Indiana Hoosiers 2012

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by BigRedFootie, Jul 29, 2012.

1. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yeah, gotta start a new one! Lots of lip-smacking games for a Hoosier fan to go see. Don't miss the
    IU vs Chivas de Guadalajara U-23 game on Fox Soccer Channel, broadcast from Ft. Wayne!

2. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    thanks for starting the thread. here's a link to our schedule this season: http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/m-soccer/sched/ind-m-soccer-sched.html

i'm not going to make it to ft. wayne for the chivas match, but i will be at nd for the akron game. i haven't decided which games i'll get down to bloomington to see... depends how little brother's high school season is going, but i hope to make it down for at least a couple.

3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a place for highlights? I can't seem to find one =/

4. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Dude - the game hasn't been played yet. They haven't even onto campus for training.

5. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no I meant just in general. Like a YouTube channel. Yeah sorry about that confusion.

6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  7. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2011 vid was pretty cheesy but some impressive run of play

Here's the coach on the incoming players, kinda a weird shot by the camera:

8. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Bet it's his webcam. Remember, non-revenue sport...

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    a lot of his after match recap videos are shot at the same angle. maybe the cameraman is short.

10. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Small laptop... :cool:

11. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    And it begins. IU hosts UIC, headed by coach Sean Phillips, at Armstrong for an exhibition game on Tuesday. And it's free!! What a great country.

BRF

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    B97 just had an interview with coach. He sounds excited for the UIC match tonight but even more so for the chivas game on saturday.

i think tonight's game will be webcast on iuhoosiers.com. match starts at 7:30.

13. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i was able to listen to the last 30 minutes of the webcast tonight, albeit not very closely. uic scored on us first. it sounded like a pretty sloppy play, but i wasn't giving it my undivided attention. then we came back and scored. someone from the midfield played a ball through to our striker (sparks?) who went 1 v 1 with the keeper and finished coolly. after we scored to level, we were dictating play and would have scored again if we'd had more time.

14. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    It was a true exhibition - 3 thirty minute periods. The first was pretty uneventful, but Zavaletta did have a couple of good chances. Second period was pretty uneventful. In the third, Dylan Lax slotted a nice pass to Sparks and he put it past the keeper. Seems anytime Sparks is in, things happen - mostly good.

Remember, some players literally showed up on campus w/in the last two days, so things are bound to be sloppy. One thing to worry about a little - right now our back line (starters were Doody, Konstanski, Bradford, & McCain - Doody is tallest at 6'0") is rather small. Of course, Zav can come back on set pieces. Soffner played well while he was in.

BRF

15. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    BRF, there was some talk in another thread about zavaleta switching to center back since meyer graduated. i know he played there some in the spring. do you have any thoughts on that happening?

16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yeah, Zav's gonna stay up top. We just don't have enough firepower in order to allow him to play in the back. Of course, he will come back to help on set pieces.

17. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Defenders sound alot like those of Akron.

18. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Any idea about internet coverage of the Akron game on Sept 7 at Notre Dame?

19. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    Just noticed tv game this weekend. Go Hoosiers!!!!
    Looks like a good chance for a good year. I noticed only three of IUs opponents are ranked in top 25. Looked back to Coach Freitag's last year, 2009, 10 of 18 opponents had been in tournament and 9 ranked in the top 25 preseason. You see what that got him!!

20. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How'd Andrew Oliver look? I thought I saw he started...?

21. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Oliver looked okay to me. His move seems to be cutting back from the right side and shooting on the edge of the area. He does have a nice shot. Just hope he has other stuff.

What about Caleb Constanski?? He was dangerous all night long offensively and came through every time he was called on defensively. Very impressive senior performance.

Speaking of senior performances, Soffner had one too. W/ the exception of the service outside his left post in the 2nd half (where he didn't come up w/ the ball), he was solid. Of course, he was outstanding in the PKs, winning the game w/ a couple of impressive saves. I hope this gives him a big boost of confidence going into the regular season!

22. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Two wins (SLU & UC) to open up the 2012 season. We'll take 'em! Zav a force up front and Caleb coming through again. On to the Classic.

BRF

23. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    brf, were you in st. louis for the matches? sounds like we played a lot better today than we did friday?

24. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Nope, couldn't get to SLU for these. I'd say it was a combo of better play on our part combined w/ a weaker opposing side. Plus, maybe the many parts of the puzzle are starting to come together. Depth is a nice thing to have.

BRF

25. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    the classic is this weekend. iu play clemson tonight and san diego state sunday. games will be available streaming on iuhoosiers.com.