"Immer nur Du VfL" Wolfsburg 10/11 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by Einzelgänger, Sep 24, 2009.

1. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish that one of these days I will get a chance to visit your great nation, in which I myself have already embraced as one that if I could move to it I would. But things are much different over here in America as opposed to over in Europe, but overall, most ideals are pretty much the same.

I do have a list of my favorite things from Germany that I like (and it's more than just sausage and of course the VW's, I own a 1999 New Beetle GLS 2.0 and a 1963 Transporter Kombi), such as music, I am a fan of Rammstein, In Extremo, and also early Megaherz (what, did you expect me to just say the Scorpions and that's it?), and also most of the culture aspects are shared between our two great nations as well. We both dig the Beautiful Game of football (not just NFL Football either!), besides Wolfsburg I also have embraced the Seattle Sounders FC as well. I am also a huge fan of hockey (of the Los Angeles Kings of the NHL since I was 8 years old in 1975) and from what I hear you guys have a pretty good club yourselves over in the WOB with the Grizzly Adams.

Well, I've gotta go, Game 7 of the 2nd round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs between Detroit and San Jose is coming up in just seconds, so peace out to you and also keep the faith, VfL will pull through this Saturday!!!

2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    It's ok, I guess, but I honestly don't share the fascination the non-German BS members have with the country.

I have no driver's license, so never got into cars either. On the other hand, I'm a fan of the Scorpions. The less said about the other bands, the better.

Our hockey team folded a few years ago, and I'd rather give up on the sport before cheering for EHC Wolfsburg (and no, I won't use the new name :D). I fear there are also few people on this board who dislike VfL Wolfsburg as much as I do, but still - good luck on saturday. I don't want to have to play Wolfsburg next season, because I couldn't stand the game being called a derby.

3. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Adams have a problem with the Scorpions, so as a Hanover Indians fan I actually don't care that much.

That being said, while America and Germany often seem alike there are still underlying differences one should be aware (goes for any two cultures you compare actually).

4. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even though I am a big Felix Magath fan, I can't tell you how much I disagree with your comments above.

Why?

Because anywhere he's ever been, Felix's methods wear down his players.

Dude, Felix Magath has had far, far more coaching jobs than most other men considered great coaches.

Why? Again, anywhere he's ever been, Felix's methods wear down his players.

And his massive ego tends to rub his bosses the wrong way.

Felix is a guy who can get the best out of a team for two seasons max.

After that, the players tire of his authoritarian style and quit on him.

I also think you're wrong about Dzeko. He was eventually leaving no matter who was coach
    at VfL Wolfsburg.

If you really think a player who had reached the heights Dzeko had would really want to stay in Wolfsburg, you've got another thing coming.

I don't know if you're a baseball fan, but what you're saying would be tantamount to Alex Rodriguez turning down the Yankees to stay with someone like the Pittsburgh Pirates or Kansas City Royals just because they might have won a title or two.

Not calling VfL Wolfsburg a "crap club", but dude, no one that big aspires to play for VfL Wolfsburg. Even if the club is winning Bundesliga titles.

I'm sorry, but that's just how it is.

This is why as a Borussia Dortmund fan, I'm not hating on Nuri Sahin for choosing to join Real Madrid.

Real Madrid is arguably the biggest club in the world. Many consider it the biggest club in the world challenged only by Manchester United and FC Barcelona.

I know there's no way most players choose Borussia Dortmund over Real Madrid.

I love Borussia Dortmund with all my heart, but I know where we stand in the European Football grand scheme of things.

I think you really need to understand where VfL Wolfsburg stands in the European Football grand scheme of things.

I thought so at first, but not anymore. Diego shares one of Magath's major flaws. His freakin' ego.

When Diego first joined Bremen, he was eager to prove himself and prove his detractors wrong.

In my opinion, in his first two seasons with Bremen, Diego was the best player in the Bundesliga.

But once he started getting the accolades, they quickly went to his head.

He began worrying more about raising his own star than helping the team to succeed.

That has not changed.

Where VfL really messed up was in not being able to hold on to Misimovic.

Between the two, Diego is certainly the more talented player, but Misimovic was the better TEAM player and thus better for the TEAM.

If you guys stay up and I were Felix Magath, the first thing I would work on doing is selling Diego's overrated ass and work on getting Misimovic back to town.......

I think you really overrate these guys. Grafite had one dream season. Other than that, he's been crap.

To make it clear, he's been f#(king crap!

Diego? He's all about Diego. Nothing and no one else.

Dzeko was the real deal. No doubt about that. He's a true "franchise player."

