I'm from country X and want to play Soccer in the US (trials, etc)

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by jeroen, Sep 8, 2003.

1. joersede

joersede New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I´m still in Spain...

2. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well where are you planning to move to?

3. joersede

joersede New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don´t mind were to move to, I´ll move to a city were I can play soccer. I haven´t planned where and when to move, because firstly I need to know some things, like the real possibilities of being paid for playing soccer...

4. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. joersede

joersede New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don´t mind the salary, I just want to earn enough to life. Which is the way to contact a team in the USA?

6. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine just go to New York and see which team you can get a try out for. There a ton of teams for all the lower tiers and the Rochester Rhinos (third tier) encourage interviews with the coaches and players after practices. That'd be a stellar time to ask.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Soccer_Pyramid

7. ganderif

ganderif Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just go to a team website, find a number, call it and ask them about trying out.

8. teeskos

teeskos New Member

Feb 20, 2012
    good choice

9. joersede

joersede New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Does anyone knows any team which may need a player?

10. ganderif

ganderif Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said I would try the San Antonio Scorpions, but you need to act quick because the season is about to start.

11. joersede

joersede New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Sorry, I am not from the USA, I am spanish.

12. TheBigO

TheBigO New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Northern Kentucky
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next season go to Portland, Oregon and go to the Timbers open tryouts. Portland has an amazing spanish community and they have open tryouts to the public. Go crazy!

13. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  14. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Every MLS team have open tryout at least once a year at least they used to. You have to send them your player resume and get an agent. You may be able to contact the USSF in Chicago they may be of help to you.

15. lnicholson29

lnicholson29 Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i want to go study in the US for university but sport is alot bigger in the us than the uk. for example my 6th form school have sports team but there is no league its just a season of organised friendlies on the school field. not stadiums etc. If i managed to get into an american uni what are the chances of getting onto their soccer team? or are the people on the teams at a high athletes level?

16. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Clint Dempsey played college soccer, as did Brad Friedel, and Brian McBride. But, it really depends at the school you that you are attending. Some large schools only field intramural teams, in which basically anybody can play on. Most schools have higher level varsity program where you have to be recruited or selected to play. Check with the university that you plan to attend to see what the have to offer and any tryouts they have.

17. rikicasal88

rikicasal88 New Member

Apr 16, 2012
    casalmaggiore italy
    Club:
    AC Milan
    hi, i saw that you can help me, i m italian and as the other i want to try to play in USA, and i want to come there this summer, but i need some help.
    i want to play in a pro, semi-pro or college team.
    i am 23 and i evre play soccer since i was 6, i really want to play in USA, is my dream and if you can help me please help me.
    thanks

18. sikesy7

sikesy7 Member

Bayern München
    United States
    Aug 6, 2012
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all you people asking to play soccer... if your really that good you would have been scouted and recruited.. you can't just go up to the la galaxy and ask to play with landon donovan or david beckham... if your really serious about playing soccer you'll apply to college wait and see if you get in and then try to try out for the college team.. from there if your good enough the teams will find you and draft you, not the other way around.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Team do have trials, so there more ways than just college.

How to get into a trial, now that is another question, I am not sure.

20. cuetip

cuetip New Member

Aug 20, 2012
    henryetta oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man u should let me come up there and try out.. im missing the whole soccer thing

soccersubjectively repped this.
  21. sikesy7

sikesy7 Member

Bayern München
    United States
    Aug 6, 2012
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best comment so far... that's how I feel reading all these post

22. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    L
    As far as I know the Galaxy only have trials for the academy teams, so you have to be young.

Honestly, MLS is on par with the bottom of the table La Liga teams or second division in Germany. I'm not sure how someone from Europe thinks they can walk on to an MLS team.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we do get guys from D2 Argentina and D2 Mexico coming to MLS, so I would not be so sure about your statement, plus they are not saying they are going to walk into the starting lineup, The fire does have a few players on trial, I know Alex was on trial for a while in the pre-season, then he was purchased from his team in Switzerland (may have come over free of charge, not sure).

Some dude that played in England D4 – D5 may be good enough for a spot in the roster and a few reserve games. The drop in quality in MLS from top 3-4 to starting 11 to bench to 28th men on the roster can be huge.

PS. Last year some kid that played in Greece lower levels did make the team (even played in a game or two if I remember correctly). Pentapolopolis or something like that. Shit our back up GK was playing in Italy lower leagues, not sure if D2 or D3.

24. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of those guys find our how to go about the process from bigsoccer? Believe me, I have no doubt that there are guys playing third division in Europe who could play in MLS. I just think MLS screens resumes before they let people try out. I'm not sure how many "walk on" tryouts exist. I guess Portland.

25. lnicholson29

lnicholson29 Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a question. One of the UK university's i am looking at offers a year abroad to study in north america, including the californian university's and others. Do the university's have football teams that you can try out for or are all the players scouted?