I'm a beginning cyclist, and I seek advice

Discussion in 'Cycling' started by superdave, Aug 6, 2010.

1. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two out of the last three days the morning leg of my daily commute has been 14° and 18°. Layers and neoprene shoe covers made for a comfortable ride.

You can do it.

2. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find covering your mouth with something like a hankerchief really helps when it gets that cold.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I have a neoprene face mask, fleece-lined on the inside that I wear skiing. Yes, helps cut the wind-chill significantly.

4. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wear a balaclava that covers my mouth.

You're right, breathing through something beats sucking in freezing air.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a bike that had 5 thick, presumably carbon spokes in the front tire. Looked very, very cool.
    :D

I'm a cheap bastard, so that's not quite my plan. My son turns 11 in January, so he's got a chance to hit a growth spurt fairly soon. I'll hand mine down to him, which will force me to get a new one.

The thing that really turned bike riding into my bliss is the combination of riding on the greenway, so I don't have to worry about getting killed by a car, and wearing my mp3 player. It's the best thing I've found of the sort since I stopped playing basketball at the Y for 3 hours. Which happened 20 years ago.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a part of Raleigh's greenway that's 4.6 miles out, so it's a little over 9 miles round trip. I'd set a goal of doing 3 laps. Yesterday, I did it!!!
    But lemme tell ya, the last 6 miles or so was NOT bliss. It wasn't so much that I was out of energy. I was, but I just decided to fight through and go, like, 12-13 mph instead of 14.

What was tough was the lower back pain. I stopped a couple of times and just reached for the sky, and that worked for the next ~4 miles. I think I either need to get a riser for my handlebars so they're a couple inches higher, or maybe get one of those combo handlebar thingies, where you can grip like a comfort bike, or lean forward. I'll consult with my chiro in case he knows anything about this.

Still, the feeling of accomplishment was great. I couldn't really feel my thighs, they were just spend. I haven't been riding much due to the weather, and my basic plan was to get ~22 miles. I did 2 "laps" and felt pretty good, so I decided to shoot for 25 altogether. And then I thought, don't be a pu$$y David, just go that extra mile "out." You'll get back to your car. You don't want to get close like that and not get it.

I guess the next goal should be 1/3 century, right?

7. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats! Sorry to hear about your back hurting, though. Did you have your bike fitted by a pro at your lbs when you bought it? That might make a difference. Sounds like your seat post might not be the right height. Also, if you're carrying a little too much weight around your midsection you might notice it in your lower back.

In any event, congratulations on the milestone. Keep it up!

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Could also just be his body is pissed off at him. Takes some work to get the body used to it.

9. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mileage goal for 2010 was 3,000 miles and I made it with 1 mile to spare. I'm not sure I'll make it out today as the forecast calls for freezing rain.

Hope it clears up tomorrow for the New Year's Day Penguin Ride. Should be around 22° with 16 mph winds. Ah, lovely.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got out before the weather started turning and got in an hour ride. This will be the last ride of 2010. 3,014 miles is the final total.

December 2009, January and February 2010 were terrible weatherwise and I only managed 157 miles. I managed 296 miles for December 2010 and hope January and February 2011 will be a bit more accommodating.

Goal for 2011 is 3,500.

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Congrats. You've about doubled me. Did not get out this fall - at all. May try tomorrow to do a three mile loop at the NYS office campus several times.

12. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Year's Penguin Ride today. Temp is 22°, wind 17 mph, wind chill 8°. Ought to be "brisk". :)

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I've been noticing is that if I go on a long ride, 1 1/2 hours or more, in cold weather, I feel chilled for a couple of HOURS afterward, until/unless I do something drastic like get under the bed blanket while wearing a couple of layers.

Is this normal? Is there a way to avoid it?

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    very normal (at least compared to me). Don't know the scientific reason. I feel that way in the summer, even on really hot days. I'll finish a ride, jump in the pool or shower and then put on a long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt.

15. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Circulation issue?

Are you cooling down when you come home with some dynamic stretching and movement exercises?

Or, are you just getting off the bike and plopping down into a static position until you get some energy back?

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[sheepish grin]

OK, once I finish, I do stretch for a minute or two, but I guess nothing like what I need to do.

17. AnxietyCoachJohn

AnxietyCoachJohn Red Card

Nov 23, 2010
    Santa Monica,CA
    thanks for this thread now i know what to wear and to do.. I'm a big fan of cycling and i love to bike ... really thanks for that advice ;D

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lifestyle changes are making an indoor trainer more attractive. What should I be looking for?

19. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Some things that you might want to consider

Do you want rollers or a trainer?

-Noise factor. Some can be very noisy
    -Overheating. Will you need to get some fans to direct on the trainer itself?
    -Warranties
    -How does it feel? Is it too rigid for you if you care or does it have a more natural movement?

Unfortunately they are not cheap, but some of the online dealers do have sales or discounts. Will let you know if I see any.

I use a Kurt Kinetic, which I quite like. Not very noisy and I have not had any issues with overheating
    http://www.kurtkinetic.com/

Some other popular ones
    Cycleops
    http://www.cycleops.com/products.html

Lemond Revolution
    http://www.lemondfitness.com/product_detail/465/lemond-revolution?gclid=CKuv46OhkqcCFQO8Kgod3GZ9dw

There are a few youtube vids out there as well on these products.

20. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I have the Cyleops Mag (about $175). Trainers are nice for spinning, but are somewhat limited vs. what you can do in a spin class or rollers.

Would like to get some rollers.

22. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    About the only benefit I get out of my trainer anymore is pure cardio and that's it. Rollers are fun and do wonders for your balance but the first few times I got on them was pretty dodgy but once you are in a groove it's a blast.

23. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are good rollers cheaper than a good trainer?

Will I need to use the rollers near a wall or something? How bad am I going to bust ass? :D

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't answer. He is not a beginning cyclist.