Idaho

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by GOALSeattle, May 21, 2008.

1. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Seems like $20/$25 is a little pricey to see essentially a reserve game.

I bet there's enough support in the Treasure Valley to support a PDL team. It's too bad there's not some sort of USL2 Western division.

Based on my purely anecdotal evidence it seems there's a big disconnect between soccer as a participation sport and soccer as a spectator sport in the area.

By the way, are there any posters on BS from Idaho?

4. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is massively overpriced.

They must think their audience is starving for soccer.

Not that I have a clue about Idaho soccer hunger, but at those prices, I'll be impressed if they get over 500 people.

6. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    By "in the area" do you mean the United States? Because if so, then I agree.

7. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I travel to boy-c often for work and have actually been staying in Meridian off of Franklin. Last time I was out there, I was quite pleasantly surprised to have my hotel overrun with kids for a soccer tournament.

After talking with the managers/owners of both indoor facilities it seems the demand for pro soccer mostly would come from Chivas and/or Club America fans in the area. So it probably makes sense to bring in a game with Chivas somewhat attached to it.

9. Dustinho

Dustinho Member

May 12, 2000
    So Cal
    This is a good start for soccer in Boise! They will be a good contender to fill in for Seattle's potential void in USL-1. I remember seeing somewhere the USL is trying to expand in these types of markets.

I will be there if they do!!!

10. harmsway01

harmsway01 New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Oregon
    The ticket price is likely do to bringing in the Chivas name and/or to recoup some of hte 30K it cost to lay sod on the infield.

11. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those in the know:

Is the motorway going to erect seating in the infield or are the spectators going to watch from across the track?

12. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    The USL-1 Seattle Sounders GM has claimed publicly that the Seattle Sounders are not apart of this.

Seems to me that the entire story is just a piss up!:D

13. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy from Meridian involved in this 'venture' has talked to both the Sounders and Portland Timbers. The Sounders have other plans and a tight schedule so the article's info that they might be involved in any way is wrong. Don't know about the Timbers.

14. skapunkeric

skapunkeric New Member

May 23, 2008
    I paid $40 for infield tickets and im pretty excited except for the weather, ill give a report when i get back!

15. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what they did friday night, but when I flew over today there were no seats inside the track. The goals are still up though.

16. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, that looks like a horribly ugly setup, but maybe the picture is misleading. But, I'd be thrilled to see Boise represented. Boise is about the size of Spokane (cities, not metros), and Spokane has had PDL for a while.

17. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aa far as I can tell, this whole thing has been an underfunded disaster.

The Sounders were approached, but NEVER were involved.

Then Tacoma Tide of the PDL were approached, and agreed to play last night in Tukwila against the Chivas outfit. They even announced the match on Sat. night at their home game v. BYU.

Then I got an email Monday from the Tide owners saying the people from Idaho had 'failed to secure the stadium' and that the match was cancelled.

Sorry, Idaho. We'd love for you to have a club, but these guys appear to not be trustworthy.

18. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's soccer goals and a pretty nice looking pitch in the middle of the race track. Someone spent some pre-emptive cash...or some sod provider got ripped off.

19. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
  20. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idaho Soccer Center hosts the local "Chapala" restaurant workers on Monday and Wednesday nights from 10 till midnight. You could probably get some pretty good info there.

21. nthemsum

nthemsum Member

Jan 14, 2006
    boise,id
    Boisean here,

I dont believe that any improvements were planning on being made to the stadium to facilitate soccer but the seats around the track provide a good overview of the entire center area. It basically is like a field surrounded by a track, and provided that most gridiron stadiums have a track around their field, fans are slightly use to this premise.

The speedcourse stadium is based in downtown meridian which has a population of around 60,000, and the city itself grows larger every year. Boise is where the main population base, in which the city of boise has a round 200,000 people. The entire treasure valley to include boise, meridian, caldwell, nampa, eagle and kuna consists of somewhere around 500,000 people.

I would like to see how this adventure goes because I would gladly support a team in the area. Soccer is popular in boise but at the player level meaning there are a number of people especially adults playing soccer and if they could turn those players into supporters then boise has a chance. The area also has a large hispanic, bosnian, and african population. If a team was created here I would like to something better then a lower minor league team. Boise is full of minor league sports that lack quality and the are is begging for something more. In baseball we have rookie A league, hockey is AA, Basketball is DNBA, and the football is arena league 2. So the area needs something a little better then 18 years playing knock around at the park. I do believe that a USL1 or 2 team could work here and would be greatly recieved by the community.

22. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm getting in late on the discussion, but I heard about this last week from another source. I understand that the game or games are being played to determine if the market would support a team.

Also, a couple months back USL's Tim Holt mentioned Boise as one of the places they are looking at for USL-1 expansion. But the list was long and full of places that fit their mold or are being targeted by a specific group.

23. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
    http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/wh...lp-hawks-with-new-stadium/Content?oid=2371231

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit Imagine having a car race and a soccer game going on at the same time, oh they better get fast ball boys :D

Move Chivas USA to Boise! :p

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about massive thread resurrection. 2008?

I think a PDL team in the Boise area makes perfect sense. I am fairly confident that they could also support a USL Pro team (better than LA or Dayton I bet).

But I don't know about a PDL or USL team paying rent to offset a multi-million stadium improvement. Usually the PDL teams are the charity, not the other way around.