If the USA hosts Copa America 2016

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by KennyMac1986, Nov 6, 2013.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Possibly. Or his best position is left wing for us and we can find someone else at LB.
    Besides, I would imagine Klinsmann has probably seen a lot more Bundesliga than either you or I have and he seems very hesitant to put him at LB.

2. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Currently yes JK is very hesitant to put him at LB because we don't really have a true LB right now. Now since we have Julian Green though, who will most likely be playing at a mid-table BL squad by this tournament, that changes and we can then put Fabian back at LB. We'll also have Lichaj as well who can fill in at LB. However I think Fabian and Green might be the future.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Those things can happen.
    Or Fabian can be our Left wing/ mid and we can find someone more suitable as a true LB. It will be fun to see what happens there next cycle.

4. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ild be curious to see who gets the us tv rights for this tournament. Espn will be busy covering euro 2016, seems unlikely that they would cover both. Fox could use it as a stepping stone towards their coverage of world cups 2018 and 2022. Nbc have the olympics later in the summer but they've been trying to get into soccer the past few years, I'm sure they would love that.

I think good english language tv coverage by one of these three would help make this tournament a success

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #55 HomietheClown, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    I would Imagine Bein Sports is also in the picture since they are the first ones to report it.

That said, Gulati seems to be denying the reports so it is till not confirmed.

6. Kaptain_Amerika

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Donovan himself says otherwise...Skip to 6:15.

soccerusa517 repped this.
  7. AirMe

AirMe Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the scheduling was done properly, Euro games would be early and midday. Copa America games could be late afternoon and evening. Of course...I doubt ESPN wants to turn their channel into all soccer all the time for that long.

I hope it is not beIN. I hate their coverage. Plus I have to pay to get their channel added to my FIOS package.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard shouldn't even be on the team now.

9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know beIN has the 2015 Copa America rights, and IIRC I think they have the 2019 too. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they got this one too

10. DaNnYsOl09

DaNnYsOl09 Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Donovan, Dempsey and Jones are all done after this World Cup. Well they won't play in any more meaningful games at least.

ckl26 repped this.
  11. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think they had much competition for those bids in the US? I would think a 2016 bid would be tough for them to get if the big boys stepped up and wanted it

12. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones is "done" right now, Donovan looks like he's about there.
    Dempsey on the other hand doesn't have a game predicated on speed and is playing pretty damn well for Seattle right now, I think he has another couple years in him on the USMNT.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Say what? One of the best keepers in England and you don't think he should be on the team.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I can understand players who retire. Some feel they have lost it or want younger players to get their chances. I can understand players who offer to always answer a call up whenever and for whatever reason. But Donovan will be 32 soon. I don't see him playing at the Copa America. He's a great talismanic figure for us, but seriously there has to be younger players trying to force him out (competition of course). We need to think beyond him.

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will always let us down.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He makes mistakes when you don't think but he often makes up for those. Examples please.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be amazing for some of our guys like Agudelo and Bedoya. It's one of the uniquer experiences of being a part of the USMNT. You won't get a copa america in Europe.

18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghana

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can blame the defense as much as him.

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not when he gives up rebounds and is out of position.

CTS26 repped this.
  21. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Reminiscent of Near-Post Tony there. I think he was hurt and not quite himself after Emile Heskey channeled his inner Rafa Marquez on his sternum.

But Howard has been in great form for his club this year. Knock on wood it carries over to the WC. And if he loses it -- hopefully JK can make the call to Guzan.

22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Then they need to force him out. If they can't - tough $hit.

StillKickin repped this.
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds cool, so how do they decide who the 4th CONCACAF team is? Figure Costa Rica, Hondurus, Panama are locks...who's #4? Jamaica? Guat? ES? Canada?

Dempsey might be around for this, no chance for Jones, Donovan and Howard unlikely.

25. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US and Mexico will qualify automatically, the Champions of both the Caribbean and Central American cups will qualify and the other 2 will come from the Gold Cup