If I Hear the Word "Moneyball" One More F'n Time... : Summer Transfer Thread II

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah I don't think so. Im reading between the lines that outside some nominal purchases that Rodgers has been told to make a go of it with the talent he has - if he does well then the owners might open the purse a bit.

I hope that's not the case - but it just seems that way.

propeller74 repped this.
  2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i understand that Cole is an excellent cook, French cuisine. his specialty is coq au vin. he uses fine Australian table wine, Louis St. Wagga Wagga*, for example.

*it's a Monty Python reference.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  3. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
  4. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slightly modified thread title. Hey, writing is re-writing. ;)

5. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I get the same feeling, but think its as much the case of a new manager wanting to complete a good assessment of the existing squad before committing to any big moves. Hope I'm wrong but it is beginning to look like a very quiet summer for us.

6. ThatEndDown

ThatEndDown Member+

Dec 2, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As I was saying, it is beginning to look like a very eventful summer for us...

8. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you are right. I can't see us signing more than one player if we do sign any at all.

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I quite like Ramirez - but I'm just not sure he's an instant impact player - which I think we all agreed is what we need. Course as always with my recent pessimism - I really hope I'm wrong.

(Oh and he's a total Moneyroundobject player too!)

10. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank goodness. I've been trying to teach these people what an ellipsis is. :p

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It's an American football...!

Isn't it?

StiltonFC repped this.
  12. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As far as I'm concerned, Patrice Evra is a little ellipsis...

13. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If Tomkins is right about us agreeing to get Ramirez, I'm ecstatic. He's exactly what we need. Creative. Quick. Eye for goal. Everything that Downing should be, but isn't.

14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Round up for the day:
    We're back in for Borini after Roma supposedly bought him in order to sell him.

Fenerbache are ready to offer 6m for Aquilani.

Rodgers wants Bellamy to stay.

Whelan won't allow Moses to leave for under 10m.

Salomon Kalou will not be joining us (thank god) as he is having his medical at Lille. With that and the signing of Marvin Martin, Lille is not going to come be taking Cole permanently.

15. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    He looks good.

16. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

We also apparently lead the Sturridge race, though Tottenham is trying to hijack it again.

I'd prefer Borini though. Signing both would be pointless unless we sell Carroll as well, which I believe would be a mistake.

17. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Scouser strikes!

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really hope we get Ramirez. He already has an incentive with Coates and Suarez here and he'd be exactly what we need.

19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly what is needed is somebody(s) who can score 19 goals more than last season. you realize that LFC scored 47 goals. for. tee. seven. score that many more and maybe its CL , not EL based on the CC.

20. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think that LM scored 78 goals in SPD, CL & CDR last season. How many did LFC put in during EPL, CC & FAC? (sorry, I couldn't help myself!)

lotsogolazo repped this.
  21. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that this might be the case, but FSG has never been shy about making a splash in free agency in baseball or overpaying for players (daisuke matsuzaka anyone?) so I don't see why the situation at Liverpool would be any different. LFC must generate a ton more $$ than the RSox do, so they have some funds. (Unfortunately they had to pay off debts from Tweedledee and Tweedledum and get he books straight.) While they can't compete with a Saudi Prince, as long as we can convince top players to come on over to a non-CL club, then I would see them dropping the coin. We aren't Billy Beane and the Oakland A's.

Do we need to be smart about our buys? Absolutely. We need value players to compete and a system like BR's that doesn't require stars at every position to be effective, is a great start to get us on the path back to glory. I am sure that he is being told that he needs to work with what we have, but he may genuinely think that we have good players that were not well used and needs to access that first before going crazy on the transfer market. He hasn't a clue yet who will be committed to the system/ club or not. While some of the summer signings may appear underwhelming at first, I would imagine that there will be a lot of unsung role players, on this club and the perception will change right quick. I am really excited about this season, even if we don't sign anyone. (but I don't believe that will be the case). Not overpaying for Gylfi is a good start in my opinion. Let Spurs suffocate themselves.

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think you're wrong. the Bosox play 81 league home games. revenues from those games are around $270M. Liverpool plays 19 league home matches. revenue from those matches is nowhere near that amount. of course there is additional revenue from other sources, but thinking that the Bosox generate more revenue than Liverpool isn't sound. i didn't do a lot of checking, but what figures i came up with don't support your contention.

23. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a limited view. Venue revenues make up only a (small) portion of the take for clubs. You have to think about television, merchandising and everything else entailed. Liverpool is a serious global brand which the Red Sox are not. EPL games are telecast to every corner of the globe now. With more baseball games come more operating costs. The Red Sox also have to carry salaries of 4-5 levels of minor league levels. It's a much more bloated situation, not to mentioned the revenue sharing required of the top MLB clubs, which LFC does not have to deal with.

The key issue is understanding profits and I am too lazy to look any of that info up right now!

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What we need is to take the pressure of Suarez and people that can play with him. We need more intelligent and creative players, the goals will come.

Wingtips1 and bayern is god repped this.
  25. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    I actually agree with ze German. We need players to complement Suarez. I said it a while back... An AM and a good winger (or two) would be tantamount. A striker would be nice too of course but I'm still hoping carroll might surprise us next season. If not, maybe we can look into other options after the end of next season. /shrug