If you think playing in the Alamodome is a bad idea...

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Apr 14, 2005.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because not being in New York is likely to cost them a lot more than paying rent in Giants Stadium.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We now know Bud Selig's BigSoccer ID.

However, I do believe that MLB has no business expanding again. Now that Washington has its team, it's reached the point now that there is no market in North America without an MLB team where you can say that it would be a sure-fire success in that market. Every prospective market is too small or too crowded or not rich enough.

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/schedule/index.jsp?year=2004

2004 coming off a MLS Cup, with Donovan on the team, home opener on a saturday against Chicago

attendance: 8,230

next game - Adu - 17k (LA drew 27k the week before, Met 31k the week after; other 1st Adu away games 31k Colorado, 19k NE, 25k CHI, 13k Dallas, 26k KC, 23k C'Bus)
    2 games later - 7,522

things improved, but it's not like he was totally making something up

4. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    how dare you be off by 230 people

5. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well don't let facts get in the way... ;)

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the same logic you can say the Quakes should stay because they sell out their stadium and the Colorado Rapids are a runaway success because they draw crowds of 60,000.

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh. Right. Bad is envied by Worse. Didn't think of it that way;)

8. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Interesting dynamic in San Antonio.

A bunch of folks with huge chips on their shoulders related to Dallas and Houston and their sports teams.

A very big chip on their shoulders related to youth soccer.

The interesting thing about the city is that it has a very low per capita income. It is going to be interesting to see if they try to make this a relatively cheap ticket to get lots of folks in the stands. it is going to be an interesting test market.

San Antonio also was one of the first "one sport" team cities around with the Spurs in the ABA. They are going to do this right, and the whole city is going to be behind them, unlilke, say, Dallas, where the city essentially let Frisco FC get away.

And now I have an excuse to visit my parents when FC Dallas plays there!

9. Harvest FC

Harvest FC New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Napa, CA
    Not according to Don Garber in the NY Post 3/15/05

"MLS commissioner Don Garber said the league can exist without a team in New York, but can't survive with an unsuccessful one in New York. And with the Metros losing two to three times as much as any other MLS club due to a horrid lease deal, they'll be unsuccessful as long as they stay at Giants Stadium."

10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    that's called negotiating and making an empty threat

though at some point enough will be enough. I don't think we're close yet.

11. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Fire fans never did that?

12. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I agree, Dallas has struggled, I am not sure two teams is such a good idea, but SA sounds okay, but 3?

That's just asking for problems.

Don't bring up California, the Galaxy is the best team, business wise, and Chivas is still up in the air.

MLS needs to calm down on making promises on expansion cities, let's wait and see how things work out for the next two seasons.

13. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    For that kind of lease, you'll have to deal with it. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth.

14. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    If you weren't an FC Delay man, I'd rep you.

15. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold on a minute! Dallas' attendance was very strong until they did two things: unloaded almost all of the popular Latino players at the same time they moved to Southlake's joke of a field which was impossible to find or get to. Prior to all of that, the attendance was getting very strong, and closing in on 20,000 average. Add the new Frisco stadium, which will be easy to get to on the tollway, and attendance should be strong, especially since there is a new hispanic flair to the team (Ruiz, Nunez, Pareja, etc.).

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Please find me the string of Dallas home games that had attendance averages anywhere near 20K. To the best of my knowledge, they don't exist.

17. Soccer&Sinatra

Soccer&Sinatra Red Card

Jan 13, 2005
    Umm try next Spring. And it will probably be at KCs expense according to my sources.

SJ has a better organized sppporters group that is working hard on a deal to keep the team there.
    Kansas City has a bunch of people on the list saying stuf like "whats going on with the team?"

You use your logic.

Frankie

18. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow, you must have a really good source. I better start packing my bags. Thanks for the "logic" lesson there. Here's some more. When people talk out of their ass like you, they look like morons.

19. Harvest FC

Harvest FC New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Napa, CA
    I realize the statement was part of the negotiation. I also think this deal with San Antonio is part of it.

I am not saying SJ and KC are not the prime candidates to be moved to San Antonio, just that the Metros are not untouchable and have to be seriously considered part of the relocation to San Antonio conversation if Harrison or new lease terms can't be worked out.

20. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    [​IMG]
    The "box shape" of the AlamoDome may actually add to soccer intimacy. This shot sure doesn't make it seem like a cavernous 60,000 seater.

21. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Try posting that pic again, I can't see it.

22. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

Oops. Give this site a few hits. Wisconsin Band at the "Alamo Bowl." Plenty of inside stadium shots:

http://uwband.dyndns.org/pics/2002/alamo/alamobowl-03.shtml

23. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    http://www.psjanband.com/Pictures/2003 AlamoDome/IMG_0001.JPG

The above picture (a little big, IMHO, to post directly) is a good one, because it gives you a feel for what the decks look like from ground level. You'll also notice how much wider they could make the pitch than the football field. As well, notice the tarp covering a section of the upper deck. Perhaps not a bad idea to put those up for all of it.

Here's couple more shots of those tarps.

http://www.psjanband.com/Pictures/2003 AlamoDome/IMG_0023.JPG

[​IMG]

I must say as someone who went to several spurs games, at both 'regular capacity' of 20k or so and 'increased capacity' for big games or promo games, the tarping off of the upper deck was not very distracting. the real distraction was curtaining off half of the floor space.

Now, one of the two did do a lot to deaden the sound, but I really don't know which one. A possibly comparable strucure, Atlanta's Georgia Dome, seems pretty much like a mausoleum even when 75% full, but then it seats at least 10-12k more people, and has a roof made of plexiglass, so that may have something to do with it.

24. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    There is arguably more of an Irish flair, since Pareja is going to get limited playing time, and Nunez won't get significant playing time by Clarke for awhile.

Frisco doesn't need Hispanic fans, and may not even want them.

Just being realistic.