If the USA hosts Copa America 2016

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by KennyMac1986, Nov 6, 2013.

1. KennyMac1986

KennyMac1986 New Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Would Tim Howard and Landon Donovan still be starting for the USMNT? What an awesome final curtain call for both players on a National level.

2. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-23 competition I'd assume.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #3 PremierUSA, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    I think it'll be Guzan by 2016; though I'd have to at least give Howard an outside shot. I think Guzan is his only realistic competition for the foreseeable future. I also wouldn't rule out a platoon system.

For Donovan, I think it could depend on who the coach is. My gut feeling is JK wants to transition from Donovan. But if Donovan is still playing at a high enough level, he could force his hand.

4. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main thing would be, if the 2016 Copa America happens, it will happen during Euro 2016, more than likely. Meaning unlike most Copa Americas, if this tournament does happen we are looking at full strength Euro-based sides.

By 2016, I see Landon Donovan to be a Brad Davis type--A mentor that soldiers on in MLS. I can see him maybe get on the squad if his form is good, but we will probably see him off the bench more than anything else. I see a lot of good young midfielders coming up--Shea, Diskerud, Arriola, Bedoya, Gil, Gatt, Nagbe, Johannson...Etc. 3 years from now, Donovan may not be able to compete with some of those players.

Howard will likely get on that roster but as a backup.

5. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Does your gut feeling have something to do with the fact that LD is going to be 32 in Brazil?

6. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What does Brazil have to do with Copa America 2016? If you're going to talk down to me, at least do it right.

7. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I won't be completely shocked if Donovan is on the roster in 2018. Not as a starter, but a guy who can provide a spark off the bench in the last 15 minutes or so.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan will surely no longer play in international play after 2016. He would be 34. I highly doubt he would even play soccer anymore.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been saying this since the "Donovan to retire" nonsense was in full swing: Not only will Donovan be at the 2014 World Cup, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the 2018 World Cup roster.

Soccer at the 2016 summer Olympics would be U-23, as every Olympics is for soccer.

There is no World Cup, Gold Cup, or Confederations Cup in 2016... why would the US field a U-23 team (that will already be busy with Olympic qualifiers and possibly the Olympics), instead of a full strength team, for a major tournament, featuring some of the best teams in the world, being held on US soil??

Guinho repped this.
  10. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He'll be 36 in 2018, which is a year younger than Cuauhtemoc Blanco was in 2010. I'm not saying he WILL be on the plane to Russia...and I'm certainly not saying he'll be a starter....but I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me if he's brought along as a guy who can give that spark off the bench in the last 15 minutes.

11. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I meant given that Donovan was tired of soccer last year I would guess at the age of 36...he will be done with soccer altogether.

TheLostUniversity and DaveBrett repped this.
  12. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Meaning he will be 34 come 2016, 36 in 2018. I agree with you, this (Brazil) is probably his last run at it.

But you can come across a bit haughty in your assertions. You probably don't mean it that way, maybe it is your phrasing...

13. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #13 PremierUSA, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Well then you should've said Donovan would be 34 in 2016. Brazil has nothing to do with CA16.

As it stands, Donovan has great genetics/work ethic and my money is on him playing at a high level even at 34. Even now at 31, he's still faster than most the players on any given pitch.

I don't think Donovan was tired of soccer as much as he was tired of getting almost no downtime. It's too hard to say where Donovan will be in five years. I know he plans on playing for the national team beyond the World Cup though.

14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I think Gold Cup 2015 his what he hopes to be his swan song.

15. ktabz

ktabz Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    darlington nagbe, copa america 2016 golden boot winner.

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. and this is why I talk the way I do.

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan might retire from internationals after the 2014 World Cup.

ckl26 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most teams field full strength squads during Copa America. At least the South American teams do (I know as an invite the US hasn't always).

19. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He might. But, he's on the record as saying he wants to play beyond the WC on the NT.

20. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't surprise me if this tourney ended up being Olympic prep or full of B teams. I'm still happy it's happening, but I don't expect teams to go all out for it

21. AirMe

AirMe Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with it being the 100 year anniversary of the competition that it would be a full blown team. At least I would hope it would be.

I think with the Euro's going on at the same time, chances are great that we are going to see a full strength US squad if it is indeed held in the US. They are going to want to show that we can compete against strong competition in front of the home fans. We could only hope that we end up in a semi-final match against Mexico with the match taking place in Columbus.

dredgfan and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If both Howard and Donovan are still starting by 2016, there is something the matter. There comes a time when younger and more challenging players need to have their chances. Guzan should be no.1 by then and I'd figure Donovan would have retired allowing guys like Shea/Agudelo to step up and even more to challenge for his spot.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He really should. Donovan should know we need younger guys on the NT. He's inspired a new generation and has mentored them, he should remove himself from being an obstacle. Though obviously we need him, but not as if we need him another 5 years.

24. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Totally agree regarding Donovan, but I think Howard would be able to continue to compete with Guzan for the top spot if he decides to stay on. As for Donovan there are too many good young players that will push him out. 4 + years is a long time

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    $$$$$$$$$$ This would be a huge success