In fair Verona...: Michael Bradley at Chievo, pt II [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Mar 19, 2012.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Urgh, I originally posted this in the wrong place. That's what I get for multi-threading. Anyway:

As for the topic of language learning, it's true most adults can learn a second language. However, there is often a separation between those who do well learning a second language and those who do well learning multiple languages. I can pick up a language pretty well, but then it kinda shoves out the previous language. There are probably articles and studies about this particular brand of brain business.

2. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has been quiet for awhile.

Word in the press is that Roma and Chievo are doing business with each other. Possibly not Bradley related but it does make his club a bit better if he stays. Apparently Greco might be sold to Chievo, which is fair enough. He's a decent player but I think Roma can use an upgrade for him. I think playing consistently at Chievo will be good for him. Also Cheivo would be acquiring one of our better young players under a co-ownership deal, Junior Tallo. He's made a few appearances for the 1st team and scored dozens of goals for the Primavera, so hopefully if Bradley stays we see more goals.

It's possible that Greco is being used as a carrot to lower the price on Mikey but I have no evidence of that. Bradley if he can into the squad would be looking to get some of the appearances Greco, Simplicio, and the departed Gago got last season, 42 starts and 26 sub appearances between them.

3. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at the UltraPalermo twitter account,there's quotes from Chievo's sporting director Sartori and Bradley's agent. Sounds like there is a stalemate, Chievo wants certain players in return but Palermo is balking and no other clubs have shown interest so far.

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Tom Collingsworth, neems and bungadiri repped this.
  5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From the way I read it, "He isn't even a player of Palermo yet, but he already has an assured spot on the squad (Assuming starting 11?), or at the very least praise of Palermos new coach, Jose Sannino. With recent statements to 'radio radio', the new coach of Palermo was quoted as saying "Bradley is a very important player: He is a very serious person, he is a player that brings a lot to a team, and he can play many different positions, which in turn give him many chances to play. If he came to Palermo, I'd be happy."

6. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley is the type of midfielder you'd think Sannino would love to have.

I think he'll play very well in a 4-4-2, with the attacking options Palermo have.

7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What type of midfield do they play- dual box-to-box CMs or with a mediano and a regista?

8. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I can gather dual box-to-box. Which actually is similar to what Roma would look like with a two man midfield. De Rossi is best when he's box-to-box and I think Bradley is the same way. Donati is adept at playing in the center with a midfielder of a similar type, pulley system. So I think it can work. I think because Sannino favors a 4-4-2 so he'll play attacking midfielders like Illicic and Acquah as side midfielders.

9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. It's a pretty complex system to play as (typically) one CM needs to be more defensive and one more advanced and those roles shift back and forth a lot during the game. My observation is that when Mike has played in this system in the past (Heerenveen, BMG and USMNT) he gets up the field a lot. At his clubs, he was usually paired with a more defensive-minded CM and it worked well. At times for the USA, though, he wasn't and the team suffered from giving up soft goals. There are other ways to address this situation, though- having really good centerbacks helps a lot.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Unless my translation is off, this article seems to be saying that a deal has been agreed to in principle between Chievo and Palermo for Michael Bradley (around 3 million Euros and a couple I believe fringe Palermo players), but that it hasn't been formalized yet.

http://www.newnotizie.it/2012/06/calciomercato-palermo-bradley-e-vicino-gonzalez-in-partenza/

edit: another article says the deal is between 3 to 3.5 million Euro plus one of three Palermo players (Zahavi, Acquah, or Kurtic) who will either be loaned or sold outright.

http://www.calciomercato.com/mercato/palermo-c-e-l-intesa-per-bradley-ma-l-annuncio-slitta-702578

11. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they don't sell Acquah, he can be a good player.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I find them somewhat similar Donati is more defensive. At Celtic he used to anchor the midfield partnered with Scott Brown.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I really love those Palermo kits. Might have to consider an investment.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A generic question about football transfers: When a team includes players as part of a transfer deal to (presumably) lower the outright cash cost of a player's rights they buy, how does that inclusion get factored into any sell on clauses a previous team placed on future transfers of said player?

Using this hypothetical (but quashed as done deal by Seltzer) deal for Bradley: If (hypothetically) BMG had included a sell on % for when Cheivo sold Bradley and Cheivo sold Bradley straight up for money, that's pretty straightforward to figure out. But if Cheivo (hypothetically) sold Bradley for cash + 2 players, would BMG's sell on % only be factored from the cash portion or from the cash + some transfer value assigned to the 2 players included in the deal?

16. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

good question. I assume it would only deal with Bradley's cash transfer as there's no real way to assign a dollar value to a player. However if that is the case, it seems like it would be in a teams best interest to take lower money + players anytime they sell someone that has a sell on clause from a prior team. I'm actually surprised that we don't see more player swaps + cash in soccer, I guess it's because all players have to agree to the deal which can be a PITA.

17. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    There are ways to estimate the value of a player. I'm sure all parties could come to some agreement on a fair value. The team looking for the sell on money is not going to just let it go because some of the transfer is in players and not cash.

18. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Oh I'm sure the original team won't just let it go, but it seems like getting 3 teams to come to an agreement on the value of a player must be incredibly hard given all the conflicting interests. It seems like it's hard enough to value players when only 2 teams are involved.

19. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the story about a co-ownership between Roma and Chievo and assumed that Chievo was buying 50% of Tallo's rights but I completely forgot he came to us from Chievo. We we bought him from Chievo who bought him from Inter. I don't know why I thought we bought him directly from Inter and were selling Chievo 50% of his rights. That will teach me not to read the whole story.

Oh well, disregard the previous post.

20. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was searching twitter and found this link from today. I think it says Sartori was on Fiorentina radio today and said Fiorentina is interested in Bradley, or maybe Bradley likes Fiorentina but there has been no official approach. Sounds like he is trying to get a bidding war going, or at least someone to rival Palermo. Pink or Purple for Mikey?

dlvr.it/1lPhmR

fightingswans repped this.
  21. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Fiorentina could really use him

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Can any Italian speakers tell us which one of these it is? Because that would make a difference.

23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    My understanding of the quote is that there is mutual interest between Mikey and Fiorentina and that would be Mikey and his agent's desired spot but the club has yet to make any offer to Chievo.

24. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sartori gave updates on several players to calciomercato.it. Here's a crappy translation of the Bradley part...can anyone provide a better one? Thanks.
    http://www.calciomercato.it/news/162879/Giovanni-Sartori-su-Paloschi-e-Bradley.html

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    BRADLEY - "I don't know if he'll go to Palermo. There's a lot of chatter about him and right now things have come to a halt because of the co-ownership deals, but starting on Monday we'll seriously think about the transfer market. He's a very desirable player, but there's no one team in pole position for him. They're all in the same position."

Deeneaus, FirstStar, WrmBrnr and 3 others repped this.