In fair Verona...: Michael Bradley at Chievo, pt II [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Mar 19, 2012.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's put it this way, since Maurizio Zamparini bought Palermo, even though they've come up to the Serie A for the first time in in 34 years when they first came up in 2004, he has changed a number of coaches.....

Ezio Glerean 2002 2002
    Daniele Arrigoni 2002 2003
    Daniele Arrigoni 2002 2003
    Nedo Sonetti 2003 2003
    Silvio Baldini 2003 2004
    Francesco Guidolin 2004 2005
    Luigi Delneri 2005 2006
    Giuseppe Papadopulo 2006 2006
    Francesco Guidolin 2006 2007
    Renzo Gobbo - Rosario Pergolizzi 2007 2007
    Francesco Guidolin 2007 2007
    Stefano Colantuono 2007 2007
    Francesco Guidolin 2007 2008
    Stefano Colantuono 2008 2008
    Davide Ballardini 2008 2009
    Walter Zenga 2009 2009
    Delio Rossi 2009 2011
    Serse Cosmi 2011 2011
    Delio Rossi 2011 2011
    Stefano Pioli 2011 2011
    Devis Mangia 2011 2011
    Bortolo Mutti 2011

2. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for reping it

#1 Feilhaber and Adu repped this.
  3. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a more stable organization I think Guidolin would have had Palermo qualifying for Europe regularly last decade.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think even Guidolin has had enough of him. Palermo fans though will always love Zampa for bringing them up to higher levels of the Serie A.....

5. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm just looking at the situation If Bradley were to sign for Palermo.

The new manager Sannino, comes from Siena where against the odds he was able to keep them up finishing 14th. He's very Italian in approach. I think he plays the 4-4-2 the vast majority of time which does suits Palermo, they played the 4-4-2 early last season. I believe at Varese they often played the 4-4-2. I wouldn't say he's as defensive as Cheivo, he seems to be more English in approach, counter-attacking which is similar. Either style will suit Bradley but he wants to get with a side that can win more matches he's probably better served finding a good counter-attacking side because they score more goals and win more matches then sides clubs like Cheivo.

Now as always Palermo have a few players who can move this summer. The three most prominent are Federico Balzaretti, Matias Silvestre and Emiliano Viviano. But of course others could leave as well like Josip Ilicic and Hernandez, then of course Capitano Miccoli's contract is running down. So it's hard to say how they'll look next season.

The good thing about Palermo they might not sign marquee players but they do buy players, sometimes they break through a season to late like Cavani.

I wouldn't be too bothered if Palermo sold Hernadez, I rate him but I'm not sure he's right for this type of team and tactics. The need a true #9 to partner with Miccoli if they play the 4-4-2. I have no idea who Palermo are looking to bring in. Palermo have Igor Budan but I don't really rate him. I know they signed Paulo Dybala who looks class. He might even be good enough to back up Miccoli. At the very least the need to sign a striker regardless of what happens to Miccoli. I hear Palermo are looking at Gabbadini who is a young highly rated prospect, he would fit a 4-4-2.

Palermo actually have some good defensive options but as I alluded to earlier who knows who will be there next season. If Silvestre and Balzaretti are sold they have Ezequiel Munoz who's highly rated. Mantovani can play Centerback and left back, and is average at both positions. I think even with those players Palermo needs to strengthen in defense, at CB in particular.

Viviano was a strange signing for Palermo, I don't think they have a chance to keep him. Zamparini recently said Samir Ujkani will be his keeper, who is co-owned by Palermo.

The midfield is the one area I think they'll be alright if they just sign Bradley, though it could use improvement. I figure he'll just replace Migliaccio, bald guy in, bald guy out. They'll probably still look for young midfielders, the wingers aren't that good. They often put attacking midfielders wide, which they have a few. In a 4-4-2 Bradely has several creative midfielder options to partner with which is in stark contrast to Cheivo. Even if Palermo sold Ilicic they could pair Bradley with Acquah, who I rate and doesn't get enough matches imo.

That's all I got, it's not a club I know a ton about. If there's anyone with more information feel free to add on because I'm struggling.

