NSR: "If you can't join them, beat them...literally."

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by ForeverRed, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerMIGermany

SoccerMIGermany Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    OC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sons of Anarchy tonight. Been watching for a while. Also a surprisingly well written and well acted show.

1 person likes this.
  2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    RIP Steve Jobs. :(

3. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Word. I think Apple has made many useful things. His death like his products was ahead of it's time....

4. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said Squid.

When I watch Tron I think of Steven Jobs.

That sounded dirty. Wasn't meant to be.

5. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think I should watch Tron too.

(Meant in a non-dirty way, of course)

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    His products along with being ahead of his time are also the most overpriced and rip offs off their time as well.

Either way RIP to him.

7. cwcoach18

cwcoach18 Member+

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    SV Waldhof Mannheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You pay for quality. By the time you have to replace one of his products you have gone through 3 of the others so you end up coming out on top if you don't by into the hype machine and feel like you have to upgrade your phone/laptop/ipod/ipad every time the newest version comes out.

I feel that I have come out on top $$$$wise with the Apple products I have purchased. I just take care of them and hold on to them for a while.

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have 2 expensive Apple products, but I feel the sheep like quality selling they go for which reels in so many is irritating along with some disgusting customer service regarding warranties have put me off.

In my line of work, I have to have a macbook/Mac so I have a great piece of hardware however the money extra that you pay for is not worth. Imo Macs in particular have a great simplistic feature and that they do not get as many viruses, otherwise they are twice (literally) the amount of money you could get for a laptop. The Apple iPhone fiasco itself also is the best example of money whoring I've ever seen, though they deserve their props for getting people to get a new one every single time.

9. terrypk1

terrypk1 Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    because by the time the new one comes out, your old one would have being dying one way or the other (battery, hard drive damange, softwall conflicts...) LOL
    They timed it well.
    To say apple is quality is nonesense. Their ipod breaks all the time and never last more than 2 years without the batteries dying first. Their macbook has less problems than windows because less than 1% of the virus that's in circulation on a daily basis is mac oriented. Their programing has just as many flaws as windows.
    Lastly, I want you to think of all the workers who actually have DIED on the production line of apple products to provide you with affordable products. (Till now, there are about 20 people who have died on the production line by working days and night. and many developed urinary track problems as they have to hold their pee to continue working on the production line)

1 person likes this.
  10. cwcoach18

cwcoach18 Member+

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    SV Waldhof Mannheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I guess I have been extremely lucky. I have owned 2 ipods in 10 years. No issues. I got the second not because my other one was dying but because it was time to upgrade.

Yes there are flaws as far as programming goes. But that is inherent to programming mostly and because it is produced for mass consumption. What is however miles better is the user friendliness of mac products over windows. Imo ipods are not overpriced. that is less of an investment anyhow and really a consumable good. A good walkman and a good discman cost abou the same in the old days and broke down just as much. Just happens to stuff you carry around all the time. there are dropped, sat on, spilled on, etc...

As far as PC's and laptops, mine used to slow down much faster, battery would have to be replaced, and HD failures would occur frequently. Not so much with Mac's. And that had nothing to do with viruses since I was always cautious and had the best protection money could buy. On scan I maybe got rid of a handful viruses in over 10 years. I still went through 1 computer every 2 years. So it ended up being the same or more money. Plus operating systems are much more expensive on PC's or to upgrade.

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Overpriced? Yes? Quality Products? You bet. Apple and Steve Jobs set the standard. Everyone else followed.

12. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not that big of a fan of Apple even though I have 2 iPods (touch and nano). While I think their products are good, they certainly are not always top-notch and the best technology available, which is ok as long as the product fulfills a need that others cant compete with (had 3 non apple mp3 players before and I was not really amused by them). However in terms of mobile phone, or laptop/PC I never saw Apple worthwile to buy over others that offer comparable or even better tech for my purposes to a better pricepoint

13. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Steve Jobs was a ego-maniacal asshole. Not a fan of him or his products, but it is a shame for his friends and family that he died at such a young age.

2 people repped this.
  14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perfectly put

15. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Genie und Wahnsinn liegen nah beieinander" as we say it in Germany

different topic: I can totally recommend the newest Deus Ex. Worthy successor to the classic that came out years ago. I'm already 29 hours in and haven't killed a single person (except for the 2 boss fights so far, the only thing were you don't have a choice)

16. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am really fighting the urge to buy this before it is on a steam sale. I hope I can because I am sure it will be a great deal during the Christmas steam sale.

17. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can understand that as I couldn't resist any longer and I was bored anyway. But in the end 25€ were a good deal for a Deus Ex HR Steamkey.

18. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I played Deus Ex: Human Revelations a few weeks ago and I enjoyed the smartest and most interesting story a computer game displayed in many years. This game definitely had Game of the Year in it but multi platform development (look at witcher 2 how much more a PC can do nowadays) and more importantly the banal last level in combination with the for me unsatisfying ending spoiled the experience a bit. And god damn it you developers I wanted a "chat" with the girl after I saved her. You morons! :D

19. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Its still $50(38€) for the Steamkey here so I think I can still wait. I've got Skyrim coming soon and I still haven't finished Fallout:NV so I can hopefully keep myself busy until December.

20. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Multi-platform development is a necessary evil these days. At least it wasn't developed for console and then ported. In a perfect world every game would be developed for the PC first. :)

21. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wouldn't say that. Good developers can do multiplat without sacrificing either platform. But more often than not devs do / have to do a a crappy port and shoehorn a title for a platform that it wasn't even designed for in the first place. Other times the port just gets outsourced to earn some quick bucks to a smaller dev that has to learn the code first. Exclusiveness certainly does not save a title from stupid design decisions. The already mentioned Witcher 2 illustrates this. Combat still sucks and is hugely based on luck, potions that you have to drink before you know which enemy you face, no storage for all the loot and crafting stuff (they had to patch one in later on)

22. SoccerMIGermany

SoccerMIGermany Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    OC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Platform actually seems a pretty minor factor to me where games are concerned. Some of the best games I have played from the past still hold up as great games. Many multi-plat games are awesome. Lots of platform-exclusive games suck. I've played as many bad games that were designed as vehicles for superior graphics or AI as I have games that were spoiled by bad ports or graphic glitches.When platform becomes an issue it's usually something like the CoD:MW port for the Wii where the hardware just could not run the game and the controller was not suited to navigating the game environment.

If the game sucks even the best platform in the world can't save it.

Other thing in favor of multi-platform...I can't effectively teach a class that uses a AAA videogame title as a text unless it is multi-platform. Students are too spread out across platforms to give them access otherwise.

23. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hey DI, I think I remember seeing someone using your username playing Red Orchestra a long time ago, have u played Red Orchestra 2? talk about disappointment. worst sequel ever!!!

24. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, but that wasn't me. You can see me occassionally play Team Fortress 2

25. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Human Revolution seems like a game that I will buy, most definitely. I am a bit out of cash until January, so I will likely be able to afford only one game (new) until Christmas. :(

I personally cannot wait for Uncharted 3, the previous felt like you were playing a movie, or were in a movie. :S And then after that it's Human Revolution, FIFA 12, & Dark Souls in no specific. I wasn't planning on getting F12 but I've heard good things about it, so I am changing my mind.