If Messi played for a real weak country, would he be the greatest

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Diego Maradona, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Of course, messi would be the greatest ever under any circumstances

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Including if he weren't any good?

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    :eek:
    Yeah, if only all those individual talents didn't play the same 2 or 3 positions.

I like how you carefully structured your words in order to make Argentina minus-Messi seem as good or better than, say, Germany. "if we look at individual talents". lol ;)

If you compare position-by-position:
    - Germany is unquestionably stronger than Argentina in 6/11 positions (goalkeeper, back 4, plus Khedira > Gago),
    - 2 are roughly equal (Masch v Schweinsteiger; Gomez/Klose v Higuain)
    - Argentina are stronger in probably 3/11 (Messi > Ozil; Di Maria >Kroos; Aguero > Podolski/Reus/Muller) . But only 2/10 if you exclude Messi. Since you wrote "Messi has the strongest team around him", I'm not sure if this is what you meant(?)

4. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    I'd say Higuain > Gomez/Klose

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Higuain is better than Gomez, and I would say Coloccini is better than either of the centerbacks for Germany. Mascherano goes against Khedira in a side by side comparison, and the Argie wins that one. So, Messi, DiMaria, Aguero, Higuain, Mascherano and Coloccini are all advantages for Argentina, and I'm not so sure Schweinsteiger is better than a match fit Banega.

Absolutely.

6. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    lol at this thread, Messi is a solid 8 without Xavi and Iniesta, maybe like a 7.5

7. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Coloccini is in no way better than the German center backs
    Mascherano and Khedira cancel each other out
    Messi, Di Maria, Aguero and Higuain are all fowards. Argentina has the best foward line up in the world imo and any country will kill to have those players in their attack, but you can't win competitions with just great attacker while being average everywhere else. And with all those strikers, Messi (as he's been positionned since Riquelme stopped playing for the NT) has been playing as an advanced play maker with either Higuain or both Higuain & Aguero playing in front of him. You can't expect him to be the number creator and at the same time to be the one finishing of the occasions, so we have to accept that he'll score less with the NT.

Oh and Schweinsteiger >> Banega

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    By the same token, Mascherano >> Khedira.

Messi does not need to score lots of goals when you have Higuain and Aguero up front and DiMaria as the other offensive midfielder, he just needs to make the key plays. To me, it is far more difficult to assemble a great attacking force (which Argentina already has) than to build a solid defense.

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Messi could have with Argentina... but he didn't.

10. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    And are you saying he doesn't make key plays??? I don't know if you watched last COPA, but if you did, have you forgotten how many clear cut goal occasions he set Higuain, Lavezzi & Aguero (most especially Higuain though) up with and they failed to capitalize on them???
    And i personally don't agree that it's far more difficult to assemble a great attack than to build a solid defense. But like you agreed also, Argentina already has a great striking force, so they're not in the problem of trying to assemble one. But we can't say the same about their midfield and defense.

Just by curiosity though, what do you think Mascherano does better than Khedira apart from long range passes???

11. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Messi is the "best" player in the world, his job is to win games not to set up plays for Higuain.

I'm sorry but if you cant score at least one goal against Costa Rica's u23, you are not the best player in the world in my eyes.

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mascherano is a far better man-marker than Khedira, and so far, a better WC performer.

I agree with this, Messi has to win the tough matches for Argentina.

13. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Fat Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, and even Kaka never had anything close to a Xavi-Iniesta, and yet they got things done on their own.

Messi is def the most overrated player in the history of the game.

14. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Last time i checked, Khedira had a better WC performance in 2010 than Mascherano did.
    Why does Messi "have to" win the games for Argentina because the strikers (note that he's playing as a playmaker) can't finish off the goal occasions he sets them up with???

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No he didn't.

16. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    It's too easy to destroy the examples you used, but it will be of no use since you're obviously trolling.

17. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    lol If you say so...

18. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    destroy what?

Kaka had Pirlo and that's it.

Fat Ronaldo was all him, never needed anybody anywhere he went.

Ronaldinho had Eto, I don't think Deco was as good as Xavi or Iniesta.

Zidane had who? a young Henry? Anelka :D

19. ilea510

ilea510 New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Baton Rouge Capitals
    he was when he started

20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Mascherano is a one dimensional player who has never even properly established himself in midfield at an elite side - unless you count liverpool :D

21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    This entire thread should just make it’s way to the Dumbest Post thread in WR.

Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  22. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    I thinks the talent of Argentina NT (except Messi, of course) is overestimated in BS (and others forums). It seems that only I have this vision.

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Name me a few Brazilians (except Neymar) are in calibre of Tevez, Di Maria, Aguero, Lavezzi, Pastore and even Higuain as ATTACKER?

You can also add names for other NT side by side ...

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    People are fond of "double standard"

the issue is that when talking about Messi's greatness (with Barca) most his fans claimed he was Great CREATOR + FINISHER (a la Pele )

Messi got 23 SHOTS in WC2010 with zero % conversion rate ... that HAD NOTHING todo with "weak defense" as one claimed. Now if we use his goals conversion rate at Barca (>35%) into last WC, he would have scored at least 5,6 goals (out of those 20+ shots) - and if he DID, I am quite sure Argentina would be in the FINAL

25. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Argentina has more talented ''attackers'' than Brasil, but that does not mean much. None of these players mentioned played a good 2012-2013 season. None of them was decisive at some point in their careers in national team. In addition, ''position vs position'' is often not a fair comparison. If you want to compare with Brasil, remember that the Brasil U-23 almost won over Argentina in June. If it was not Messi, probably would have been a Brazilian victory.

My point is that Argentina winning World Cup 2014 is almost impossible, something that should not be ''charged'' for Messi as something easy or very possible, as I have read here and elsewhere. Or compare with Pelé, Maradona (even him) or Ronaldo, Messi has a mission much more difficult than they had.

The only chance of Argentina winning this tournament is Messi decide on all games, and even so do not know if it is enough.