If Messi played for a real weak country, would he be the greatest

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Diego Maradona, Dec 2, 2012.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well that meant ALOT. Brazil NT were ALWAYS among the best if NOT the best in atatck at every single WC, ... until lately!

This present Argentina were >> Argentina 86 and > Argentina90. If put messi in Argentina 86, I would say MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.
    This present Argetina squad were at least same as Brazil98 of Ronaldo (w/o Romario)
    This Argentina squad were > Italy 2006

Winning WC were NEVER EASY.
    But at his PEAK form (Messi now >70goals seasons) plus a very good squad support, that MISSION IS VERY VERY possible!

2. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Messi should be charged for his performance, which should be better than WC10, obviously. It would be disappointing if Messi ended his WC14 without average of one goal per match, at least, despite not being the player more closest to goal.

It is possible, after all, Messi is most decisive player today and World Cup is played on playoffs. But the difference of Argentina in comparison with Spain or Germany - and other teams, note that I said that Argetina almost lost to Brazil under-23 - is very large. It is my point.

Messi will play great level (obligation), Argentina has improved in last 12 months and probably will arrive in good level in competition. But winning the World Cup is extremely difficult, and I realize that many do not have this view.

And about comparing Argentina12-13 vs other teams, I can talk later about Argentina 86/90. But compare Brasil98 and Italy06 is ridiculous; both teams were much better than current Argentina.

3. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    For all this, I hope that Messi has a great individual performance. That's all expect from him, and this is entirely possible.

Once repped this.
  4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    First bold, that was my point too. Messi should pull up a great performance at WC level (the toughest) regardless if the team would win it or not!
    Look in the past,
    1- without Romario, Ronaldo Brazil would NEVER reach WCfinal on 3 consecutive events 94-02 PERIOD - the same would APPLY to Messi.

2- Another counter example, France 2002 were reagrded as the BEST NT in the world, yet with a small injury of Zidane, the team CRASHED out in group stage with the worst ever performance of an "ex- WC winner" !
    That's to SHOW how a legend AFFECTED their team

Last bold, that was a BOLLOCK statement.

Brazil 98 were oNLY good on paper in that team no more no less. They were a favorite to win that WC just becuase of Ronaldo and Ronario names. That team without Ronaldo FIT (in final) looked like a 2nd string team with 0-3 lost against a so "defensive team" in France.

Italy 2006 were the SOLID but NOT like a team to win WC for sure. They were stronger than Argentina (12-13) in defense but much weaker in attack... So ...
    NOTE: Italy were ranked as 12 (out of top10) before winning the WC06. Argentina now is #3 - so much difference!

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Messi was from India he'd probably play for Spain and would probably already be a WC champion.

6. FROADS

FROADS Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    If Messi was Peruvian, he'd go out and drink a lot and have sex with a lot of sluts. Our players aren't the most disciplined bunch.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    if that? messi would be a Cricket player ...

8. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How did they (Arg '86) manage to concede 0 against Belgium (Semi Finals), 0 against Bulgaria, 1 vs Italy, 1 vs So. Ko, 1 vs. 1 vs. England (Quarter Finals) This represents the statistics of a DEFNSIVELY SOUND team. The team is better than people make them out to be

9. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is a key point. There were no teams that were as significantly dominant as Spain or Germany were in 2010, in 1986.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tevez was decisive for Argentina at CA04 and the Olympics in Athens. It's been difficult for the others to be decisive since the plays all run through Messi.

11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'm repeating myself but that the tournament is played in South America is a huge benefit. Historically those events are won by South American sides. The various official technical studies by the FIFA, which you can find on the internet, also identifies this and points at a number of plausible reasons for why that is the case..

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Brazil and France ... but they faced off each other ...

Please ... I do not CARE how you guys rate those teams *BIASED as always

All I can say is FACT: Argentina now is rated as #3 in the world and are now favorite to win WC.
    Argentina 1986 were not in the list to win WC

13. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    After C.Ronaldo

14. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that the lower relative competition at the younger age levels would make it harder for him to develop early on which would make it less likely that, in this case, the Barca academy would feel compelled to take a chance on him. Obviously there are exceptions - Best and Weah have been cited - but it makes it a lot rarer than in a place like Argentina, where he's facing great competition early on.

15. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    :cry:

16. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good points I think he meant if he already was an established professional and played the same way

17. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    I can not disagree, but do not know if it will be a decisive factor for Argentina (certainly is something important for Brazil). And there is no way disagree that Germany and Spain are far superior than Argentina. I do not see Argentina being able to support these two teams, perhaps with much defense, luck and Messi deciding.

Tevez is idolized and valued, fans identify with him, even in these two tournaments that you quoted. He hasn't a solid and consistent career for Argentina; does not justify the hype. And I disagree about Messi ''overshadow'' his teammates; in Argentina, Messi is a creator.

18. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fat Ronaldo had the best NT team and Rivaldo as did Ronaldinho (who doesnt even belong in this conversation) Ronaldo had scholes, xabi alonso, ozil, di maria.

Oh and Xavi and Iniesta only assisted I believe 8 of Messi's 91 goals last season, idiot pocho

19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well "fat" Ronaldo shone in 3 WC , 2 Copa ... with 4 to 5 different Brazil teams - 97 copa was different from WC98, different to Copa99, and different to WC02 and WC06 ...
    - Copa97 MVP
    - WC98 goldenball
    - Copa99 Topscorer
    - WC02 goldenboot and silverball
    - WC06 bronzeboot
    Please no more excuses for Messi in last copa and WC.

You guys have to be more positive to look forward to his performance in next WC14.

20. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Everyone of those teams had multiple Ballon d'Or/FWPOTY winners. How did Ronaldo do in

CL98-99
    CL00-01
    CL02-03
    CL03-04
    CL04-05
    CL05-06
    CL06-07

?

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Okay, but India was merely the example given by the thread starter. I meant of course that if Messi was from a country that doesn't have a football tradition and was playing in the Spanish league, he'd probably play for Spain's NT, and he'd probably be a World Cup champion by now.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They were in fact a very solid defensive team, and the offense was only Maradona and Valdano. But that was by design. Pretty much Bilardo's idea, very much questioned and hated in Argentina at the time.

Other than Diego and Valdano he had three central defenders, two laterals who mostly defended, two defensive midfielders, and one link player on the wing. I guess Bilardo figured -rightly- that it was enough to win the Cup.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  23. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I cant argue with somebody who think Xavi and Inieta have nothing to do with Messi's success, you are not smart enought for a serious debate.

24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Probably it doesn't reach a culer but in 1986 there was also a greater amount of decent teams. Argentina did not meet all of them, or the best of them, but the amount of decent teams -who had a reasonable possibility to inflict damage - was greater.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No great team in the level of a Brazil 70, Netherlands 74, Hungary 58 type, but lots of very good teams, I thought. France, Brazil, Germany, Soviet Union, Denmark, Spain, England, Belgium all good teams. Even Italy the defending champion and Uruguay had tons of talent but underachieved.

Argentina did not meet some of the most dangerous teams, and it's possible that France/Brazil/Denmark/Soviets might have given them trouble, but I thought they still had a tough road.

Ok, easy group along with Italy, but then having the pressure of meeting a traditional regional rival like Uruguay is always a difficult task. Then came England and of course the pressures of the recent war added to a team that was very confident coming in. Belgium maybe less tough but still a difficult style to go against, they were beating very good teams. And Germany very solid and an all-time highly ranked defense. Nothing to sneer at.

Pipiolo and Skorenzy repped this.