If they take out the chiva name will you still support this team?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by U.S Chiva, Apr 5, 2012.

1. U.S Chiva

U.S Chiva Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Salinas California/Denver, CO
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was wondering if taking out the chivas name, and lets say the team was renamed "Club Deportivo Los Angeles" or sothing to the extend, will you still support this team?
    I was wondering because thats the first reason I choose to follow this team. Other than the name, I had no connections to this team (as I'am from Northern California). Most of the poster we have(like 2 or 3 :), are chivas gdl followers, but we also have those that arent. So my concern is if we will loose any fans or gain more fans?

As for me after a few years supporting this team, I feel that the chivas brand has no more effect on me supporting this team, I think if the name changes I will still support the new name. For me is more of supporting the team on not the name. Before Chivas came to the MLS I found it hard to even watch the Earthquakes or even the Galazy. Now I follow MLS every damm week. sad but true.

What is your hypothesis on the general public support?

Will the legion still support the team? Even tough most of them stoped showing up to the games, I still see a few showing up to the games, which makes me think some of them actually care about the team and not the name.

2. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not nor was ever a fan of any of the teams from Mexico. Chivas meant nothing to me before and means a lot more now but its all about Chivas USA.

If a name chance would bring in fans that are ANTI Chivas Guad, then I am all for it, if it wont then why change.

I will support the team no matter the name.

3. dino1er

dino1er Member

Jun 5, 2009
    east side of la
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you said, i will support this club no matter the name. We will always be the club of the Pueblo/people.

4. U.S Chiva

U.S Chiva Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That could be a good name(Deportivo Pueblo Nuevo)

5. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    I feel like even if we changed the name I would still thinking of them as the Chivas. I do like CD Los Angeles though and their nickname could still be chivas. Name still has a meaning to me but I wont stop following them

6. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my CLUB no matter what they name it. All I ask is for our beautiful city to be included in the name. As it stands, we are the ONLY pro sports team in the United States that lacks a hometown name.

7. dino1er

dino1er Member

Jun 5, 2009
    east side of la
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^ This we need to have Los Angeles in the name.

8. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    all i know is that if i was an elite athlete with options, i wouldn't want to play for a team that's built off a mother club (nor do i think the mother club would let it happen without them getting first dibs on the player). what's that do for me? its unattractive to prospective signings - if they're signing with the off-shoot club, it makes it feel like you're signing with a 2nd division squad. sad, but true.

i mean, we're in freaking sunny los angeles. the epicenter of glitz and fame. elite talent should be flocking here, right? what was the biggest name ever rumored to be coming here? (has to have been a legitimate rumor and no, chivas guad players dont count. *cough* jorge barrera *cough*).

9. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If the name Chivas USA is replaced..I have no problem with that I would still support the club to me and to a lot of fans it would always be Chivas no matter what is named -Club deportivo Los Angeles de California-
    What I would dislike and would make me doubt is if the club changes completely (colors, crest, and philosophy) the crest can have some minor modifications nothing big we know what needs/could be to change
    If I would fallow a club I have to have some type of connection with it… I WOULD NOT SUPPORT just because tickets are cheaper that the other LA team
    Once a Chiva always a Chiva !

10. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way I stop supporting this team is if they packed up and left LA in the middle of the night in Mayflower trucks. Or if the second coming of Georgia Frontiere inherited the team with a dastardly plan to relocate to St. Louis.

11. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Yeah, I'm all for having LA in the name. Good point about prospective players wanting to come to so califas but not wanting to come to a B side team. But...in latin america it is not uncommon to have clubs named after other clubs like Epanyol, Barcelona (in ecuador) , various boca teams, two river plates, various santos teams, the list goes on and on. I love having chivas colors and crest (although the crest should be modified to have the LA county seal in it). To me this team will always be chivas. Until they change the name colors, moniker and mascot , this is my team. ARRIVA LAS CHIVAS!!!!

12. hovz1105

hovz1105 Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Westside
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The name chivas usa is incredibly stupid. It's a name I dare not speak aloud. I am basically with any sane fan and say I would love to have the City name apart of the team name. Common sense, really.

To glom off the Chivas name is incredibly stupid and a poor marketing strategy which has obviously failed in spades. I wold go on but this has been spoken about since day 1 here, i assume.

