Impact sign new head coach - Marco Schällibaum

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by profiled, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I haven't either. But it does seem that many top Canadian players are from immigrant families and may have access to passports from their families' home country. There also seems to be a good number of top Canadian prospects that go to European academy teams. Those that can't go to Europe don't get the education they need to reach the top. That's the (simplified) problem with Canadian soccer. The hope is that with professional teams here with good academies, that will change

2. barista9

barista9 Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Interesting read AndyMead.
    However, I don't see any anti-american posturing. Montreal's got a lot of promising americans that we all like. Even Jeb Browsky has a 'Jebi Knights' fan club of sorts. Valentin and Wenger are very well liked. And I think that Arnaud can be very usefull for us.

The issue was with the use of such players, Arnaud and Mapp specifically. Arnaud was employed for everything, everywhere in a rather stupid fashion by Marsch. It made Arnaud very vulnerable and magnified its limits. Why use Arnaud as a full back when you have Valentin and Camara on the bench??

The most frustrating experience for me probably has been Marsch subbing Ferrari for Mapp when looking for a goal while dropping Arnaud in defense. This kind of move is just so wrong, Saputo cannot have tolerated that. That resulted in losing the game 3-1. The lack of in game management was just too flagrant.

3. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    a lot of Canadians have at least one grandparent who can trace to European citizenship

4. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think Marsch's time was up in Mtl when Toronto destroyed Mtl 3-0 in at the Big O (or was it Stade Saputo?) Saputo was pissed after that game.

5. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not sure about passports, but Im pretty sure there are different work permit rules for Commonwealth countries, of which Canada is a member.

6. barista9

barista9 Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Stade Saputo. Frings scoring on a free kick, straight to the goaler, Ricketts who moved out of the way to let the ball in. That was bad allright. I remember like yesterday, Nesta was in the attendance :)

7. 0948735

0948735 Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick De Santis, Matt Jordan, and Mr. Saputo deserve loud applauses for bringing in Schällibaum. The guy has certainly changed the culture of the Impact and built a strong foundation almost immediately. I certainly had my doubts if he could adjust to MLS and it's quirky rules and regs. It's a lot to grasp if you haven't previously worked in and around the league. I suspect he's a quick learner. I also bet Mauro Biello, his assistant, has played a large role. IIRC, Felipe and Dennis Iapichino played under him at FC Lugano. They may have "sold" the players on his system for all we know. Schällibaum is doing big things. Hell, he's given Justin Mapp his mojo back and he hasn't hasn't been this good in 4 years!!

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah I'll be the first to eat the crow I thought the team would be a disaster, but they're doing amazingly well.

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus one.

At least we still have clueless Chivas USA to kick around.

11. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marco Schällibaum is a wonderful coach who has done an phenomenal job with this club this year, and clearly the Montreal Impact is the best Canadian team in MLS season 18. [​IMG]

12. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amway Canadian Champions

[​IMG]

13. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    I can understand the earlier fears about Montreal steering away from domestic and American players, but Schällibaum has been master at properly utilizing all his players. He should be thoroughly commended for what he and his team have done with Justin Mapp. Andrew Wenger has also been playing very well under his system, and he's even been rotating in a bunch of home grown players like Karl Ouimette.

14. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent him a box chocolate the other day..:laugh:

15. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job so far.

Everyone loved Hans Backe too in year 1 in 2010 but then we all saw how that turned out. Still early to see how this whole thing will turn out. But credit to him for what he has accomplished so far.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I looked back through the thread to see if I posted anything dumb. Looks like I didn't post at all. I don't think I pretended to know anything about Schallibaum, I was just scratching my head at firing Marsch after one season, as if you could be surprised at what that team looked like. If there was ever a "WYSIWYG" type of guy, he's it. Didn't seem like a great way to run a business, an expansion team firing a coach after one season where he didn't really do all that badly and had exactly the style you must have known he would, but yeah, they're winning now, so . . .

17. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

If anything, Marsch had changed the culture of the club in Year One. At its best in the last 20 years, the Impact had been a big family club, and it's something that we're seeing this year. People standing together and winning together.

Schallibaum is also a much better man-manager (with players and FO) than Marsch was last year.

m vann repped this.
  18. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Daniel, haven't seen you on the Voyageurs forum in years, what happened?

19. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Life and Honduran heartbreak :).

I haven't had the same passion for CMNT since Honduras '08, but I've stuck to being a regular supporter for IMFC in the last few years. I figured after 10k forum posts, I was set for a while :p!

20. MFG North Side

Nov 4, 2012
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well said.

I think this shows, that there isn't any secret recipe in building a successful MLS franchise. What works in one market, won't necessarily work in another market. I think alot of people don't realize that Saputo has been in the business for 20 years, that's a lifetime in terms of North American Soccer franchises. He knows his market, and he deserves credit for making the changes that he has made both on, and off the pitch. It would be so easy for him, to stick with the cookie cutter team he had last season, but eventually that would have turned into another TFC.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how many changes did they make to the starting 11 of Montreal? Sure the coaching staff has been very successful, very quickly. But they did very little to change the team that existed in 2012.

Allez RSL repped this.
  22. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal could challenge for the cup this year. they could also makes waves in CCL. they look good.

23. MFG North Side

Nov 4, 2012
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The changes began last season, when they corrected errors, in getting rid of the likes of Donavan Ricketts, Justin Braun, Tyson Wahl, Josh Gardner. The foundation of the team is basically the same as last year. The only difference is that we actually have a coach who is capable of making it work. I like Jesse Marsch, but he was clearly over his head last season.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But apparently a team building genius!

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They have a solid side. They may get a points record the way they are winning.