I thought MLS Rules were in place to prevent "the NASL scenario"

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ENB Sports, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    This in general is one of the biggest issues in our present society.

In our willingness to hear everyone we have allowed the supremely stupid, ignorant, etc to to grind our system to halt. They have to be heard, and heaven forbid u point out just how stupid they are...then u are the cretin.

Yet we clog our system and inevitably destroy our economy because of these types of fools.

Such a waste and drag on our system. More destructive than most realize. The time, energy and resources wasted having to teach the stupid the multiplication table while we need advanced calculus is a burden that we can no longer handle IMO.

profiled repped this.
  2. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Not to turn this into a political debate, but I halfway agree with you here. I have no problem with teaching one group of kids algebra while the smart kids are learning calculus.

We've turned into a society that is so afraid of hurting people's feelings that we've retarded the development of everyone to spare the feelings of a few.

If there is anything to learn from social media, its that not everyone's opinion should be heard.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the ignoscenti create page views, which keep this particular enterprise going. As it's not my money, it's easy for me to say the management should remove things that contribute to keeping the enterprise going.

Kinda like MLS, no?

4. Unmarked

Unmarked Member

Aug 31, 2012
    It's funny, the same people who say Europeans would quickly adapt to a playoff system now say that Americans would never embrace a league without playoffs. What does this say about their view on Americans.

It has been said that Americans would never embrace soccer because there are too many draws and it's low scoring. Guess what, Americans are adapting and embracing the game for what it is. The same would be true it MLS had pro/rel and no playoffs. To say otherwise demonstrates incredible ignorance.

5. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This needs to be the default response for whenever a concern troll shows up to tell us how MLS should be run...

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether or not Americans would embrace the concepts of pro/rel and no playoffs is not the primary reason those concepts have not (and likely will not) come to pass. I have no doubt the "foreign-ness" of those concepts would be eventually disregarded; the concepts themselves are not difficult to understand.

Our point is that because the investor/operators - who actually make these types of decisions - are highly, highly unlikely to vote in the majority to embrace those concepts anytime soon, if at all, it's a non-starter.

The "Americans wouldn't embrace this" idea isn't even close to the top reason why they're not going to happen.

HailtotheKing and Roger Allaway repped this.
  7. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Who ever said this?

Americans have always embraced the game. Its not like this is some new phenomenon. But the world's perception of American soccer fans is that we're all stupid and ignorant and don't appreciate the game. Unfortunately, the exact opposite is true. A person living in Des Moines, Iowa has more access to live EPL soccer on TV than someone living in London.

We have more access to virtually every league on planet earth than anyone anywhere else does. As such, MLS is held to a higher standard, which is why it has taken so long for the league to really gain the momentum it now enjoys.

As far as Pro/Rel, without getting into the impossible nature of the suggestion, people like yourself who just think that the world should emulate England always fail to take cultural differences into account. And there are inherent cultural differences, not only with the fans, but with the people that own the teams, that would make pro/rel unrealistic in this country.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, the World Cup and the Champions League are like the Kardashians?

Generally speaking, the YA posters, including those based in Europe, are by and large far more educated on the game, having grown up with it.

MLS forums tend to devolve into "US vs. the world" shouting contests from a lot of "Johnnies-come-lately" instead of, for the lack of a better term, embracing the differences that the global game entails.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end... yes. Unless you're in the stadium, you're watching a TV show. And if you never come closer to a live game than your TV set, you're no different than someone who'll faithfully watch American Idol or The X Factor or The Voice weekly, but never once set foot into a local venue for live music.

I could almost include myself in that category, BTW. I'm an FC Dallas fan who lives in Colorado. I go to DSGP whenever FCD comes to town, but my attendance at Rapids games against other teams has been almost non-existent. It probably has something to do with the fact that I don't actually live in Denver. It is what it is.