I'm in an abusive relationship with Bill Hamid.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Liam O'Malley, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and just for the record I loved Crayton. He wasn't exactly a goalkeeper - I'd call him an artist. He's the Eric Cantona of goalies :D

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if Hamid is going to have one really bad decision every season, I can live with that. But when he makes a bad decision, it's a really bad decision.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Crayton was also the last Capitalist® goalkeeper to win hardware.

[​IMG]

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it isn't that way every game. If it were, I promise you Willis would have been the starter a while ago.
    If Willis has a great game and we win tomorrow and look good overall in defense despite at least one new player back there, do we stay with him? Probably not, but I think its worth discussion.

5. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I like Hamid, but he really needs to do a lot of maturing to do.

Yes, he can make a lot of great saves. But, there are a lot of little things about him that drive me crazy.
    He punches the ball often when a catch would be the better choice.
    His punches often are back into play instead of out of danger.
    His coverage on cornerkicks is awful.
    On cornerkicks he often only uses one man on the posts. When your coverage is that bad use two.
    When he parries the ball he fails to get it out of danger.
    When he takes on direct shots many times he deflects it downward and catches it on the bounce - just asking for an accident there.

These may seem like little things. But, he really needs to start paying attention to these minor details. It is the difference between being a run of the mill MLS goalie and being one considered for national team duty; which right now he is not.

fatbastard repped this.
  6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't want to start a new thread but I was curious as to what the DC fans think about him? Seems to me (only seen a handful of games) he could be leaving MLS soon because of his talents. I know he trained with West Brom in the offseason. Any suggestions he wont be with DC next season?

7. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still so young for a keeper. He's worth a lot (of money) to DC and MLS, probably more than his value is in other leagues. I guess if someone wants to pay that steep price, it could happen, but I think it will be at least another year.

8. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is too uneven to go to an England just yet. Look at Guzan and his experience over there. If Hamid is thinking long term with national team aspirations needs to make Saturday's great performance more the norm and I think he'll get there in time at DC. Going to England or similar likely one of his off matches cost him far more dearly and be sitting out often.

My guess? Hamid will be here up to at least the World Cup.

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It all depends on Hamid's personal aspirations. It would seem silly to leave now unless it's a great offer from a great club. In DC he's guaranteed minutes and he has great visibility for the USMNT.

But of course some people are itching to get to Europe and don't have the patience to wait for the right opportunity. Anyone know his contract status?

10. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's time for me to eat crow on this one. Hamid has had an amazing second half of the season. He has been absolutely critical in pulling us through a number of these matches in the last stretch.

11. YellowSpine

YellowSpine Member

May 7, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are other options than just England. Also will be some US Call up potential next year when we have to field qualifying teams and Gold Cup teams.

At this point seems he needs to work on his focus and mental fortitude (confidence?) so he doesn't have another break down like the Olympic Qualifying. Seems he is growing there just takes play time and experience. And it's great he has Onstad as coach and spent time with Howard.

12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember your particular posts, but it was fair to hold out decisions about him early in the season. He had some dud games and didn't do to well with the U-23 in qualifying. But, he has had many many fewer mistakes recently and come up with a ton of point-saving saves. With an average goalie, do we make the playoffs? Probably squeeze in as the 5 seed ahead of Houston, but maybe not. He and the defense took some time to get comfortable together, not surprisingly. But now that they are gelling I like what I've been seeing recently.

13. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night was classic Hamid. Play brilliantly with huge saves and then red card and penalty. The thing that concerns me was the theatrics afterward on twitter. I know emotions run high, but no reason for that after the fact.

14. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i missed that stuff somehow,
    in the interest of gossip, were there any juicy details from his posts?

15. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He stated Cooper dove, the official got it wrong and insulted Kyle Martini. I just think players should have to cool off for a while so they don't have access to phones or computers to make this comments after they see red (figuratively and literally).

16. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Willis is a beast.

Hamid WAS having a great game. No question about it. But it says a lot about Willis that I am not scared at all about the fact that he will be our keeper for (at least) the first leg of the ECF.

17. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im of the opposite feeling. when issued a card, they should simultaneously hand you an iphone logged onto twitter, facebook and instagram...

Q*bert Jones III and iammrben repped this.
  18. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sheer entertainment value sure. I am worried and fine and additional suspension might exist. Least we have great back up in Willis.

19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did Hamid attack Martini? I can't recall if he was commentating on the play and Hamid overheard him or something?

20. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martini said the call was spot on and Hamid had nothing to stand on. Hamid questioned his eye sight on this analysis.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on twitter. Someone on staff should have kept him off his phone.
    I'd like to see a replay (has anyone see alternate angles?), but I thought it was a foul. It was a very tough play for Hamid. I don't know that I'd call it "classic Hamid" in any way. That can very often be how a play like that develops. Its something he should work on, but it was a good play by a veteran forward to make sure that contact happens. Again, something Hamid needs to work on, but not something that precludes him from being a very good goalie. I'm more disappointed in his mistake in the first leg. It'll be interesting to see what happens back in DC if Willis plays well in Houston.

22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm wondering did Hamid hear this directly from his mouth before he left the pitch? Or was he watching a TV in the locker room that had commentary, than got enraged and then tweeted?

23. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any official would not make that call. Roles reversed we'd demand the call.

By classic I mean Hamid plays so good and then something spoils the brilliant performance. Own goal, red card, these type of things are why so many people desperately want him to shine with his potential and just get past these silly mistakes.

I do believe he will be among the greats in this league, he just needs to learn from series like this to get there.

24. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Locker room, television, tweet.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red cards in successive matches by our two youngest players. I hope they mature quickly.