........not over with yet..........the rest of the story here has yet to be written..........

BTW, any news about Mike Freitag recently????

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

7. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prall was a local boy from Bloomington South.

8. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    padgman1 repped this.
  9. McSoccerdad

McSoccerdad Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Hararea repped this.
  10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    and we snuck into a seed by the skin of our teeth. match is sunday at 1 versus xavier or kentucky.

11. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Wow - I'm amazed. I wouldn't have given us a seed.

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    me either on current form. if this team was not named indiana, we'd be playing thursday i think.

13. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana
    McKain and Lax versus high school teammate Kaplan of XU ... all great kids!

14. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    But someone had to lose. New lineup - Bushue up top (to protect the knee a little), Lax playing the D-Mid role. We strike early, then become complacent and XU scores. No doubt some harsh things were spoken at half time and we scored three in the second. Kotlov w/ the Hat Trick. On to ND!!

BRF

markb57 repped this.
  15. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Great result for the Hoosiers, congratulations! Hope you guys post highlights.

16. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Great win for the Hoosiers. I'm really tickled that a relatively unheralded player like Lax can work his way into the starting 11.

Dunno why Kaplan didn't get more minutes for X. He has gotten a lot of time in the last two seasons. In the few minutes he was in he sent one of X's most dangerous balls forward - nearly got a score.

On the subject of less playing time, what has happened to Andrew Oliver. Injury? This was my first game this year, but I thought he had been playing a lot.....

On to ND - we know we can score - let's do it in South Bend!

markb

17. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i was worried when we took our foot off the gas after that first goal. then they scored to tie, and i got really worried. i don't know what coach said at half time, but it worked. i was really happy to see kotlov play so well. if we're going to beat ND, we need him to be on his game.

he's played less than i thought he would given the hype he had coming in. when he's been in at the games i've been to, yeagley has been on his ass all the time about his positioning and work rate. he's seemed to be a step slow and 20 lb. too light for this level of competition, and he played really tentatively. i looked for him on the bench yesterday, but i see him.

18. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    ND game time is 3pm ET.

19. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana
    I was very encouraged to see Yeagley in the middle of the post-game razzle with the kids. Suggests there is a real connection there! Bodes well for the long-term ...

re. Oliver - how many kids do we screw up by fawning over them prematurely, when their greatest gift might have mostly been precocity? I blame the adults involved, and hope the kid recovers to fulfill his potential ...

20. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    If you saw Oliver in the Academy the year leading up to IU, you would be blaming Oliver. He was pretty lazy and uninterested wearing the Fire jersey. Meanwhile the kid starting for NW was on that same Fire team and look how his efforts payed off.

21. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got sent home from residency for a reason...Tough to acknowledge ones own faults....I like him as a player....I hope he bounces back....

22. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Why do we (they) find out about things like this *after* we sign players?

23. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    perhaps they hoped he would mature once he got on campus? lol.

24. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    IU 2, ND 1. Golden goal in 2nd OT by Zav off a flick from Kotlov. Hard game, lots of contention, great IU fan turnout. Unfortunately, UNC wins so IU goes back to Raleigh again.

We move past the #1 seed and into the elite eight.

BRF

25. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    that was the craziest iu game i've been at. i thought we were going to penalties with our lack of attack and nd's inability to hit the broad side of a barn.

also, it was really disappointing to see nd's biggest players act like such douches yet again. powers plays like a thug and should have been sent off. finley is just a whiny bitch. if he focused on playing instead of whining constantly, he'd have even more impressive numbers i think.

soccersubjectively and BigRedFootie repped this.