The only way i'll stop caring is if the team goes the Orange County or to any of the other cities Trolls claim they are moving to San Diego... Phoenix... whatever the new troll move is.

What philosophy? "Exploiting Chivas Guad Fans in L.A. since 2004" I don't think it's too catchy.

13. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I met with Shawn Hunter (ex-Chivas USA partner) a few years ago before he left. He said to me, "I don't think the Chivas name helps us nor do I think it hurts us." Can't get more ambigous than that.

Given the dwindling attendance and the poor record of our club since Preki got fired, the Chiva name limits us. It limits our fanbase. It limits our potential for growth. It hurts our own credibility within the league.

If by now, we haven't been able to establish a winning/successful product, then all should be considered.
    Reinventing the wheel has not helped. Adding Los Angeles to the name and a more obvious Los Angeles rebrand will go a long ways to reinvigorate our fanbase and reputation.

If everything stays the same, then I will still continue to support.

ELAC has spoken.

14. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    el cazador's quote hurts my brain.
    but it's a "nice" way of saying the name's a bad idea.

15. BlackArmy1850

BlackArmy1850 New Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    We will support the Team, the poll was mis-read....so NO we will not stop supporting our team

16. PapaSmurf

PapaSmurf Member

Mar 2, 2012
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Golden State Warriors.

17. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Golden State=California

2) They are far from being Pros.

3) Thank you for the guaranteed 3 points.

4) Go back to your hole little Smurf, your opinions are irrelevant.

18. hovz1105

hovz1105 Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Westside
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I have a question for you guys, sorry to deviate, but if the team does what the trolls say and they bolt or cease to exist, what happens then?

Will you be a fan of

a) San Diego/Phoenix/Ect. Chivas
    b) Galaxy
    c) Lower Level LA Soccer Club
    d) Support other MLS Team non Galaxy
    e) Watch MLS, support no team

I've said in the past that I would just watch the League and not root for anyone. What say you guys since some of you go to HDC. I'm not sure who here goes to any Blues games or any of the other teams in the area's games.

srs question.

19. dino1er

dino1er Member

Jun 5, 2009
    east side of la
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pick c & e. I support local football, anything but the gals.

20. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    if that happened, id probably follow the squad - not because its chivas (i have no ties to the chivas brand) but because of the players on the team ive seen develop. dont know if id be as hardcore, though. its just so great having them local since the club is SOOO accessible to fans. especially since we're not all that popular. :D

i dont follow any latin american teams, so id go back to following La Liga and international ball.

locally - LA Blues, i guess. but VERY half-heartedly especially since the OC isnt exactly a close commute and its not like their games are on the tele. i followed them last year since chijindu was on the roster.

oh and my rec team. (anyone here play ball). should form some sort of CUSA rec team. we'd play bunker ball just like our goats!

knock on wood.

21. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F I would focus my money and energy on Baseball and Hockey. No more MLS or any soccer for me except USA.

22. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D) Support other MLS team

Might sound sacrilegious to some, but I can't get fully into something unless I have some sort of invested interest in it (i.e the NFL). So I would definitely need a team to support. That said, my GF supports the Earthquakes, and my parents have a house in Dallas.

23. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Im going to meet with the big boss tomorrow for Lunch
    ima tell hem to build the stadium in Santa Ana so we can also get rid of you jajajajajaja
    just kitting if you ever disappear you would leave and empty spot like – Roy Histerio- did once and I don’t want to feel like that ever again:eek:
    HovZ por que no eres un Niño normal..
    [​IMG]
    Es mas tu nunca te as gastado $1 en el club es mas creo Nunca as ido al HDC no se ni por que hablas o cual es tu Pdo jajaj a:D

24. U.S Chiva

U.S Chiva Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I will support the Quakes. I have to have some soccer in my life. Is like if I get dumped by my gf. I have to look for another one. But it wont happen!

If that happens I will be very, very happy to not have to read any more post from that hovz1105 person but probably he has another profile name for the quakes and every other team in the league.

25. U.S Chiva

U.S Chiva Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Rey me sorprendes con to voto. I tough you were a chivas asta la muerte, que sabe que chingaos jajaja