WrmBrnr, neems, quinn and 2 others repped this.
  6. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Rep for repping me for repping him.

7. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Guys guys guys guys! (and girl)

...did you know that Bradley has a dog? And isn't a ball kicking cyborg?

Mind status: Blown.

neems and usry723 repped this.
  8. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if he was thinking about that dog when he had his wonder strike against Scotland. No wonder he kicked the hell out of that ball.

neems, mcritelli, quinn and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Bradley's agent mentioned a scenario of him playing alongside Massimo Donati in central midfield.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Good segment. Although I'm sure many Italians will find it hilarious (and possibly appalling) to hear Neapolitan music playing as they show street scenes in Verona...

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cool piece! Nice looking girl. Wonder if she is Italian or German? I know how he feels. I had sort of the same experience when I lived in Florence. Verona is a little smaller and more quaint but not too much English is spoken outside the big 3/4 Rome, Florence and Venice, maybe Milan but that's about it. I was lucky that I spoke the language before I went but a lot of American counterparts students and even older people who moved there didn't have the same fate and had trouble. You got to learn the language. Soccer players are looked up to especially if they are doing well and are put on a pedestal and get praised everywhere they go. Not so true for ordinary people. The cool thing about Verona are the restaurants and the the food is incredible and the cafe's are awesome.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    New Jerseyite

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh I see. Italian -American! :D

Mr Martin repped this.
  14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like she's not Italian because she seemed like she was also learning Italian. Her name was Amanda.
    If they ever have kids, watch out for the size of their foreheads! The kids would be good looking though.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    She didn't seem like she talked at all. Dream woman!;)

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was agreeing when he was talking about learning Italian.

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heads up. I'm going to ask folks to keep the comments about Mike's lovely wife to a minimum.

Jeff Bradley and afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    That is insane. Is there any other top division club with a record of switching managers that frequently?

19. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm,

Then they might put Acquah and Illicic as side midfielders. At least that's what I would do.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its become the norm in the Serie A in recent years. Luciano Gaucci of Perugia in the 90's up until the early 2000 for example, was notorious for changing coaches. Then he hired Serse Cosmi and kept him for 4 years which seemed like a miracle.....

21. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I allowed to mention she played tennis is college so there's a good chance they'll make athletic babies? Can't wait for Junior Junior to make the national team!

22. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the problem more so in other leagues is that chairman are so connected to day to day operations of the club and they exert power over the club. Basically every chairman in Italy is Jerry Jones or Mark Cuban. A lot of these decisions are emotional, like ones you'd expect to see if you made a fan the chairman. Not only are they impulsive but Italian ultras are notoriously impulsive as well, and chairman are easily influenced by the Ultras.

Just look at Enrique, I'm in the minority amongst Roma fans but I think he should have been given another year. That team had so many holes, our delusional fans (ultras in particular) thought we should be playing better then the results showed.

The same situation happens all the time. With Guidolin in particular sometimes it was the Zamparini that pushed him out other times it was the fans. That's just typical in Italy unfortunately.

[​IMG]

ChambersWI repped this.
  23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ^ to add to this, if you are replacing somebody that the fans love, you'll see constant change happening. Cesare Prandelli was the manager at Fiorentina from 2005 to 2010 before taking over the national team. They're now looking for their 4th manager since he left. Or look at Inter since Mourinho left; Rafa, Leonardo, Gasperini, Ranieri, and Stramaccioni. Genoa is on it's 5th manager since Gasperini. Cagliari have had 6 since Allegri went to Milan. Even Milan had trouble after firing Zaccheroni in 2001, having 5 managers in that calendar year including Carlo Ancelotti who stayed till 2009 (granted 2 were just caretakers, Cesare Maldini and Mauro Tassotti who is still an assistant at Milan)

And to me the big problem is the Italian teams for the most part just keep hiring the same people over and over. And while I can't speak for Roma fans (I'm Milan), the ones I have seen weren't too fond of the Enrique hiring because he was "in way over his head", "didn't understand the Italian style" and "was only hired because people thought he would be Pep".

SoCalYid repped this.
  24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    He can provide assists to the son of Mia Hamm and Nomar Garciaparra!

25. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    They had twin daughters.