I'm in an abusive relationship with Bill Hamid.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Liam O'Malley, Jun 25, 2012.

1. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Cooper could have avoided that with easy and nearly guaranteed RBNY a goal by not dragging his right foot to instigate contact, but 1) just about any GK is going to make the same play for the ball, 2) just about any forward is going to make sure contact is initiated in the hopes of getting the ejection and PK, and 3) just about any ref is going to give a red for that.

My only question on whether the call was up for debate or not was whether or not, in pushing the ball around Hamid, he put it too far ahead of himself to reach before it going out for a GK. But no way Geiger or his AR could make that determination from their positions, so I think it'd never be called in favour of the defender in that instance.

2. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anybody please enlighten me as to what "mistake" Hamid made last night?

His "mistake" saved a certain goal, and in all likelihood our season.

3. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    That was my thinking, too.

If my memory serves, Bill's last red card was completely unnecessary, as the attacker had a poor angle and Bill was positioned decently... That one was truly a boneheaded play.

This one, he has to come out and challenge the shooter. Bad break for him, but I don't know what else he's supposed to do there. If Bill doesn't, it's almost certainly a goal for Cooper.

4. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid saved a goal with that red card, even Olsen mentioned it in the post game comments. Once Cooper got around him he knew he had to try and grab him or it's an empty net. It was the only play to make.

5. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, as I type you beat me to it.

edit - And about 4 others, guess it pays to read first.

6. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I kind of have to agree. He didn't have great options in that scenario.

7. YellowSpine

YellowSpine Member

May 7, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding. And in such high stake pressure games, near the end, adrenaline pumping, huge emotional points during the game already, easy to pop a cork and that all boils over. Question to be seen down the road is do they grow and learn from these brain farts. I think Bill has come a ways even since the Olympic Qualifying. That seemed a huge blow, at least from his body language, at the time.

Fortunately neither mistakes by Najar or Hamid doomed us in the end. Yea for bench stepping up.

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    9 times out of 10 Hamid's play ends up being a net negative

You go down a man, down a goal and down a sub 9 times out of 10. With his tantrum he could miss the next game too. Without the foul at worst you go down a goal.

Last night we got lucky. A great save by Willis and a series of key mistakes by Henry, Cooper and Marquez bailed us out.

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If he'd insulted a ref, for sure. But I think mildly insulting a commentator, and one who can take a joke at that, I doubt there would be a suspension.

I'm more worried about Najar.

10. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    The malaprop of Martino's last name (whether due to a typo or thanks to autocorrect) makes it that much better.

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you want to view it like that (I don't really argue with that view, though there was time for DC to score IF Cooper does) then Hamid's mistake was...

...not getting out quick enough to make the foul outside the box.

12. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly the biggest mistake made on that play was McDonald for letting Cooper get past him without fouling him.

Winoman repped this.
  13. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assign Hamid no fault whatsoever in that play. Once the ball is past, Kenny Cooper must not get by.

14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The only thing Hamid did wrong last night was go to social media while the game was on. I understood why he took out Cooper -- maybe he could have been quicker off his line, but any foul on Cooper would have been DOGSO, the only question would be in the box or outside.

15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ironic thing is, Cooper played the last touch pretty hard. When I saw the replay, I'm not sure he would have gotten to it in time for an easy shot. Not that Hamid had any way to know that because he'd already committed himself.

16. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    That was the slowest off-side trap of the playoffs and Bill made the right move and forced the PK with his red card foul. Willis stepped up and I look forward to him holding down the fort in the oven Sunday afternoon. Hopefully Bill only gets fined for criticizing the ref via twitter.

17. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Hamid made the right choice. I thought Cooper put too much on his final touch too; maybe MacDonald could have recovered or maybe not. Water under the bridge at this point.

18. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, good, so it wasn't just me, then...I was starting to worry. :)

19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't criticize the ref, he criticized Kenny Cooper for diving, and the NBC announcer, Kyle Martini (sic).

20. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Martini gaff was probably a "damn you auto correct" moment.