I'm in an abusive relationship with Bill Hamid.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Liam O'Malley, Jun 25, 2012.

1. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. As I stated earlier in the thread, imo (which I admit means next to nothing), Hamid is the (marginally) better keeper. I also think he is incredibly over-hyped and people make excuses for him. Why, I don't know, maybe it's the homegrown thing, or the Nats call ups.

He is young and has great potential because he has a big head start by playing professionally at such a young age. However, at this stage in their careers, there are many keepers I would rather have than Hamid, again in my admittedly amateurish perspective.

Jon Busch, Dan Kennedy, Matt Pickens, Andy Gruenebaum, Tally Hall, Joe Saunders, Nick Rimando, Jimmy Nielsen, if anyone was wondering.

Kevin Hartman and Joe Cannon might be a touch past it, but it's still a close call.

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Log off Big Soccer right now and get back to work, Mr. Kasper!

MagpieFan and DCUSA repped this.
  3. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the top 20 GK in MLS with a minimum 8 games played,

Hamid ranks number one in fewest goals per game and fewest goals per minute (Jimmy Nielsen has the same numbers). He also has the 2nd highest clean-sheet per game average (behind Jimmy Nielsen and tied with Joe Cannon)

I ain't much for stats, but Willis ain't the greener grass, don't know what you're smokin'.

4. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    So, your whole point is that Hamid is overrated?

As for that list of other MLS keepers, that's nice, but how is it relevant at all?

By the way, a quick glance at the salaries of the keepers you listed - Hamid makes somewhere less than half to 1/3 of all of them, save for Saunders and Gruenebaum.

He's young, he's cheap, his homegrown status still helps against the cap (I think), and leaving the nitpicking of his skillset aside, he's certainly good enough - even without accounting for his potential to grow and mature in the position.

Boloni86 repped this.
  5. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, giving up five against San Jose with duct tape defense will hurt the ol' goals against. Without that game, Willis has given up one more goal than Hamid in the same amount of minutes (that howler he gave up to Will Bruin, perhaps?).

Those stats aren't very compelling, but nevertheless, an 81% save percentage for Hamid (second best in the league from anyone who has played seven or more games) is very impressive.

So, well played.

6. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys really think those shots were too much for any keeper? Or do you just think I'm being overly critical, aka, a dick. One I understand completely, the other not at all.

7. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, are you feeling a bit psychic right now?

8. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I want to comment on Hamid but I must first HESITATE before I say......
    -
    -
    -
    -
    He sucks.

9. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    If you're in a relationship, time to start seeing other people.

Hamid truly fcked the team tonight. A top flight keeper doesn't do that, and the team deserves better.

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Hamid has the natural talent but he's young. He's not mentally ready to be a top keeper. He has plenty of time to learn the mental part of the game. Hell he has 10 years until the time goalies usually peak.

11. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    If he's our goalie he needs to learn pretty damned quick. Remember Louis Crayton? He was plenty athletic but had the maturity of an 8 year old.

Bill needs to coffee up. If I were his teammate I'd be fuming. Lord knows what Ben will say, but I'm guessing it will not be nice.

12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    That's why I like Willis better -- no drama. Not the same athletic upside, but much more mature. You need smart, settled keepers like Onstad was, or ********ing lunatics like Jon Busch. You just don't need cement heads holding down the only position on the field that has the luxury of seeing the entire game before him.

13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm not saying Hamid shouldn't be held accountable. His play tonight wasn't a case of an honest mistake, or a fluke. It was a case of genuine mental laziness and lack of awareness. I'm perfectly fine with the pendulum swinging back to Willis for the time being. After all Willis was benched for less after the San Jose game. Willis's is mistakes in that San Jose game were not mental, they were just the fact that he was a split second too slow on a couple of shots that were saveable.

What I do roll my eyes at is the statement that Hamid "sucks". The guy has more natural talent than most goalies his age. He also seems to have good character which means he should improve his game as he gets older and more experienced.

mcontento repped this.
  14. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is twice now for Hamid, also last year in the Toronto game. Mental lapse, may have cost the points and these could be big. Hopefully he will learn and stay on his feet.

Like Willis did, also in the first half, almost the exact same situation and place on the field. Willis stayed on his feet, Kandji dribbled around him, Willis scampered back into goal and nothing came of it. Even if Kandji scores, there's no red and it's still a game.

15. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Crayton is also 13 years older than Hamid. When Crayton was here, he was 30+ years old. Bill is 21.

16. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.... ....

... ugh.

17. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Louis Crayton, the most interesting goalkeeper in the world, will be bad-mouthed no further or you will face my wrath. Consider yourself warned.

18. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have a good night? Another trip to the emergency room and filing for a protective order that you never intend to enforce. Good times.

Winoman and skippy repped this.
  19. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much agree with this assessment. The kid's got talent, but needs a little more seasoning and maturity before he becomes a real top talent. My only worry for him earlier was that some of the accolades he got early on this season and end of last may have gotten to his head a bit in the way they did for Bobby Boswell a few years ago, but the way he handled being back up to Willis restored my faith that Onstad and Olsen are grooming him the right way.

He'll make mistakes, no doubt, and as a United fan I don't have the patience to wait 10 years for him to be great, we need good to great now. Whether it is him or Willis (or someone else) doesn't matter as long as they help us win now. Maybe another game or two on the bench (or 5 if Willis is in the zone) after the suspension is served will help him grow and help us this year and next. But if Willis is our best option now for the rest of the campaign then I'm all for that too, regardless of what it does to Hamid's transfer value this season.

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Hamid reacted too late, and then compounded the error by dropping to his left side rather than his right. If Kandji had tripped over Bill's torso while Bill was trying to stop the ball with his arms/hands the ref might not have pulled out the red. As it was, a red was proper for the leg whip.

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Everyone that knows me knows that I love numbers and I gotta say, you all are just being dumb with your overreactions. Let's check the stats about Hamid vs. Willis again from the Houston game:

Hamid: 0 GA
    Willis: 4 GA

It amazes me that anyone with vision good enough to post here can overlook that obvious barometer of aptitude.

22. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    My Sarcasmotron Z-5 is shaking and smoking like crazy.

skippy repped this.
  23. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    These stats tell a better story, I think:

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/mls/teamstats.asp?team=5

Code:
                  MP    Min    GA  GAA  PA  PKF  PK SvPct  Svs  SHT  SHT-OG  SPct  CS  YC    RC
    Joe Willis    10    881    18    1.84    2    2    0.0    29    140    47    61.7    2    0    0
    Bill Hamid    10    827    8    0.87    0    0    -    41    136    50    83.7    4    1    1
    Totals       19    -    26    1.37    0    0    -    70    276    97    72.9    6    1    1

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    You should get the Z-6. It runs on electricity instead of coal power.

25. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion Hamid is among the top 5 goalies in the league. Other than this play I can't think of any glaring mistakes I've seen Hamid make this season, and I can think of a number of big saves he's made. He's improved so much from last season, and he's only gonna get better.

Also something that is not to be underestimated is that the defense seems to be MUCH more organized under Hamid than under Willis. I'm not a goalkeeping expert, but it just seems to be the case to me. Hamid is also a lot more vocal than Willis.

I'm comfortable with both goalies, but to me Hamid is clearly the starter.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.