Indiana Hoosiers 2011

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by foosball, Jul 8, 2011.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i was talking mostly about our attacking corners and fks. i don't remember feeling too worried defensively on set pieces other than ND's big center back (mouton or something?).

2. MikeR

MikeR Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't recall being that concerned against ND either. Probably not a big deal, just a bad day at the office vs. Bucknell.

3. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outshot by a wide margin tonight, as StJ seemed to be the aggressor. Wonder if IU played a lower line of defense for some reason. Good result on the road, I guess. Would say StJ sat-in to secure this result in 2OT, but the 17 shots tell a different tale.
    Tough to tell much via GameTracker.

Still unbeaten!

4. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Postgame video from Coach Yeagley fills in some gaps . . . pleased in particular with last 15 of regulation and both OT periods. "Save - Soffner, Luis" on GT meant that he saved the shutout at least once; his consistency this season has been a big boost to the defense. Sounds like IU had more energy at the end, so let's hope that carries over to Rutgers tomorrow.

5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    the rutgers game sunday is available on a free stream on rutgers' website.

6. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    Any news on Coleman? Columbus, Indiana product McKain looks pretty solid.

7. rct2009

rct2009 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    NY/Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coleman is still on the team, Hoosiers are just stacked, especially with the current starting 4 in defense. Lots of chemistry, not giving up goals, and playing really really well. Not taking anything away from Jack Coleman, but he will probably have to wait until next year after Tommy Meyer graduates.

8. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    I'm sure he is thrilled about that.

9. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    Then he has 2 options, pout and quit....or step his game up and make it impossible to keep him off the field.

10. Not Vago

Not Vago Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better to be in that situation where there is exceptional talent then this situation:

How about a coach showing up for fall, seeing that the talent he has isn't what he thought, so he plays all his freshmen so he has a built in excuse for failure. Never mind that the team has given up 4 PKs in 5 games.

Or maybe it's being a 5'10' central defender. Even with a 38 inch vertical leap Heck, even a 40 inch vertical leap never got Ronnie Fields into the NBA

Can't say we weren't warned.

11. kickeru

kickeru Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Maybe I'm missing the point or I'm not informed.

Is this referring to a hypothetical or a real situation? If real, where?

12. CollegeFan

CollegeFan Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Yeah, totally confused by that post.

13. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i'm heading down to bloomington in a little bit. very excited for the game... and a nick's stromboli... and some sink the biz? hahaha.

14. bcboy

bcboy Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Not Vago's son was one the best center backs i saw in the entire country during three years years of Academy soccer, including two trips to Home Depot for the Academy finals. Unfortunately, he is 5 ft. 10 and decided to go to an elite academic institution where the coach thinks central defenders have to be over 6 foot. Caleb Porter wanted this kid as a defender but his current coach wants to turn him into a midfielder. Carlos Puyol would suffer the same fate in this country. This kid is good enough to start at center defense at virtually any college in the country, including the top 10 programs.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, let's quit beating around the bush. At what school does Not Vago's team play?

BTW, I disagree with the statement about Puyol not getting a chance had he been in the US.

AJ DeLaGarza started on two national championship teams at Maryland and played CB most of the time. He's no more than 5-7. Nick Garcia was a starting defender in MLS and at Indiana and he's generously listed at 5-10.

Akron's Bryan Gallego is 5-10 and starts at CB. So is UNC starting CB Boyd Okwuonu.

Yes, there are a lot of big CBs in the US but plenty of not so big ones, too. Heck, stand next to Carlos Bocanegra sometime and you'll be surprised at how much shorter he is than he seems. He's got broad shoulders and great hops so he seems big, but he's maybe 5-11 (despite what he's listed at).

It just takes finding coaches willing to play a smaller CB. Hopefully Not Vago's son can find one such coach.

16. vasco06

vasco06 New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Depaul??

17. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Michael Parkhurst, etc., etc...

18. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    Princeton.

Now can we get back on track with what this thread is about?

Big game tonight, Big Ten opener.

19. kickeru

kickeru Member

Feb 23, 2006
    IU vs. PSU supposed to be on video at iuhoosiers.com

I can't get it. Anyone having any luck?

20. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    1-0 hoosiers. it was a fun game last night. i felt like we were kind of sloppy with the ball. we had some trouble stringing passes together. defensively, we were solid for the most part. the center ref made some interesting calls. it was a good win to start the big ten season.

21. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I liked our sense of urgency when we had the ball (yes, this resulted in some errors). This team wants to go FORWARD! I prefer that to just knocking the ball around and hoping the D goes to sleep. Our defense, with a few scary exceptions, looked pretty good. We also eventually found a way to win despite, as every quote at IUHoosiers included, "we weren't at our best today." A good win, one that puts us in a very good position in the Big10.

We'll know a lot more after Wisconsin, Creighton, & Louisville!

BRF

22. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    Jacob Bushue gets some nice (and deserved) comments on the collegesoccernews.com website under the "team linchpins" section.

23. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, WTH happened in Madison?!?!

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Maybe you guys hired the wrong alum.

25. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Wrong name... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the old days. We dominated most of the game (13-6 shots; 5 saves for UW, 1 for IU), but somehow ended up on the short side of the one stat that matters. Also, we appeared to be second best on set pieces and in the air.

We are now 0-2 on PKs.... :mad:

Hopefully we can redeem ourselves on Wed and Sun.

BRF