In Siberia, hockey is a summer sport (IIHF, NHL, KHL, Europe, NCAAs)

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Real Corona, May 13, 2011.

1. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Where in MIA?

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I want to say my friends live in either Coral Gables or Coconut Grove, but I can't remember exactly.

3. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Well, one is not far from the other. it's not like all these tiny towns in South Florida are clearly demarcated...

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Burmistrov is looking like a future star in this league. Kid is only 19, and he's on one of the worst teams in the NHL, nobody can score. He has 3 goals, 6 assists for 9 points in 9 games. The next best Jet had 6 going into tonight.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, ISS has Yakupov and Grigorenko as #1 and #2 in their early rankings.

Grigorenko isn't a universal #2 among other services, although he is in the top 10 of everybody at the least. Yakupov however, is the clear cut, no nonsense favorite on everybody's list.

6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Markstrom let in 2 goals in the last 2:02 and Florida lose 4-3. The last 2:02 were quite exciting, actually.

Senators score with 2:02 to go (3:2), Panthers score with 0:47 to go (3:3), Senators score with 0:02 to go (4:3)

7. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Kulikov had 2 helpers. ;)

8. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Jets beat the Flyers, 9-8! 9-freakin-8!

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highest scoring game in something like 15 years.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He left a bad rebound on the game winner, but otherwise none the goals were particularly egregious.

11. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I know Real Corona mentioned Burmistrov as a guy who has really impressed him so far this season, here are 3 players that have caught my eye from the western conference early this year:

Erik Johnson: I've watched parts of 4-5 Avs games, and he looks like the real deal. I knew he was the #1 overall pick a few years back and was solid defensively, but he looks great on the Avs' PP as well. Big, good skater, skilled with the puck, booming shot...my only complaint would be that he occasionally makes bad decisions with the puck.

Jamie Benn: Man, what an exciting young player this guy is turning out to be. He, Loui Eriksson and Steve Ott have essentially replaced Ribeiro and Morrow as Dallas' #1 line, and they're producing just about every night. Benn's incredibly fun to watch in open ice, he's not afraid to get to the dirty areas in front of the net, and he doesn't neglect his defensive duties. Even without Brad Richards, Dallas is fun to watch for me.

Jonathan Quick: This guy is off to a phenomenal start, and LA looks like a legitimate contender in the west for me assuming Doughty can stay healthy.

12. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I wish Yakupov was already playing. :( At least the Juniors will be here in a few months so I could check him out there.

13. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you ever watch the Hawks?

I think they are one of the funnest teams to watch, especially Hossa, Kane & Toews.

14. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Barely watch them.

15. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you watch any NHL then?

16. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I watch Russian players if I can. but I don't have VS anymore so unless I stream it it's pretty much all Hawks games.

I still watch a god deal of international hockey though.

17. Circa 1985

Circa 1985 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Not a good night for Russian goaltending between Bobrovskiy and Bryzgalov in that Flyers game and I think Nabokov got hurt because the Islanders used DiPietro in the shootout.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anything, Johnson's problems have been defensively. He is an excellent skater. He's so big and has such good mobility it takes him three strides and he's out of the zone. He can move the puck, a good passer and has a excellent shot. His big point shot is something the Avalanche have been missing for what, five plus years now since Rob Blake left.

Unfortunately he's been a bit inconsistent and troubled in his own zone. He's been a part of the reason that he and Jan Hejda are -6 and -7 on the team, worst on the team. Part of that is facing the other teams best forwards. Part of it is Johnson has only played three full seasons in the NHL and has a lot to still learn about the game.

He's in the Zach Bogosian category if you ask me. 100% marks for talent and ability, but the mental part of the game still has a ways to go.

19. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'd agree that he's made some poor decisions in his own zone, but he is still very young as you said. I think he has a chance to be extremely special, but we'll have to wait a while to determine whether or not Colorado got the better of the Stewart and Shattenkirk trade...

And Real Corona, have you had the opportunity to watch Dallas and Jamie Benn at all this season? I think he could easily be a point per game guy this year, would you agree with that projection?

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamie Benn is a very good player. I certainly think 70-80 points is possible for him. Had 40 his first year, increased that to 56 in 69 games last year, so a jump to 70 or so is very feasible. He's big, strong and has good hands, scoring touch. Kind of impressive what Joe Nieuwendyk has done with a Dallas team that is only a fraction above the floor and lost their best player.

21. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And haha, the Sharks go into Detroit and beat the Wings again. Having their number almost makes all our playoff exits tolerable. :D

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In quite possibly the most awesome thing I've come across today.

Members of the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake Sioux of North Dakota have filed an injunction and suit against the NCAA in response to the NCAA's efforts to force the University of North Dakota to drop it's Fighting Sioux nickname. The NCAA claims that the University's use of the Fighting Sioux nickname is offensive to the Sioux people.

[​IMG]

23. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ Haha.

By the way, did you see any of the Hawks-Preds game last night on Center Ice? Chicago really looked explosive offensively, and Kane looks really comfortable playing as a center (except in the FO circle, lol).

But Nashville just gave up way too many qualify scoring chances, and Rinne actually made several good stops just to keep them in the game. I think the Preds lack depth defensively this year and may struggle just to reach the playoffs.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the highlights and saw quite a few terrible goals going in on both goalies.

25. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit lost again tonight, they're just not clicking right now. Tons of stupid penalties, no rhythm established at even strength, they concede a late goal with a minute left, and then Setoguchi scores the winner in OT.