However, he was lured by the bright lights and big bank accounts of England. He was never, ever staying in Wolfsburg. Never.

Felix Magath has always done best with a team of young players willing to run through fire just because he said to do it.

If you guys stay up, look for Felix to move your team in that direction.

5. Mattjv

Mattjv Member

Oct 27, 2008
    AZ
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe I just read Footy's post and agree with everything he said. That's a first.

6. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the team does go down, I know which game I will be travelling to Germany to see next season (but I'll be sure not to call it a Derby).

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Buy in advance, though. Both games would sell out in less than 24 hours.

8. splashadoodles

splashadoodles New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  9. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Yes, true. He left the team, Wolfsburg with 17 players today.

10. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty confident I could score a ticket. Have a friend with pretty good connections with the team. But I won't have to worry about that..... :)

What a span of 3 minutes from the 68th to 71st minute in all three games.
    From 17th to 15th like that.

Ahh, Alles ist so schon........

11. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SAFE!!!

All of us Wolfsburg supporters around the world can breathe a collected sigh of relief, as we came back from being down 1-0 to beat TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 3-1, Mario Mandzucic scored 2 goals and finally Grafite got on the board to secure the VfL their 15th consecutive year at the top-flight in Bundesliga.

Also Dortmund destroyed a dejected and demoralized Eintracht Frankfurt 3-1 in their championship party.

and....

Borussia Monchengladbach managed only a 1-1 draw against Hamburger SV.

So now here are your fnal standings at the bottom of the table:

Wolfsburg is safe in 15th, and avoids either instant relegation or even that dreaded one-match playoff

Borussia Monchengladbach finishes 16th and now must play if that one-match playoff against the third best in 2. Bundesliga

Eintracht Frankfurt and FC St. Pauli are packing their bags for that dreaded trip down Relegation Lane (kinda like the ol' "Heartbreak Hotel" in a way) and will be playing in the 2. Bundesliga for the 2011-12 season

12. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congratulations guys. Thank god for Magath eh?

How bout Diego by the way? Out?

13. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not surprised that Diego walked out. I don't think he liked when Magath said that he will be forcing all of the players to stay with the team if they are relegated. Plus its not like Diego had a great season with Wolfsburg. I think this incident was forshadowing the team does not need him

I think the only real reason he came to Wolfsburg was to get playing time and to return to a league where he was successful

14. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    We take Diego as a free transfer, if Wolfsburg pays half of his salary. :p

Nah, congrats for avoiding relegation.

15. Mattjv

Mattjv Member

Oct 27, 2008
    AZ
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank god one of Hoeness/McClaren's signings panned out (Mandzukic) as well.

I doubt Magath will keep Diego around. I won't miss him, but hopefully they don't sell him to another German team.

16. Interserpent

Interserpent BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 2, 2006
    Congrats, over came the odds well done

17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done! It will be good to have you back!!

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Screw it, send him to the Russian tundra and get Misimovic back. :D

19. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL!!

Thanks a lot! :)

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego probably just cost VfL a lot of transfer fee money by walking out.

But some dumbass English team will take him.

I'm sure of it......

21. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    English teams don't fancy Brazilians to much as most are lazy..

22. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Manzukic got voted as a top 10 worst transfer..Freakin guy has been brilliant the last few weeks and basically saved Wolfsburg from relegation..

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :confused:

24. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't tune in this morning online to the Wolfsburg tilt against Hoffenheim, as when I clicked the link all I got was a test pattern, so I was pretty much relegated to the DFL live ticker to do some scoreboard watching while simultaneously switching between the Dortmund-Frankfurt and Hamburger SV-Monchengladbach matches on Sky Deutschland and following Wolfsburg on the ticker, it got scary around the 55th minute when Frankfurt scored first in their tilt and finding our Hoffenheim scored nearly the same time in our match, but things got better for the VfL in the 60th minute when Mario Mandzukic (10 worst tranfers, my ass!!!, not with the effort he has put out in the past 6 matches after Felix Magath made his triumphant return) scored his two goals followed by a Grafite insurance goal, and with the total collapse of Frankfurt, and M'Gladbach not able to pull away finishing at a 1-1 draw after leading 1-0 at the half, I was celebrating when the live ticker read "second half ends Wolfsburg 3, Hoffenheim 1".

We live to play another year in the top-flight Bundesliga, our 15th consecutive year, not bad for a club that critics first said wasn't worthy of being in the top league when the VfL for the first time in franchise history got promoted back in 1997, we haven't looked back since.

25. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Most brazilians don't like to run back and defend. Diego would flop big time in epl.