Indiana Hoosiers 2011

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by foosball, Jul 8, 2011.

1. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think you're right. It doesn't provide much in terms of long-term coaching -- I think the better position would be U-21 coach. By the time they're 22 or 23, you'd hope they'd be progressing to the senior team.

2. CollegeFan

CollegeFan Member

Nov 10, 2009
    No, but it gets your foot in the door with the USMNT in a more visible position...especially if you can medal.

U-20s would require him to leave Akron and it seems he doesn't want to do that just yet. Now he can have the best of both worlds.

3. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely helps the resume when it comes to moving to the pro ranks.

4. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Just hope he can qualify and then do well in the Olympics. Something get going with any of our national teams.

5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    the hoosiers blew a 2-0 lead to michigan state today. the game finished 2-2 after double ot.

6. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Horrible performance. We blew them away in the first half and the first 10 of the second and then we went to sleep. Apathetic play and poor overall defense resulted in MSU's first goal. A combination of that and a very poor decision by our keeper to go off his line and get to an airborne ball second resulted in the second goal.

We started playing hard again after MSU's second goal, but they were revitalized and played us hard through both OTs.

Shades of Louisville. We're now further behind in the Big10.

BRF

7. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't you mean the B1G?

:eek:

8. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    :D Perhaps for soccer it'd be the B7...

9. I Love the game

Jun 20, 2005
    Right on the money with that BRF! I know it is another topic all together but that gets under my skin about Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois and Iowa not fielding Mens teams. What a joke! They have loser Athletic Depts.. There is no excuse for it.
    Ok I'm good now.

10. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Don't forget Nebraska! ;)

I'd hate to have to drive out there for that one.

BRF

11. I Love the game

Jun 20, 2005
    Man, that's right.

12. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    <Sigh> With another B1G draw, we are out of the race for conference championship and mired in the middle of mediocrity (!). We just can't keep goals out of our net.

In years past, we've worried that, even tho we had a great defense and GA average, we couldn't score. Now those problems have basically reversed themselves.

One of our persisting problems is our poor performance in the air.

On to hopefully play spoiler against OSU.

BRF

13. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i am contemplating making the trip down to bloomington for the match saturday. i'll have to see what the weather's supposed to be like.

the big ten tournament is going to be interesting. from what i have seen, i don't know that there is a favorite to win it. obviously, our rpi makes us the favorite, but who knows with the way we've been playing.

i'm also looking forward to seeing which big ten teams get in the tournament this year. we're in, but northwestern, wisconsin, and ohio state have rpis of 37, 40, and 46, respectively. depending on who wins the B10 tournament and how the rest of the conference tournaments play out, could we see all 4 of these teams make it?

14. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squeeked by OSU. Game report from someone who was in attendance?

15. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    B*tch in a loss, b*tch in a tie, b*tch about a win. Nice fan support.

Congrats on the 11-3-4 regular season record, and the current 7 match unbeaten streak.

16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    We didn't squeak by. We played them tough, got lots of solid opportunities, and put one in w/ about 15sec to go in the first half.

This is a big, strong OSU team w/ guys playing who looked like they were 30. We took everything they could dish out and stuck it to them.

I thought Sofner had a very good game. He made some solid saves and exercised overall good judgment.

Kotlov tries to do too much at times, but he's always in there wreaking havoc w/ the defense. He scored a solid goal today. I saw shy Corrado is getting more and more time - he is capable of creating chances and looked dangerous. Estridge and McCain were monsters on the corners, getting forward with good results time and again. Purdie always playing his heart out.

The seniors - I'll miss 'em. It was a beautiful Seniors day and the team brought home a solid win for their parents and their school. We now play MSU (fresh from their upset of Akron!) at 1pm on Wednesday in the B1G tourney in Ann Arbor.

BRF

17. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Watching the replay on BTN, I am struck by how hard Kotlov worked at both ends. At one point in the middle of the second half, he hit a very dangerous shot from near the goal line which had to be parried by the OSU keeper. OSU mounted a quick counter and Kotlov was one of the first players back inside his area in order to defend. That's a long run. Quality.

BRF

18. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    kotlov is really growing on me too. he turned the oaf osu defenders inside out a couple of times and got big cheers from the crowd.

i was glad i made the trip down. it was a great day for soccer.

i was disappointed to hear some of the crap coming from the hoosier army though. you suck, asshole on goal kicks is played out and juvenile. some of the abuse directed at osu players was pretty bad too.

19. bcboy

bcboy Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I noticed that Petts hasn't gotten much playing time recently. Is he hurt or is Corrado getting more minutes based on his good play?

20. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    from what i've seen, he's been playing as much as usual, maybe a little less. it seems like corrado has been playing better, and kotlov has gotten back on track so petts doesn't have to play quite as much lately.

can we get a report from the mstate game? it was a 2-1 victory for the hoosiers. we play northwestern friday.

21. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hit a nerve, CWO. I meant statistically (scoring/finishing) speakinig. I was not speaking of the chances created, work rate, etc. I will certainly clarify in the future. I was not b*tching. I wasn't at the game and was wondering if anyone could report on what happened.
    If you care to do so, look back through my posts and I believe you'll find that I don't b*tch about IU soccer.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Other than that 3-game slide in the middle of the season, the Hoosiers have quietly had a very god year with a pair of 8-game unbeaten streaks, including the one they're on now.

23. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Thing is, those ties don't help us much. They certainly didn't help us w/ B1G seeding. However, I'm up for a run!

Hopefully, Zavaleta, Kotlov & Purdie can keep their chemistry going.

See you in Ann Arbor,

BRF

24. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    hoosiers lose in pks to northwestern. that's a bummer. i was considering the trip to ann arbor sunday.

25. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Well, it was a nasty day. I can't say NU didn't deserve it. They put some tremendous pressure on us early and late and we didn't finish several of our very good chances. Our goal was very nice and Zav showed once again while he's in the lineup. NU's goal was pretty much deserved. Altho IUHoosiers says the goal resulted from a bad clearance, the clearance was Meyer clearing the ball from close to the line after intense pressure and a good shot.

As far as the PKs go, I don't wanna write (or think) about it.

BRF