If I Hear the Word "Moneyball" One More F'n Time... : Summer Transfer Thread II

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    you mean Ramirez, Borini, and Dempsey? ;-)

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the CB?

3. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He could have had any number of good players for less than Downing cost.

4. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just don't like Dempsey. He's a d*ck imho. If we must have him perhaps Bellers could do some attitude readjustment work on him with his 7 iron...

burning247 repped this.
  5. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will wait until I see them touching the This is Anfield sign

6. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So all the reliable English media are saying the interest in Ramirez left with Comolli, Borini sounds like a done deal, and I have no idea what to make of the Dempsey rumblings. Not sure if I'm reading too much into Rodgers' about the signing being "a real exciting one for the club", but seems like either Dempsey or Borini would fall a little short of that description.

Then again, the meltdown on this board if Dempsey signed would be tremendous.

7. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm going to disagree with him being complete and utter crap. They changed manager and Gylfi, and many other players in the squad, didnt fit into Babbels style of play. Some eventually adjusted but Gylfi was shipped out after 7 games. The previous season at Hoffenheim he was their player of the season.

IMO both the club and the player will regret this transfer. If VDV stays and they bring in other attackers he'll be sitting on the bench like Kranjcar did while we need someone from midfield who can slot the ball away rather than create an endless amount of wasted chances. His goals would eased the pressure of Carroll, Suarez and Gerrard. As its stands now our attackers are going to have to be twice as clinical under Rodgers as his football is not as direct as the Kings was.

8. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    There was some rumors about Granero too.

9. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but few better than Dempsey for the money...

usscouse repped this.
  10. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia
    Iv followed Borini since he signed for Chelsea in 2007 . He was dominant in the ressies and his loan to Swansea only showcased his talent. Gutted we let him go , but his agent pushed for a move elsewhere. He is an excellent finisher , with a remarkable ability on the deadball. Another great attribute is that he is an extremely hard worker . Him with Suarez upfront would be quite a combination , hes not a true #9 but it could be a interesting with the way B.Rodgers manages his teams.

LiverpoolFanatic and StiltonFC repped this.
  11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He wasn't so good with them and he wasn't happy with his role as a squad player.

As for Borini, I have seen him play a bunch of times with Roma this season and I'm going to make the analogy again, he's like an Italian version of T. Müller. Doesn't stay in place, hard to mark, unpredictable (in a good way), always gets into good positions and a good finisher.

12. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but until we hear something from Carroll himself talking about how "I love the Italian game, afterall..." I'm not giving much credence to this. Not to say it will never happen, but I won't get worried until I hear both the coach and the player say they maybe see a future somewhere else.

13. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say this until the goals start going in. Would love Dempsey with us in theory, but in reality, I am not so sure that I see this happening. Wasn't he clamoring on about CL football anyway? Borini seems a no-brainer. Obviously BR is sweet on the guy, which must say something and he put 10 in the net on 26 games for Roma last year. Not bad for a young'un.

14. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Why would we loan out Carroll? We spend £30 million, stick by him when he was still recovering from his injury and just as he hits form, the season ends, he carries it to the Euros and now "Oh I dont know about you Carroll" even before the man has come back from his holdays and done any pre-season. He is not and probably will not be the ideal man for the team but it is a bit disrespectful.
    We know how the Aquilani move panned out at AC Milan similar thing will happen to Carroll. And why the ******** are we loaning out people in the first place?

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Rodgers today said he will not completely dismiss the idea of Carroll going on loan.

I just don't see it, to be honest. As the transfer blog at football365 said, "If Rodgers can get Danny Graham to function in his system, surely he can do the same with Andy Carroll?"

16. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ". Rodgers is also in a smouldering funk over Fulham's goal-strike kicker Clint Dempsey, who could be on his way for an incredible £17m." (from Guardian rumor mill) - even as a Yank and Dempsey fan, I'm not seeing him worth anywhere near that.

17. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey the clinical finisher:

"Clint Dempsey: Had a conversion rate of 11.6% last season; of the 21 players with 10+ PL goals only Suarez (9%) & vd Vaart (10.8%) had worse"

Wingtips1 repped this.
  18. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    based on what? and £12-14M would be more like it, unless there's a bidding war

19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, you get rid of Suarez and pick up Dempsey and you improve by 2.6%. Bingo

propeller74 repped this.
  20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is Kuyt's replacement in the squad. Based on last year's form, that is an upgrade. He shouldn't cost that much (10m) considering age and going in to last year of contract. Contract length is everything, no more than 3 years.

Like to see big Andy get a chance to prove himself in the system. We need forwards and he can be effective if people are close to him. Give him another year. He isn't on big wages.

21. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    Not too thrilled over dempsey to be honest and at 17 mil, I think that's too much.

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if it is 17M, that's too much, but a 25% discount over that wouldn't be too bad. he's a scorer. he wouldn't be the defensive player Kuijt is/was, but the reason to have Dempsey is scoring, not defending.

23. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a kick in the nuts for him after the promise he started to show over the last couple of months of the season. There will be plenty of minutes for everyone w/ the addition of the Europa this season.

24. LFChile

LFChile Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The problem with Andy is that he lacks the one quality that anyone who would aspire to have a chance to start in his teams needs........ball control.

I don't think Carroll would play a big part in Rodgers plans for that reason alone, never mind his problems with speed and mobility (Aspects Rodgers looks for in his strikers).

25. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If its your opinion thats fine, but curious wha'd he ever do? I use to think he loafed and moped a little bit when he was younger, but now I see a guy who goes out there and takes a pounding for a full 90, draws fouls, and carries a bag of suarez-like tricks. Never heard of a clubhouse incident with either NER or FFC, but I might have missed.