Indiana Hoosiers 2011

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by foosball, Jul 8, 2011.

1. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    My bets on who we play in 1st round are:

#31 NIU
    or
    #27 Bradley

Outside chance: #21 Akron :-(

BRF

2. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    brf, any chance we get a seed? i thought sandon made a good case for us in the bracketology thread.

3. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    He must have and I was wrong. Somehow we squeeze in w/ a 16 seed and a first round bye. I sure didn't think that'd happen. Little comfort, tho, since our second game will be the winner of UNC & Elon/CCar.

BRF

4. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i'll be down for the game sunday hopefully. respecting unc, gotta beat the best to be the best.

5. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll be there Sunday! Come on, Hoosiers.

6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    it was odu over liberty in pks. just what i wanted to see, two full periods of overtime. i'm getting excited for sunday.

7. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    The hoosiers looked great!!! Kotlov almost had hattrick, congrats to Wiley on his first hoosier goal. Also Bradford seems to play a very effective smooth game without much acclaim but is a big key to the midfield.
    The backline is playing very well at the right time. Hopefully UNC advances so the Hoosiers can knock off #1.

8. CollegeFan

CollegeFan Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Kotlov has been unreal the last 4 weeks or so. Dangerous on offense and doing work on defense. He just seems to be in a zone right now with 8 of his 9 goals coming in the last 9 games.

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    their one mistake almost cost a goal though. idk what tommy was thinking there.

i was surprised how well we were able to play in that sloppy mess out there today. it was good to see our guys keep their heads when their assholes started being bitches too. i'm glad the match ended without any serious injuries once they started hacking our guys down.

10. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Does anyone know of any way to watch this, short of a trip to Chapel Hell?

Go Big Red!

TIA,
    markb

11. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  12. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    AFAIK, our best alternatives right now are Mike Glascott on internet radio and/or Gamecrapper.

BRF

13. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest flooding UNC's twitter account with pleads for a stream today. At the very least, "reminding" them how embarrassed they should be for not providing one... especially as the #1 seed. Unacceptable.

https://twitter.com/#!/UNCmenssoccer

14. CollegeFan

CollegeFan Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Indiana tried to offer to stream the game for them...send down equipment and set it up. But no one at UNC ever returned their calls. Sad.

1 person likes this.
  15. Focker

Focker Member

Oct 29, 2010
    UNC fan here.

IU midfield played very well. Strong and very quick. Your defense did a great job containing our three forwards. Though they did have a breakdown on Billy goal. IU started off the game very well. They scored in the 2nd half off a scrum but the ref called them offside. Couldnt tell if it was the correct call or not. It was a good battle. I thought both teams could of played a lot better.

Good luck next year.

1 person likes this.
  16. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    IU was the better team in the 1st half. They took it right to UNC. They dominated the heels three midfield to IU four. UNC looked very flat and like they ate to much turkey over the holidays. UNC took over 2nd half after some adjustments. IU needed to score in the 1st half. UNC defenders blocked some good looks from IU. IU coach was right they were the agressor for the 1st half. They werent in the 2nd half though.

Very impressed by Indiana midfield as well.

17. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Thanks. No reason to hang our heads. We didn't go as far as we wished, but it was still a good year.

BRF

18. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i thought it was a good year by a YOUNG team. we lose 2 seniors in the back line and purdie in the attack. next year should be even better.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Don't be surprised if Zavaleta leaves this winter.

20. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    Always a possibility when you have talented players. Although, not sure if mls will be an option. He can't be signed as a home grown player by anyone, and if Soony Saad didn't get a gen adidas offer after his freshman year, I don't think Zavaleta gets one.

Even if he were to leave, plenty of young players in place to keep the program moving upwards.

21. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    Zavaleta was with Columbus Crew Academy at some point. Also, he is family of Greg Vanney and spent time with Greg at both RSL and Chivas (where Vanney is now an Asst). I'm thinking if he wants to go pro this Spring, he has the right MLS connections through IU and Vanney, whether those clubs can/want to HomeGrown him or not.

http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/zavaleta_eriq00.html

Also, a very young Big Ten this season that saw IU finish 4th... With very little talent leaving the league this year and the cream of it departing Bloomington (Meyer, Purdie, Estridge), I don't know that IU will be projected to win the league. They always are the favorite, BUT are losing a lot more talent than the other contending Big Ten teams.

Should be interesting to see how the Big Ten stacks up next year!

22. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    Wow, this site is kind of dead. Is there somewhere else people are going?

Congrats to 3 IU MLS draftees, Meyer,Estridge, and Purdie!!!

Anyone who is being recruited and potential signees?

23. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Eh, it's typically dead this time of year. It will pick back up with the spring season. :)

24. CodyJarrett

CodyJarrett Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Learned two things via twitter this morning. If either is/both are well known, I apologize for the redundancy.

First, IU will announce it's class on Feb 7.

Second, two CA brothers make verbals for 2013.

Cheers-

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001