I'm better suited to Real or Inter than Blackburn!!11!1! (Other teams thread) [R]

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Dec 13, 2010.

1. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: I'm better suited to Real or Inter than Blackburn!!11!1! (Other teams thread)

So, Carroll gets himself sold for 35mil, muffs a dive that sets up a crucial win for us, then scores Liverpool into the cup final thereby all but assuring us a spot somewhere in Europe.

Is it time to give him secret agent status?

2. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: I'm better suited to Real or Inter than Blackburn!!11!1! (Other teams thread)

Hopefully this relieves some pressure and just lets the guys get out there and go for broke.

3. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well Carroll achieved his boyhood dream of scoring the goal that puts us in Europe. It's still not properly sunk in that next season we'll be playing in Europe (barring some sort of massive collapse) one more win and we can't finish worse than 6th. Good times, and as TD says hopefully this takes some of the pressure off and we can push for fourth. I've still seen a lot of the pundits talking about 4th without properly mentioning us. Why have they done this all season? Is there an '*' next to us in the table that I can't see?

On the subject of other teams though... Ashley Young is a horrible diving cheat. Watch as the British media don't take him to task on it as they would with Suarez/any other foreigner doing the exact same thing:

[​IMG]

4. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raylor flamed him on twitter before deleting the post. Pity.

5. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I heard he said something about him being the biggest cheat in the English game?

It'll be interesting to see how the new rules being applied to Chelsea affects our hopes of top four. Seemingly offsides don't count and there's a new "close enough" rule to scoring.

6. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The odds of keeping up with Tottenham for 4th place are slim. They have the easiest last four matches I've ever seen, while we face Chelsea and Man City. I'll celebrate when we clinch Europa League.

7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how they're doing it but looks like Wigan are going to pull it off yet again. If we beat Stoke like we should this weekend we'll be two points off third.

I know Spurs have the "easier" run-in but their form is so abysmal at the minute I'm not sure it matters who they're playing. Similarly, we've done so well that we feel like we can get points off anyone. If QPR get a result against them this weekend I honestly think we're favorites for fourth.

But with the way Wigan are playing, that might be our toughest test in the last five!

8. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gonna be a fun ride.

9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Four points should accomplish that.

Thx,

Jay!

10. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spurs run in does look easy on paper, QPR (A) - Blackburn (H) - Bolton (A) - Villa (A) - Fulham (H). However there are no easy games in the Premier League particularly at this point of the season. The easiest games should be against teams who have nothing to play for, the teams in the relegation zone aren't walkovers especially when they're fighting for their lives. QPR seem to play better against the bigger sides too.

Wigan only start playing in April apparently and having beaten Man Yoo and Arsenal now, and were robbed of at least a point at Stamford Bridge, we'll have to be on it when we play them. They're the PL's turd that just won't flush.

For us a lot could depend on whether City are still in the title race when they come here on the penultimate weekend of the season.

4 points should wrap up 6th, but since Everton go to Old Trafford on Sunday I'd think we're there if we get three points against Stoke. We could also do with Arsenal beating Chelsea.

11. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seems as though the wheels are coming off at Spurs, I know Redknapp is the media's lap-dog because of the amount of bullshit he gives them to fill their papers, but now there are reports that he's lost the dressing room. Apparently Adebayor refused to play against QPR, and he also had arguments with Kyle Walker, Kaboul and Lennon. None of it will feature in the press too much though.

Hopefully it continues but I wish they'd all f*ck off with the "speculation about the England job is hurting Spurs' season." It's such a cop-out excuse.

Its nice to know that we're in fourth and its all in our own hands. Hopefully we get the win against Wigan next weekend. Seeing City lose the derby next Monday would also be good for us, City would then come to our place effectively out of the title race. If we win our game in hand we're joint third. Crazy season.

13. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they cannot be eliminated, I would be just as happy to see City beat their rivals with all those glory hunting fans. I used to be adamantly opposed to clubs that want to buy the trophy, but since Chelsea has already done it recently, why not City?

The lads will have to humble at least one of the overspenders to have a chance, but fortunately that can happen even if they don't come here demoralized. There is no easy path to the top four.

14. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Barca blew it. :mad:

Up to Bayern or Real (preferably Bayern) to avoid the potential doomsday scenario.

15. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However if Chelsea win the Champions League it is possible for us to get third and keep both Arsenal and Spurs out. That seems more like a dream scenario than doomsday.

16. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beating Arsenal out will require us taking 10 points out of the last four games and/or Stoke beating them. Feasible but I'm not banking on that.

17. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well done to Chelsea, however for the final they'll still have to get past Real or Bayern, and do it without Terry, Meireles, Ivanovic and Ramires, plus injuries to Cahill and Luiz (depending on how serious they are). It'll be interesting to see how Chelsea do in the league now, since they have two cup finals to focus on.

Although it would be just our club's luck to be the first team to finish in the top four and not get CL football.

Regarding catching Arsenal, we're level on points with them if we beat Wigan, of course our last three games are going to be the real test, plus the goal difference is like an extra point for Arsenal.

18. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not holding my breath for third. But Chelsea winning it all and us nipping third to leave Arsenal and the Spurs out of it would probably cause one of the greatest meltdowns of Arsenal fans ever. I'd definitely make some popcorn and head over to the Arsenal boards that day!

19. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they'll drop points against Stoke, as those kinds of teams have generally given them trouble in the past. Not to mention Stoke are really good at home (except when they're playing us). Can't see them dropping anything against Norwich, though WBA away could be tricky, even on the last day of the season.

20. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal 3-3 Norwich. It's in our hands now, for the moment at least.

21. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nile Ranger helped the Owls earn automatic promotion to the Championship. It must be that work ethic and winning mentality he learned in Newcastle. ;)

22. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I thought we had a mention somewhere regarding the new racism claims against Emre.

It appears that Zokora has taken justice into his own hands, or feet as it were.

Thx,

Jay!

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  23. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yellow? Wow!

24. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reactions in the crowd are delayed. There's two guys who just sort of raise their hand, then at the very end of the clip you see this one sort of put his hand to his mouth with this, "oh, god..." reaction.

25. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this on my blog and was coming here to post this. We had a running battle for weeks about his comments in the Everton match when Tim Howard called him out for racist comments.

Emre let's it slip again.